none
Cannot register DLL after installing into GAC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have .Net DLL which i need to Install the DLL into GAC and Register the Installed DLL. i am able to register from the CMD with the command (Installutil.exe -i mydll.dll) but when i try to execute the same from the IS2015 i am able to install but cannot register. I have tried several options by creating a custom action and also by creating a supporting file(batch file) and running it from cmd. I am able to Install it in the GlobalAssemblyCache but i cannot register it.

Can anyone please help me some inputs on how to install and register the DLL after installing into the location.

Tried:

1. Creted a GlobalAssemblycache folder in IS2015 and tried install/register from the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL
    2. created a custom action and tried to execute "Installutil -i mydll.dll"
    3. created a supporting batch file and added as new component and tried to execute batch file from command prompt. i added a custom action to run the batch file.

These are the major action i have tried and also verified by changing the Installsequesnce of the Installer. i googled but didn't get much info on register failure cases.

Thank you for the help...!!

Regards, Ravi Raj Nukala

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, July 4, 2017 2:12 AM
    Friday, June 16, 2017 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my delay.

Seems your question is much related to the Installshield project, you may post in InstallShield: Support forum to get a much professional support.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravi,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Please refer to:

How to: Install an Assembly into the Global Assembly Cache

How to Install an Assembly in the GAC

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hi Lana,

Thank you for your reply.. I am not able to register from Installshield-2015 but able to put into GAC location

I am using gacutil and able to put the DLL into the location %windir%\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL. But i see the DLL is not registered, But when i try manually i am able to register using Installutil.exe from MS Framework. I am not sure why the DLL is not registering. I have tried optioned from the Link below with no luck :(

http://www.installationdeveloper.com/3028/com-extractionregistration-in-an-installshield-project/

Can you please help me on why  i am not able to register using IS2015.

Than you for the help...!!

Regards, Ravi Raj Nukala

Monday, June 19, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my delay.

Seems your question is much related to the Installshield project, you may post in InstallShield: Support forum to get a much professional support.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Sure Lana,

But it might help someone..i have the answer..

Use VB Script in the custom action and install into GAC folder..

Thank you!!

Regards, Ravi Raj Nukala

Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:23 AM