Server reporting 2 internet related errors...but internet works? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried searching the posts and found many other really cool tips and useful links, but, couldn't find my specific problem (hopefully, you guys can help).

OK: So, until recently I had my WHS connected with an older single-port NIC and I set everything up and was able to setup and access everything (on LAN and from internet) just fine. Recently, I installed both a new dual-port NIC with LACP and connected the team to a new netgear smart switch. The LACP team works great and everyone on the LAN noticed the speed increase.

However, now my server is giving me two errors in the dashboard: one is no internet connection, the other is cannot setup remote connection.

For Internet: I've opened IE, gone to homeserver help pages, pinged google and even the network and sharing center shows that the internet is connected.

For Remote Connection: I've triple checked the ports and router settings, the wizard spins on "validating" for a while then errors out with the same two errors as in the dashboard!! lol

I haven't tried connecting with just the old NIC again; I haven't tried taking the new switch out either. I want to blame the switch/new nic, but, as i said, i can get to the internet on the server, and all the other devices on the switch access internet flawlessly. And i can RDP locally into the server...

So, to summarize: How can the server be connected to the internet and yet give me a "not connected to the internet error"

~ Chagrined in Chicago

PS: I can even send out test emails from the server using my remote smtp server!! WHAT IS GOING ON?? PLEASE HELP :(

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:03 PM

All replies

• The Network diagnostics in WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 (same codebase) do not support virtual adapters. They can only see the physical adapters which are not actually connected to anything anymore (they no longer have TCP/IP bound to them)

There are really only two options: remove the teaming software and restore the config on the physical NICS, or ignore the messages.
    Since WHS2011 doesn't have any other of the networking wizards, I believe the only issue is the one you are seeing. 

Just curious, is this gigabit hardware? If so, what are you using where users could actually see any difference with the team?

-timotl

Bottom of this page is where it's documented for SBS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg491249.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Saladdin19 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Wow, i didn't know that. Thanks for the update timotl.

Yes, this is a dual gigabit intel lacp. All users are on gigabit connections, and 1 is on a lacp team himself with more to add later. The backbone is all gigabit (with managed switches that support the 2Gbps that the lacp team provides)

This WHS is the central storage for all the media. Envisioning to use it both as a robust NAS for home video-editing purposes while simultaneously streaming music/videos to other comps throughout the house.

Does this mean that I have no way to use remote desktop connection if i have the team? I will ignore the messages, once i can actually connect to my server from my grandma's house ;)

How do I setup the RDC without the wizard?

Edit: just read the link you posted -> so does this mean I can't do it or does this mean its just not supported? Because the team works fine in for the local network, but, i really bought the WHS for the easy rdc connectivity. Can it be done?

Edit^2: Can I use the old nic to setup rdc and then reenable the team for local traffic? e.g. can i split the remote traffic to the old nic and local traffic to the lacp? that's supported right?

Custom-built beauty: Highpoint 2460x4 - 4x2TB RAID-5 Hitachi Enterprise (5.76TB) nVidia Sil3441 - 2x1TB RAID-0 Samsung Enterprise (1.54TB) HP NC360T LACP team - 2Gbps Netgear GS108Tv2 DD-wrt backbone - open-source rules

• Edited by Saladdin19 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:54 PM more questions
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:46 PM
  • I can't remember for sure, but I think I set it up and re-enabled the team.

The only thing I am unsure of is if it will update the DNS record when my external IP changed. It never changed while I was running with a team, so I don't know if that works or not. Remote desktop and streaming did work fine though, just had to ignore the errors.

Sorry, I can't really test teaming any more as my WHS is now running under ESXi.

-timotl

Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:15 PM
  • I can't remember for sure, but I think I set it up and re-enabled the team.

I'll definitely give that a try tonight. I'm feeling a little better knowing that it's not some querky thing going on with my network equipment; there's only so much you can do on a switch and router :P

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again! 

Custom-built beauty: Highpoint 2460x4 - 4x2TB RAID-5 Hitachi Enterprise (5.76TB) nVidia Sil3441 - 2x1TB RAID-0 Samsung Enterprise (1.54TB) HP NC360T LACP team - 2Gbps Netgear GS108Tv2 DD-wrt backbone - open-source rules
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Alright, the answer escaped me because it seemed unnecessary (maybe i misunderstand): apparently, all I had to do was set the adapters as "primary" and "secondary" within the team, something that is required in AFB/ALB/STB but not required in LACP. 

Regardless, setting the adapter #1 as primary (the one whose MAC is network facing), did not clear all the errors as timotl pointed out, but at least remote desktop et al is working perfectly.

Many thanks timotl for the help!

Friday, July 22, 2011 4:23 AM