Deployment CRM plugin on Production server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just a basic query, How do i deploy the plugin to a production server without transferring the source code & registering the DLL's for the same.

Also can I build a standard installation module (using install shield, etc) for the same to be delivered to the client with final delivery.

Devesh
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• To add to this, if you are using the plugin context to get your CRM service, then you don't need to worry about how to set the URL address for your calls.  If you are doing explicit calls, then you need to provide a mechanism to get the CRM server URL yourself.  Some people pull this from the CRM settings in the registry others deploy settings to the config files that can be referenced by the plugin.
    Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi, you should use crm sdk to register your plugin, check this
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc151099.aspx
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:32 AM

• You could also.

1- Download the registration tool. URL below.
    2- Copy the Compiled DLL file to the production server.
    3- Register the DLL using the Registration tool. (Disk or Database. For disk you'll need to copy to the assembly folder.)

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Hi Hassan,

Do I need to change any settings in config.xml while building the DLL? Where do i give the web service reference link for production server or does the registration tool take care of this?

Thanks in advance.

Devesh
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

If you are deploying your plugin into database, than you could easily do that without deploying your plugin's  dll to the production server.

Using plugin registration tool,

create a new connection to your production server
    register your assembly ( choose option of database)
    and finally register steps and images as required

( However to do all this you need to be added as a deployment administrator using deployment manager tool on the production server)

Regards,
    Nishant Rana

http://nishantrana.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:18 PM
  • You don't need a web reference to the crm when making a plugin. Make a reference to microsoft.crm.sdk.dll and microsoft.crm.sdktypeproxy.dll. 
    If your working with custom entities or custom attributs on standard entities then you have to use Dynamic Entities.

/c

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:44 PM
  • To add to this, if you are using the plugin context to get your CRM service, then you don't need to worry about how to set the URL address for your calls.  If you are doing explicit calls, then you need to provide a mechanism to get the CRM server URL yourself.  Some people pull this from the CRM settings in the registry others deploy settings to the config files that can be referenced by the plugin.
    Matt, MVP - Dynamics CRM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:01 PM