none
What happened to my MCC? RRS feed

• Question

• I used to be an MCC, and now I'm not.  I understand that this is an annual award, but come on!  I honestly expected it to be automatically renewed, based on the amount of work I do on the forums.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

Friday, August 3, 2012 9:56 AM

Answers

• So the real answer (what they'll tell you)...

- Ends every year.

- You lose it. Nothing automatic about renewals.

- After you lose it, you're eligible to get it again. A few folks have gotten it twice so far.

- As Naomi states, the program is down right now, because they're focusing on making it just automatic (no nominations). No ETA.

So if they respond to you, that's what they'll tell you. I've met with them and had some solid conversations about this.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:51 PM
    Owner
  • Maybe ask here:

MCC Global Administrator  mccga@microsoft.com

orsupport@microsoftcommunitycontributor.com

cheers, Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".

• Marked as answer by Bigteddy Friday, August 3, 2012 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 11:01 AM

All replies

• Maybe ask here:

MCC Global Administrator  mccga@microsoft.com

orsupport@microsoftcommunitycontributor.com

cheers, Denniver

Blog: http://bytecookie.wordpress.com

Hilf mit und markiere hilfreiche Beiträge als "Hilfreich" und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als "Antwort".

• Marked as answer by Bigteddy Friday, August 3, 2012 12:21 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Thanks.  I'll email them.

Friday, August 3, 2012 12:21 PM
  • There is nothing automatic and as I understood, the awards have not been given since April. They hopefully will resume.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

Thanks for that info.  It's just seemed strange that I got my MCC after achieving about 1000 points, and in the last year I have gained quite a few more points, and a number of gold medals.  In other words, I feel like I deserve the MCC a lot more this year than I did before.

I wish MS would be a bit more consistent with their recognition system.

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:42 AM
  • I got my MCC at the end of June last year. It sure looked as a very unfair ruling in my case as I've been the top answerer in the T-SQL forum for several years and I answered ~ 20 questions daily.

When I finally got my MCC, it was even bitter disappointment as I was waiting results of my MVP nomination which I didn't get a few days later.

Since then I haven't been re-nominated (I think) for MVP even though Ed promised me to proceed with my nomination and the year of my MCC ended recently and since nobody got a renewal in last few months, I didn't get mine either. I don't know if once the process resumes I will again be awaiting that award for months.

My blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Yes, I know your reputation, and I was surprised to see no MVP or MCC in your profile.  Not only are you the top T-SQL answerer, but you are often the top answerer across all Technet forums.  It isn't fair.

I don't think MS should take us for granted (I'm the top answerer in the Powershell forum).  Even when there was that dispute about the code insert and horizontal scrolling, your opinion was not respected.  We still have the same crappy h.scroll, and no "Copy Code" button.

But I continue to do the work on my forums, because I learn, and I enjoy helping others to learn.  I'm no longer concerned about points, but I do like the medals and affiliations.

Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:59 AM
  • I got my MCC at the end of June last year. It sure looked as a very unfair ruling in my case as I've been the top answerer in the T-SQL forum for several years and I answered ~ 20 questions daily.

When I finally got my MCC, it was even bitter disappointment as I was waiting results of my MVP nomination which I didn't get a few days later.

Since then I haven't been re-nominated (I think) for MVP even though Ed promised me to proceed with my nomination and the year of my MCC ended recently and since nobody got a renewal in last few months, I didn't get mine either. I don't know if once the process resumes I will again be awaiting that award for months.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Voting +1 to your post, you should definitely be nominated for MVP for SQL Server Category, if Ed Price just forget it, i think you should have nominated yourself, as you have already got soo much quality work for the community here, and i am sure everybody in SQL Server have many regards for you due the amount of contributions you have made here.

For Microsoft, i would like them to be little more clear about both MCC and MVP affiliations so that people would be encouraged to do their quality contributions and get recognized as well.

And i am back in SQL Server category since last 2 weeks and find out enough time to spend out here to help fellow community members.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:28 PM

My blog

Hi Naomi !

Voting +1 to your post, you should definitely be nominated for MVP for SQL Server Category, if Ed Price just forget it, i think you should have nominated yourself, as you have already got soo much quality work for the community here, and i am sure everybody in SQL Server have many regards for you due the amount of contributions you have made here.

For Microsoft, i would like them to be little more clear about both MCC and MVP affiliations so that people would be encouraged to do their quality contributions and get recognized as well.

And i am back in SQL Server category since last 2 weeks and find out enough time to spend out here to help fellow community members.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Let me firstly state that I agree Naomi contributes a great deal to the forums and is an extremely valuable member of the community.  That said, a lot more is required to be a MVP other than forum work (Naoimi may do additional non-forum/online work however I haven't looked into it). 

MCC is for the online community (forums) while MVP is for online (forums, blogs etc) AND offline (Running user groups, assisting at Microsoft Technical Events and other non-online community engagement).  If someone has a high online presence however their offline presence is not high, they will usually not be selected as a MVP.  I believe this is why the MCC award was created i.e. to fill the void between online and MVP requirement.

Microsoft has made it very clear what's required for both awards.

MCC

Through the Microsoft<sup>®</sup> Community Contributor Award, we express our thanks to individuals who freely volunteer their time and energy to help improve the Microsoft online technical community experience for others.

More and more technology users are seeking ideas and solutions for enhancing their technology experience through online resources. At Microsoft, we help our customers find answers when and where they want them through online forums such as TechNet, MSDN<sup>®</sup> and Answers.

https://www.microsoftcommunitycontributor.com/overview.aspx

MVP

Potential MVPs are nominated by other technical community members, current and former MVPs, and Microsoft personnel who have noted their leadership and their willingness and ability to help others make the most of their Microsoft technology.

To receive the Microsoft MVP Award, MVP nominees undergo a rigorous review process. A panel that includes members of the MVP team and Microsoft product groups evaluates each nominee's technical expertise and voluntary community contributions for the past 12 months. The panel considers the quality, quantity, and level of impact of the MVP nominee's contributions. Active MVPs receive the same level of scrutiny as other new candidates each year.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpbecoming

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:46 AM
  • I know several MVPs (past and present) who only contributed online.

My blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:25 AM
  • I know several MVPs (past and present) who only contributed online.

My blog

They shouldn't have been awarded.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:27 AM
  • And to add Naomi comments, there is no such limitation for MVP nomination as you described, MVP nomination only depends on past 12 months contributions which can be in anyway (online forums + online blogs + any other online format or offline way).

So, the thing which matters here is the quality of your work during past 12 months in that particular category. Standard of Quality may vary from person to person, but i am sure with a panel of MVP's sitting it would be something that we can't criticize.

In Naomi case, i would recommend her to either talk to Ed Price regarding her Nomination, cause it takes a lot to provide more than 100 answers per month, that's her average for past 18 months. I also feel that other MVP's from SQL Server category should nominate her. Its about the community if you feel someone is doing nice quality contributions here, please go ahead and nominate him/her for recognition.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:47 AM
  • And to add Naomi comments, there is no such limitation for MVP nomination as you described, MVP nomination only depends on past 12 months contributions which can be in anyway (online forums + online blogs + any other online format or offline way).

So, the thing which matters here is the quality of your work during past 12 months in that particular category. Standard of Quality may vary from person to person, but i am sure with a panel of MVP's sitting it would be something that we can't criticize.

Obviously the rules differ from region to region as this is certainly not the case for Australia.

Jeff Wharton

• Proposed as answer by Lhya Da Silva Monday, October 22, 2012 7:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:09 AM
  • So the real answer (what they'll tell you)...

- Ends every year.

- You lose it. Nothing automatic about renewals.

- After you lose it, you're eligible to get it again. A few folks have gotten it twice so far.

- As Naomi states, the program is down right now, because they're focusing on making it just automatic (no nominations). No ETA.

So if they respond to you, that's what they'll tell you. I've met with them and had some solid conversations about this.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:51 PM
    Owner
  • I've gotten it twice.  There was a 4 week gap between the periods.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi ED

I received the MCC award on the 16th of October and it showed on my Profile yesterday and today it is gone, along with some of the other guys on the Exchange 2010 forum they also had the MCC badge next to their names yesterday and nothing today. Is this a system glitch?

Thanks

Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:50 AM
  • I believe it's a system glitch. There was a thread on this exact topic yesterday in Forum's issues forum. BTW, your badge is shown now.

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:48 PM