Migrating from On-Premise to Online RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching for some documentation on the process to move from an on premise solution to an CRM 2015 online.

I can find lots of doing the reverse but not moving to an online solution.

Everything I have found and read seems to be very old like for 2011.

So I thought I would ask a new question and hopefully some new progress has been made.

We have a clean solution (no customizations).

What would be the process to import the on premise database into the Online Solution.

Is there documentation on this that I missed?

Or better yet videos :)

Thanks in advance

myintution

Monday, June 22, 2015 4:52 PM

All replies

• There is no direct way to move your data from on-premise to online.  You can move your customizations by creating and exporting a solution file, but not the data itself.

Depending on how much data you have to move, you have a couple of options.

1. Export it to Excel and then re-import it to online using data import.  This would only work well if you have a small amount of data (50K or less total records).

2. Build some SSIS packages and use Kingswaysoft to move the data.  They have a free developers edition that will work by manually executing the jobs in VS, but if you need it the license is not super expensive ($1500 USD).  I have used this tool a lot and highly recommend it.

3. Using a migration tool like Scribe.  I don't have any personal experience with Scribe, but have heard good things about it.  I have also heard that it is pricey, but again I don't have any personal experience with it.

4. Build a custom migration tool with the SDK.  There are lots of code examples on how to connect to CRM and read data, then build another connection to online and write data.  This option will probably take the most time depending on the complexity of your data and your knowledge of .NET coding.

Good luck!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:05 PM
  • For SSIS-based integration check also the commercial COZYROC SSIS+ library. When you test and develop from Visual Studio (BIDS), no license key is required. For one-time migrations you don't need license key either. The starting cost is only $399.95/year. There is no better value on the market.

SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:01 AM