2011 WHS boot disk failure. Is restore from backup possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately my 2TB WD Caviar Green disk died.  It was the boot disk to my WHS 2011. I also had a Hitachi 2GB installed to backup the main drive.  First I tried removing the bad drive and just rebooting with the Hitachi backup.  System reports that the disk is not a bootable device.  When I externally mount it on another Windows system to retrieve the data, the system reports that access is denied.  So how do I use the backup drive to either rebuild my WHS or at least get the data from it.  Do I need to  reinstall WHS on a new disk and then use the backup to restore or is there another way to access the data. I'm thinking I'll just move all the backups to the cloud.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Edited by TepperJeff Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:56 PM
    Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:54 PM

Answers

• Boot from your Installation DVD, with your dead drive replaced and your server backup drive connected. Select the "Restore your system" option ( or whatever it is called).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by TepperJeff Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:57 AM
    Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:31 PM

All replies

• Boot from your Installation DVD, with your dead drive replaced and your server backup drive connected. Select the "Restore your system" option ( or whatever it is called).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by TepperJeff Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:57 AM
    Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Thanks Phil, that got me 80% of the way.  When it restored the system it just put a new WHS 2011 on the new disk (remembering my administrator password but it seemed very little else). From there I could get to the last successful backup and restore all of the user files and backup setting for clients.  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:57 AM
  • Yes, that's the way it works, but it should have restored all customisation. After that, restore any other data stored on the same HDD as the OS.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:23 PM