Help - 4 of 5 drives suddenly say Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello   I've been running WHS with PP1 for a long time now without issues.  I have no add in's and all 5 of my 1T SATA drives are the same manufacturer and model.  I am also not running any hardware raid.   Today I made the mistake of running an old version of Roxio Easy CD DVD on the server thinking I would make some ISO's on WHS  while burning them on my my primary machine.   Anyway the software said it was making some updated to the registry, then I rebooted and bam - my WHS would boot but all the drives except the system drive were all in missing status.   I dug up an old 250 Gig SATA drive thinking I would add it to the set and rebuild the drives one at a time since one only had 150 gigs on it but the drive wizard would not let me add a drive.   I tried the same with an IDE drive and the same thing happened.   My WHS machine sees all of the drives but they all have a different drive letter now and are not merged into the one partition as before.  Additionally there is the data on the drives but I have about 3T of data so moving things is a pain.   I have disconnected all drives from the computer and am re-installing the OS now and then will re-ad the drives but any help on this would be great.  I'm afraid to right click on the drives in the console and say remove because I'm afraid since there is no place for WHS to move the data too - I will loose it.    Hellllllllp Pleeeeeeese  I am running the WHS version that a good friend purchased from thr MS company Store for me.
    WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:10 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    seems its time to try a server reinstall (if it is offered by booting from the WHS DVD at least).
    It's not without reason, that Microsoft warns about using WHS as desktop and install non WHS aware 3rd party software on it.
    Especially if it is accessing storage that directly (and Roxio software was known in the past for issues like making CD drives disappearing and similar stuff).
    Did you uninstall it already?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    seems its time to try a server reinstall (if it is offered by booting from the WHS DVD at least).
    It's not without reason, that Microsoft warns about using WHS as desktop and install non WHS aware 3rd party software on it.
    Especially if it is accessing storage that directly (and Roxio software was known in the past for issues like making CD drives disappearing and similar stuff).
    Did you uninstall it already?
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:17 AM
  • I am doing the re-install now but according to some of the forums, it looks like it can take some time (days)  for WHS to rebuild the databases so I will be patient as my install is on the "Finalizing Initialization" so I will be patient
    WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:29 AM
  • You are right, this stage in server reinstallation may take a long time, especially given the amount of data. So really be patient, even if the server seems to be stuck.
    Before starting normal operation again, don't forget to apply all updates first (and repeat after each necessary reboot, until no updates are offered any more.
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:42 AM
  • I have not been home in 24 hours to check on the status of the rebuild but am now concerned  I did install the correct LAN and MARVELL SATA drivers for the second set of four SATA ports on the Intel motherboard but I did not install PP1 or any updates so I'm really hoping WHS is smart enough to see the second partition on the boot drive it created and the other 4 drives and re-create the master volume set without loosing any data.   I will post more when I check the system later tonight and if the system is still in the "Finalizing Initialization" should I install PP1 and updates which will require a reboot or wait till is is done with the  Finalizing Install?

Thanks so much Olaf for the feedback
    WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Maximus300zx said:

I have not been home in 24 hours to check on the status of the rebuild but am now concerned  I did install the correct LAN and MARVELL SATA drivers for the second set of four SATA ports on the Intel motherboard but I did not install PP1 or any updates so I'm really hoping WHS is smart enough to see the second partition on the boot drive it created and the other 4 drives and re-create the master volume set without loosing any data.

Considering there was no way for you to go get the updates (because the OS is still installing), I wouldn't worry about it.  ;)

Maximus300zx said:

I will post more when I check the system later tonight and if the system is still in the "Finalizing Initialization" should I install PP1 and updates which will require a reboot or wait till is is done with the  Finalizing Install?

Again, it's not possible.  Wait for the Reinstallation to complete.  You will know it's done when you have the Welcome screen and can proceed with the first-time setup.  Once you go through the setup process again, then keep updating your server until it finds no new updates.

Maximus300zx said:

Thanks so much Olaf for the feedback

WHS_retail version

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Have I lost all my data?????

So when I got home, my WHS was asking for a pasword to log in so I thought this was a good thing but the dialog said the servere failed, only 1/2 the updates were installed and my only choicee was to start over.  My Intel motherboard (D975XBX2) has 8 SATA ports.  The first four are the intel chipset which I have 4 drives attached to and the second is the Marvell Chipset which I have 1 drive attached to.  I probably made the mistake of installing the Marvell chipset, the intel LAN driver and the MS updates before the server was finished.   I shut down the server and disconnected all the drives but the boot drive and then booted from the WHS boot CD.  Doing this the install program woould not give me the option to reinstall but ony do a new install so I canceled the install, shut down the server, connected all the drives, booted from the WHS boot CD again, and it saw the 4 SATA Drives connected the Intel Chipset so I fed it the Marvell Drivers, it took them and saw the 5th drive, and is now installing.   Unless someone has a better suggestion, this time I will just let the install run its course and not touch it and install the LAN drivers after the install is done.

Update  - As I have read in these threads - when you do an install - you have to install third pary SATA drivers twice, once in the initial setup and againg when it asks you if you are suppose to hit F6.  I am now stuck in the fact that WHS completes the frorst part of the install and reboots abd says  Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI Driver and F2 if you want to do an ASR.  The problem is while the F2 works, the F6 does not prompt for the install of the Marvel driver.  I have rebooted about 20 times and tried 2 keyboards.  Now if I start the install from scratch it does not give me the option to do a re-install and I'm afraid if I do a new install I will loose the cluster info on my drives

Heeeeeelp 
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Maximus300zx said:

Have I lost all my data?????

So when I got home, my WHS was asking for a pasword to log in so I thought this was a good thing but the dialog said the servere failed, only 1/2 the updates were installed and my only choicee was to start over.  My Intel motherboard (D975XBX2) has 8 SATA ports.  The first four are the intel chipset which I have 4 drives attached to and the second is the Marvell Chipset which I have 1 drive attached to.  I probably made the mistake of installing the Marvell chipset, the intel LAN driver and the MS updates before the server was finished.   I shut down the server and disconnected all the drives but the boot drive and then booted from the WHS boot CD.  Doing this the install program woould not give me the option to reinstall but ony do a new install so I canceled the install, shut down the server, connected all the drives, booted from the WHS boot CD again, and it saw the 4 SATA Drives connected the Intel Chipset so I fed it the Marvell Drivers, it took them and saw the 5th drive, and is now installing.   Unless someone has a better suggestion, this time I will just let the install run its course and not touch it and install the LAN drivers after the install is done.

Update  - As I have read in these threads - when you do an install - you have to install third pary SATA drivers twice, once in the initial setup and againg when it asks you if you are suppose to hit F6.  I am now stuck in the fact that WHS completes the frorst part of the install and reboots abd says  Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI Driver and F2 if you want to do an ASR.  The problem is while the F2 works, the F6 does not prompt for the install of the Marvel driver.  I have rebooted about 20 times and tried 2 keyboards.  Now if I start the install from scratch it does not give me the option to do a re-install and I'm afraid if I do a new install I will loose the cluster info on my drives

Heeeeeelp 

WHS_retail version

Sometimes if you wipe and/or format the OS partition, you will be given the Server Reinstallation option a second time.  However, in order to protect your data, at this point I would suggest you pull each drive from the server, connect each one to a client PC, then browse to x:\DE\shares (where x = drive letter assigned by the client) and copy all of the data fround in that location to a separate hard drive.  (Also, DE is a hidden folder so make sure your client is setup to allow viewing hidden files and folders.)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:10 AM
  • I have added a FAQ, which explains more in detail how to recover data from the disks.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:25 PM
  •  

Dear Olaf

I read your FAQ and have updated my steps

Dear Olaf

I read your FAQ and have updated my steps - Please verify this is the best way:

01) Turn off the WHS Server
    02) Identify the Physical HD that is the Boot drive, Call it HD-0 which has 2 partitions, 0=Boot and 1=Data
    03) Identify the other four Drives and call them HD-1, HD-2, HD-3, and HD-4 and unplug both Power and SATA connections from the Motherboard
    04) Remove HD-0 from the WHS Server
    05) Install NEW 1-TB Drive that is same make and model as HD-0 in WHS Server and call this HD-0NEW
    06) Boot WHS Server from the WHS CD and do a new install of WHS, install PP1 and all Windows Updates (may require many reboots)
    07) Power down Server and connect HD-0 to server and power it up. If Disk Extendor wants to add it to the drive say No
    08) Set File managet to view Hidden/system files
    09) Copy every file from Partition 1 on HD-0 to a share in Drive D on the WHS Server (lets say the default share music)
    10) Reboot the Server
    11) Use Disk Extendor Wizard to add old HD-0 disk to system so now there are two drivesm HD-0NEW and HD-0
    12) Power down the server
    13) repeate Steps 7-12 for HD-1, HD-2, HD-3, and HD-4 coping the files into the same share
    14) After Final Rebuild???

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Hi,
    if you read step 7 not as "copy to drive D:", but as "copy to one of the Shared folders on server via that shortcut", WHS takes care about the merge, as soon as the disks are added to the pool. Tombstones for the shared folders are on D:\shares of the original server drive, which you would not touch, if you select the DE folder on the source drives.
    Using the WHS desktop instead of a client PC, even if not supported, would simplify the task as far, as the Administrator account on the server has already access to the data to be copied and to the target folders (and the disk is already physically mounted, so that you only need to plug in the cable). As long as you copy via the Shared folders shortcut of course.
    Best greetings from Germany and good luck
    Olaf
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Olaf  First off - Thank you sooooo much for yoru help

I updated my above steps and was wondering of you could check them and update your note to reply JAN 12 7:49AM PST USA
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi again,
    3) Identify the other four Drives and call them HD-1, HD-2, HD-3, and HD-4 and unplug power but leave SATA cables attached
    No, it's more important to disconnect the SATA cable. Leaving this connected may still get the drives detected, but not functioning, thus causing issues.

A) After step 7 completes I can power down the server, reverse step 3, bring the server up and WHS will magically add all the new drives and no data will be lost
    Nothing will happen magically here.
    Each disk may contain data in the folder DE. So you need to copy from each of the disks the files below DE\shares to the new shared folders. After that you can add the disk in the console to the storage pool, from which you completed the copy operation.

B) After step 7 completes I can power down the server, reverse step 3, and bring up the server which will show the the four Drives as not part of the master set. I can then select one of the drives, lets say HD-1, copy the contents of it to the Data share on the WHS server, an them add the drive to the dta share thus increasing capacity and repeating for the other 3 drives

Connect only one drive at a time, because you will otherwise not be able to identify it in the console.

C) Pretty much same as B but I connect HD-1 to my PC, copy the data from it to the WHS server, power down the server, Connect HD-1 to the WHS Box, and then allow WHS to format the drive and add it to the set, then repeat with HD-2, HD-3, and HD-4
    (Or connect only one disk at a time to the server directly.) Most safe method to not misidentify ad overwrite the wrong drive.

2) Will Step 6 wipe out the info on the second partition of the bood drive
    Yes.

3) Will I be able to do this or will the files be locked?
    Depends. If the files are all ok in file system and the permissions of Administrator are used, they will be accessible.
    Therefore the easiest method is to use the disks directly in the server, since you are logged in here as Administrator already.
    In all other scenarios you would have to create a user account first in the console, which gets enough permissions to write to all shares.

Olaf
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hey OLAF 1/12 1:12 PM

I went through and updated the below steps again based on your comments and am anxious for you to review and hope this will help others.   I went home at lunch today and booted my WHS server from the WHS install CD, and at the GUI portion of the install where it shows you your hard disks, I pressed the button to load a driver which allowed me to take a peek at some of the contents fo the hard drives.  

I could not see any data on the data partition of HD-0 (probably because it was all hidden) and saw lots of cryptic folder names on the other drives.   My primary concern is this:

I'm guessing Step 9 is the critical step above, but my concern is that if I copy all the contents of all the drives into the new shared drive, How will WHS know to conver those cryptic foldr names into the ones they were before and sinc they will be in a different location than on the origional - will this work.  I'm concerned that when all is said I will have a new server and a 20 or so folders that have cryptic names that I cant open
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Did you check into the folder DE (remember, this is hidden in the root of each DATA volume, so you will have to toggle the Show hidden files and folders option in Windows Explorer)?
    Also with Power Pack 1 in a multi disk scenario the DATA partition on the primary drive will not be used for holding data as long as possible. So data would be only there, if it is already stored here from pre Power Pack 1 times or if there was not enough space on the other disks.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:16 AM
  • I was unable to see the DE folder on the drives because I was viewing through  the WHS setup and did not have the ability to toggle the settings to see hidden files but you do bring up a key point that I amconcerned about.  

Tonight I will follow the above steps 1-12 and that should be fine and at step 12 I have 2 of 6 drives added to the set and have only copied the data from 1 drives to the new set.   When I repeat step 9 and copy the data from the old Hd-1, if theis is a hidden DE folder on that, or a folder with the same name, what will I do because if I put it in the same share folder as I did in step 9, I will overwrite the files. 

I've started a fresh thread on this here

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/aab224e7-ff22-45a6-85a3-995ecc9d8e45

WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:37 PM