PowerSwitch - automatic power down and wake up RRS feed

• General discussion

• PowerSwitch

*NOTE*

I'm no longer actively developing PowerSwitch and suggest that users look at the LightsOut add in instead.  Martin's done an excellent job with LightsOut and actively supports it via his forum.

In pursuit of saving energy, I wrote an add-in that puts WHS into standby and resumes it at user defined times.

The add-in is a tab in the settings dialog.

In the tab you’ll see two time entries and a drop down for selecting power down state.  Simply select the times you want WHS to wake up and sleep, the method of shutdown (standby or hibernate if supported)
    Please enter the administrator password into the dialog box.  For consistent operation of the shut down task you should enter this.  If you feel uncomfortable entering in your password you can wait to do until after the task scheduler task is created.  Then you can enter it into the task in the task scheduler (task name is PowerSwitchService).
    If you happen to change your password while you have a task created you should change the password on the task itself.
    Hit apply/ok and your WHS machine will merrily go to sleep and wake itself up at the specified times.
    If you need to access your WHS machine, simply hit the on/off button on your WHS machine to start it.  If you’ve woken the machine before PowerSwitch.exe is suppose to turn it back you should kill the PowerSwitch.exe process before it attempts to shut the system back down (five minutes after start).  You can restart the process by executing C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\PowerSwitch.exe.  This will immediately put your computer into hibernate or standby.

Details:

I didn’t want to make a service (because I abhor extraneous background processes).  So instead I made an executable that runs through the duration of the sleep period.  This executable is launched by a task in the windows task scheduler.  The executable only runs during the duration of the sleep period.  At the scheduled wake up time the task exits.

The install puts an add-in into your Windows Homer Server install directory and an executable at C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\PowerSwitch.exe.  The add-in creates the windows task and sets the times into the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PowerSwitch).

The PowerSwitch.exe reads the data from the registry on start, sets the timers and immediately enters the standby or hibernate state.

PowerSwitch.exe is a console application.  If you run it outside of the task scheduler you’ll see the console and logging statements.  The disk log contains the same information.

A log of events is kept in C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\Logs.

The add in is available at PowerSwitch.msi - install as you would all add-ins, through the WHS console.

Caveats:

I still consider this beta software.  The only user so far has been me.  I've fixed all of the bugs that I've run across but I'm sure there are more out there. That said, use at your own risk.  If you have any concerns or worries please ask me via this thread.

Now the demigrator.exe process runs off a timer.  So every half hour it checks to see if there is some work to be done.  Unfortunately this timer is the type that wakes the computer from standby.  So every half hour the computer wakes up to see if there is some work to be done.

PowerSwitch listens for these wake events.  If the wake event occurs at a time when the computer is supposed to be sleeping, PowerSwitch will set a five minute timer and attempt to shut the computer down after this timer has expired.

After the five minute timer expires, PowerSwitch checks the demigrator & backup processes to determine if they are busy doing something.  If they are not busy, PowerSwitch puts the computer into the sleep state.  If they’re busy, PowerSwitch waits another five minutes and checks again.

This continuous wake & sleep cycle affects the power saved by PowerSwitch, but over all power usage is less than having the machine continuously running.

You should schedule your backup times to occur while you know the WHS machine is on.  I don’t know how backups are scheduled or if they are on timers that would ‘wake’ your WHS machine to perform.  I haven’t tested backups fully to verify if they perform as usual with PowerSwitch.  A user has reported a corruption of his backup database possibly due to the PowerSwitch.exe entering standby.  I'll be investigating that and will update this paragraph when I get additional information.  Until then please reschedule backups to times when WHS is on, turn them off, or simply don't use PowerSwitch.

Performance:

My WHS machine uses between 70-125 watts of power depending on how busy it is.  It idles at 70 watts, which is when one of the drives shuts down (2 drive system).  In general it will be at the 70 watt state while not being used (by clients, demigrator or the backup process).

I measured the power used by my WHS machine at the outlet to see how much energy is consumed by WHS when PowerSwitch is enabled.

During the sleep period PowerSwitch consumes an average continuous 24 watts in hibernate and 20 watts in standby.  These numbers obviously reflect the constant wake & sleep cycles resulting from the demigrator timer.  The reason for the higher hibernate number is because the machine uses more power waking from hibernate than it does from waking from standby mode.

More Caveats:

The add-in uninstall removes the C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch directory and the add-in.  It does not clear the registry or remove the scheduled task.  To finish the uninstall you should open up the Scheduled Tasks option in the Control Panel and remove the PowerSwitchService task.  In addition you can remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PowerSwitch entry in the registry (using regedit).  Leaving this in isn’t going to do anything bad, but for completeness sake you should remove them (at least remove the scheduled task).  Hopefully in the future I’ll have a proper install that removes these items (once I figure out how).

If for some reason C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch directory is still around after uninstall, you'll need to reboot WHS to remove the directory.  If the PowerSwitch.exe gets killed the OS may think that the PowerSwitch directory is still in use until you reboot (or restart the explorer.exe process).

Future features:

I plan on adding (mostly UI related):

*Ability to set the duration that occurs when computer wakes up before its scheduled time and PowerSwitch shuts the machine back down (currently five minutes).
    *Ability to choose whether to monitor the backup, demigrator or idle processes to determine if the machine should down.  This includes setting the percentage values (currently checks if backup & demigrator are at 1%+ usage).
    *Allow PowerSwitch to determine if machine has been woken up via user event (i.e. push the power button).  If so have PowerSwitch shut down to avoid interrupting the user.

*Create multiple log files instead of appending on to one file.  Delete the log file when size gets too big.  (currently the log file just gets bigger and bigger)

**Update 3/2/2008

I've updated PowerSwitch to version .810 (from .801)

This version contains changes that may fix bugs people were seeing.

*Removed string usage and replaced with enumerated types.  Hopefully this fixes an issue where the German WHS was not entering sleep or hibernate.  A new registry setting called "ShutdownProcess" is used to denote how to shut down.  Values 0 = sleep & 1 = hibernate.  The old registry setting using string value is no longer used.  Re-enter your values into the PowerSwitch tab and hit Ok to set the new key.
    *PowerSwitch.exe now waits 2.5 minutes before attempting to enter sleep/hibernate when woken unexpectedly.
    *Fixed issue that prevented PowerSwitch.exe from shutting down after waking computer.
    *Added additional logging information.

Install:
    1. Copy new PowerSwitch.msi to Software\Add-Ins
    2. Remove old PowerSwitch add-in if applicable using Add-Ins uninstall.
    3. Please ensure that C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\PowerSwitch.exe is removed.
    4. Use Add-In tab to install new PowerSwitch.

**Update 3/4/2008

Version : .820

*Added check for backup/demigrator before initial standby.  The check was only being done when entering standby upon unintended wake ups.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:14 PM

All replies

• >>Now the demigrator.exe process runs off a timer.  So every half hour it checks to see if there is some work to be done.

>>Unfortunately this timer is the type that wakes the computer from standby.  So every half hour the computer wakes up

>>to see if there is some work to be done.

Hello Lliam.

Sounds nice! But I must say would not at all like my WHS to have a sleep/restart cycle every half hour, even if that would save me power. But did you consider stopping or suspending the DEmigrator service so that it does not wake WHS during the powerdown window?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  Theo van Elsberg wrote:

>>Now the demigrator.exe process runs off a timer.  So every half hour it checks to see if there is some work to be done.

>>Unfortunately this timer is the type that wakes the computer from standby.  So every half hour the computer wakes up

>>to see if there is some work to be done.

Hello Lliam.

Sounds nice! But I must say would not at all like my WHS to have a sleep/restart cycle every half hour, even if that would save me power. But did you consider stopping or suspending the DEmigrator service so that it does not wake WHS during the powerdown window?

Hi Theo,

I did consider it, but for this version I didn't want to meddle with the demigrator service.  I don't want to be responsible for getting someones WHS into a state they can't come back from.  I was worried that the demigrator could potentially be stuck in a suspended state if someone where to kill the PowerSwitch.exe process.

However, I didn't really go beyond thinking about it.  I'll experiment with controlling the service and see what happens.

I'm trying to avoid having PowerSwitch.exe be a service, but perhaps in the long run it would be better. (at least more flexible).

The 1/2 hour waking events are why going into standby is more efficient than hibernate.  Oddly enough, those five minute windows every 1/2 hour give you a chance at logging into your WHS if you're away. Smile

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:57 PM
  • Hi!

In an interview we did at the german Home Server Blog with the Senior Manager for Product Engineering from Fujitsu-Siemens (who include a power-management addin with their Scaleo Home Server), he told us that they initially also had the wake-up-problem of the server from standby/hibernation every 30 mins.

However, he states that they got a patch from Microsoft which removes the problem, but it seems that this patch is not publically available....

Can we have an official statement from the WHS Team if the patch will be made available via Windows Update?

Regards, Alex

PS: Here is the link to the interview, for those that understand German Wink : http://www.home-server-blog.de/2008/02/19/interview-mit-dem-fsc-product-engineering/

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:12 PM
  • the link is down. can you please reupp to an server which didn't go to powersave as yours?
    thanks
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:51 PM

• Sorry Assedo.  Server is back up. Smile

I'm going to leave my server on 24/7 for the next few days.  Once I get some feedback on the add-in I'll ask if Terry can host it at wegotserved.

Assedo wrote:
    the link is down. can you please reupp to an server which didn't go to powersave as yours?
    thanks
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:51 PM

• Thanks Alex,

I read about Scaleo's add-in yesterday.  I wondered how they got around this wake event.  There doesn't appear to be any easy way to query for the waitable timers that resume from standby and remove them.  I stopped the WHS service manually to see if that made a difference and it didn't.  I don't know how far in the future those timers are set, or by who.

Either a patch or Siemens' add-in would be nice. Smile

AliG575730 wrote:

Hi!

In an interview we did at the german Home Server Blog with the Senior Manager for Product Engineering from Fujitsu-Siemens (who include a power-management addin with their Scaleo Home Server), he told us that they initially also had the wake-up-problem of the server from standby/hibernation every 30 mins.

However, he states that they got a patch from Microsoft which removes the problem, but it seems that this patch is not publically available....

Can we have an official statement from the WHS Team if the patch will be made available via Windows Update?

Regards, Alex

PS: Here is the link to the interview, for those that understand German : http://www.home-server-blog.de/2008/02/19/interview-mit-dem-fsc-product-engineering/

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  Lliam wrote:

Sorry Assedo.  Server is back up.

I'm going to leave my server on 24/7 for the next few days.  Once I get some feedback on the add-in I'll ask if Terry can host it at wegotserved.

actually thursday 8 p.m., download did'nt work. You can send the msi-file by email to me and than i can host it at rapidshare (if it is o.k. for you)

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  Assedo wrote:
     Lliam wrote:

Sorry Assedo.  Server is back up.

actually thursday 8 p.m., download did'nt work. You can send the msi-file by email to me and than i can host it at rapidshare (if it is o.k. for you)

Hi Assedo, I had to reregister my homeserver domain to get it working again.  It should work now.  If the forum supports PMs, please send me your email address and I can send you the msi.  If there's still trouble I'll use rapidshare.

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:00 AM
  •  

Hello Lliam,

thanks, i could download it now. For further downtime, here's a rapidshare-link

http://rapidshare.de/files/38704632/PowerSwitch.msi.html

I think, this forum did'nt support PMs

Thanks a lot for your great job. I will test it on my server the next few days and will give you feedback

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:24 AM
  •  Lliam wrote:

Thanks Alex,

I read about Scaleo's add-in yesterday.  I wondered how they got around this wake event.  There doesn't appear to be any easy way to query for the waitable timers that resume from standby and remove them.  I stopped the WHS service manually to see if that made a difference and it didn't.  I don't know how far in the future those timers are set, or by who.

Either a patch or Siemens' add-in would be nice.

Hi!

Siemens doesn't do anything special in their addin, its the patch which prevents the server from waking up.

In our german forum we had a long discussion, and we found out that the problem is caused by the "sbscrexe.exe", a process from Server 2003.

Stopping the process (which isn't simply, though) also stops the server from waking up.

Regards, Alex

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:13 PM
  • If Microsoft has a patch available that Siemens is using, then it's probably available to others as well. You may have to call Microsoft for support, and you may have to give a credit card number up front to pay for the call, but normally if Microsoft has a supported patch for your issue, they don't actually charge you.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    If Microsoft has a patch available that Siemens is using, then it's probably available to others as well. You may have to call Microsoft for support, and you may have to give a credit card number up front to pay for the call, but normally if Microsoft has a supported patch for your issue, they don't actually charge you.

Heh, I may have better luck contacting Seimens for the patch. Smile
    Friday, February 29, 2008 10:55 PM
  • It seems that PowertSchitch did'nt work on German WHS system.
    my WHS are not going to suspend or hibernation mode. in the german home-server-blog forum, other user also posting, that PowerSwitch has no effect.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:17 PM
  •  Assedo wrote:
    It seems that PowertSchitch did'nt work on German WHS system.
    my WHS are not going to suspend or hibernation mode. in the german home-server-blog forum, other user also posting, that PowerSwitch has no effect.

Hi Assedo,

I didn't do any localization testing.  If you don't mind, could you verify that the registry settings appear correct?  Also, if the registry appears correct please try to run the PowerSwitch.exe directly.  It should put the computer into standby or hibernate.  If not, please look at the log file.

There are a couple of things that could be going wrong, the most likely:

There is some string usage involved.  The shutdown mode is set in the registry as Suspend or Hibernate.  This is read by the PowerSwitch executable and a string comparison is performed against "Suspend" and "Hibernate".  I'll have to turn those comparisons into resource strings that are read in at run time.

The second possibility is that the OS comparison could be failing.  I verify the executable is running on WHS, if the version string is different for the german version then that check will fail.  A message box should pop-up saying this.

Regardless, I'll see if I can switch the OS to german language and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:06 PM
  •  Lliam wrote:

PowerSwitch

In pursuit of saving energy, I wrote an add-in that puts WHS into standby and resumes it at user defined times.

The add-in is a tab in the settings dialog.

In the tab you’ll see two time entries and a drop down for selecting power down state.  Simply select the times you want WHS to wake up and sleep, the method of shutdown (standby or hibernate if supported)
    Please enter the administrator password into the dialog box.  For consistent operation of the shut down task you should enter this.  If you feel uncomfortable entering in your password you can wait to do until after the task scheduler task is created.  Then you can enter it into the task in the task scheduler (task name is PowerSwitchService).
    If you happen to change your password while you have a task created you should change the password on the task itself.
    Hit apply/ok and your WHS machine will merrily go to sleep and wake itself up at the specified times.
    If you need to access your WHS machine, simply hit the on/off button on your WHS machine to start it.  If you’ve woken the machine before PowerSwitch.exe is suppose to turn it back you should kill the PowerSwitch.exe process before it attempts to shut the system back down (five minutes after start).  You can restart the process by executing C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\PowerSwitch.exe.  This will immediately put your computer into hibernate or standby.

Details:

I didn’t want to make a service (because I abhor extraneous background processes).  So instead I made an executable that runs through the duration of the sleep period.  This executable is launched by a task in the windows task scheduler.  The executable only runs during the duration of the sleep period.  At the scheduled wake up time the task exits.

The install puts an add-in into your Windows Homer Server install directory and an executable at C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\PowerSwitch.exe.  The add-in creates the windows task and sets the times into the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PowerSwitch).

The PowerSwitch.exe reads the data from the registry on start, sets the timers and immediately enters the standby or hibernate state.

PowerSwitch.exe is a console application.  If you run it outside of the task scheduler you’ll see the console and logging statements.  The disk log contains the same information.

A log of events is kept in C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch\Logs.

The add in is available at PowerSwitch.msi - install as you would all add-ins, through the WHS console.

Caveats:

I still consider this beta software.  The only user so far has been me.  I've fixed all of the bugs that I've run across but I'm sure there are more out there. That said, use at your own risk.  If you have any concerns or worries please ask me via this thread.

Now the demigrator.exe process runs off a timer.  So every half hour it checks to see if there is some work to be done.  Unfortunately this timer is the type that wakes the computer from standby.  So every half hour the computer wakes up to see if there is some work to be done.

PowerSwitch listens for these wake events.  If the wake event occurs at a time when the computer is supposed to be sleeping, PowerSwitch will set a five minute timer and attempt to shut the computer down after this timer has expired.

After the five minute timer expires, PowerSwitch checks the demigrator & backup processes to determine if they are busy doing something.  If they are not busy, PowerSwitch puts the computer into the sleep state.  If they’re busy, PowerSwitch waits another five minutes and checks again.

This continuous wake & sleep cycle affects the power saved by PowerSwitch, but over all power usage is less than having the machine continuously running.

You should schedule your backup times to occur while you know the WHS machine is on.  I don’t know how backups are scheduled or if they are on timers that would ‘wake’ your WHS machine to perform.  I haven’t tested backups fully to verify if they perform as usual with PowerSwitch.

Performance:

My WHS machine uses between 70-125 watts of power depending on how busy it is.  It idles at 70 watts, which is when one of the drives shuts down (2 drive system).  In general it will be at the 70 watt state while not being used (by clients, demigrator or the backup process).

I measured the power used by my WHS machine at the outlet to see how much energy is consumed by WHS when PowerSwitch is enabled.

During the sleep period PowerSwitch consumes an average continuous 24 watts in hibernate and 20 watts in standby.  These numbers obviously reflect the constant wake & sleep cycles resulting from the demigrator timer.  The reason for the higher hibernate number is because the machine uses more power waking from hibernate than it does from waking from standby mode.

More Caveats:

The add-in uninstall removes the C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch directory and the add-in.  It does not clear the registry or remove the scheduled task.  To finish the uninstall you should open up the Scheduled Tasks option in the Control Panel and remove the PowerSwitchService task.  In addition you can remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PowerSwitch entry in the registry (using regedit).  Leaving this in isn’t going to do anything bad, but for completeness sake you should remove them (at least remove the scheduled task).  Hopefully in the future I’ll have a proper install that removes these items (once I figure out how).

If for some reason C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch directory is still around after uninstall, you'll need to reboot WHS to remove the directory.  If the PowerSwitch.exe gets killed the OS may think that the PowerSwitch directory is still in use until you reboot (or restart the explorer.exe process).

Future features:

I plan on adding (mostly UI related):

*Ability to set the duration that occurs when computer wakes up before its scheduled time and PowerSwitch shuts the machine back down (currently five minutes).
    *Ability to choose whether to monitor the backup, demigrator or idle processes to determine if the machine should down.  This includes setting the percentage values (currently checks if backup & demigrator are at 1%+ usage).
    *Allow PowerSwitch to determine if machine has been woken up via user event (i.e. push the power button).  If so have PowerSwitch shut down to avoid interrupting the user.

*Create multiple log files instead of appending on to one file.  Delete the log file when size gets too big.  (currently the log file just gets bigger and bigger)

Lliam

PowerSwitch is a much need addition to the tools we can use to manage our WHS.

I thank you for sharing and await your planned enhancements especially managing to prevent the server from resuming every ½ hour.

Now for any “Power Savings “scheme to be effective on WHS when most of them are hidden away and we may not be able to easily access it to “Push” the “On” button and additionally not all user will or can log in and “Kill” the PowerSwitch .exe” process. Therefore   I needed to implement a method for a “User” to restart the WHS from “Suspend” or “Hibernate “and “Kill” the PowerSwitch.exe from a User’s desktop.

So with this in mind and my interest in saving energy ,I installed your “Add in” and set it to “suspend”  the WHS from 11 PM to 7AM .  By the way can you allow for more than one period for “Suspend/resume”-

1.       Downloaded and installed a utility to restart the “Server” from Shutdown/Suspend/Hibernate”

2.       Create a batch file to “kill” the PowerSwitch.exe process after “Resume”. This can be run from any PC on the network without the need to log on via RDP to kill the process.

Of course I had to make sure the WHS network card was set in the “Bios” to” Wake on Lan” and the “Allow this device to wake the Computer”  is enabled on the Power management setting of the Network card in Device Manager.

Anyway I still have the issue of starting the “Server” when not at home via the internet– I believe another Developer (Runtime360) was working on this aspect or maybe Angelo may have some ideas.

I was wondering how “Scaleo” approached this aspect of “Power Management/Always available”

Thanks again. Great work.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:10 AM
  • Hello Lliam,
    thanks for your reply.
    1. at german whs, powerswitch is installed into folder c:\programme\powerswitch
    2. powerswitch.exe is running in the taskmanager
    3. when starting powerswitch.exe manual by doubleclicking, nothing hapens. the logfile shows the status, but did not going in suspend or hibernate. the suspend/hibernation does working, when i shutdown WHS regular with start --> shutoff --> Hibernate from the taskbar, but didnt bring any succes when i start powerswitch.exe

i've made some hardcopys, because i know my english is not the best and a picture shows more, then words can discribe.

with regards
    assedo

here are the link to the hardcopies: http://rapidshare.de/files/38723231/PowerSwitch_WHSGerman.pdf.html

Sunday, March 2, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  

Hi LLiam,

Thanks for the great tool. Here is the bug I am having. After installing the add in and using the scheduled task to add in the administrator password the server did correctly go into standby but after it wakes up the command prompt window is still displayed with the svchost.exe process running and never closes and it will jump from 0-99% cpu until I close that window. The window just states that it is waking up from standby. Any suggestions? thanks again

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  Assedo wrote:
    Hello Lliam,
    thanks for your reply.
    1. at german whs, powerswitch is installed into folder c:\programme\powerswitch
    2. powerswitch.exe is running in the taskmanager
    3. when starting powerswitch.exe manual by doubleclicking, nothing hapens. the logfile shows the status, but did not going in suspend or hibernate. the suspend/hibernation does working, when i shutdown WHS regular with start --> shutoff --> Hibernate from the taskbar, but didnt bring any succes when i start powerswitch.exe

i've made some hardcopys, because i know my english is not the best and a picture shows more, then words can discribe.

with regards
    assedo

here are the link to the hardcopies: http://rapidshare.de/files/38723231/PowerSwitch_WHSGerman.pdf.html

Thanks Assedo,

I'll replace the string usage for the sleep/hibernate condition to see if that helps.  I should be able to provide a new install later today.  Hopefully this will fix the issue.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 12:41 AM
  •  nvdice wrote:

Hi LLiam,

Thanks for the great tool. Here is the bug I am having. After installing the add in and using the scheduled task to add in the administrator password the server did correctly go into standby but after it wakes up the command prompt window is still displayed with the svchost.exe process running and never closes and it will jump from 0-99% cpu until I close that window. The window just states that it is waking up from standby. Any suggestions? thanks again

nvdice,

The PowerSwitch.exe process should exit after waking up at the scheduled time.  If the computer wakes up any time before the scheduled time  the PowerSwitch.exe process will keep running until that scheduled time.  At the wake up time a timer callback should be called that exits the program.  I'll take a look to see if there is a case where Application.Exit() can fail.

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Lliam

PowerSwitch is a much need addition to the tools we can use to manage our WHS.

I thank you for sharing and await your planned enhancements especially managing to prevent the server from resuming every ½ hour.

Now for any “Power Savings “scheme to be effective on WHS when most of them are hidden away and we may not be able to easily access it to “Push” the “On” button and additionally not all user will or can log in and “Kill” the PowerSwitch .exe” process. Therefore   I needed to implement a method for a “User” to restart the WHS from “Suspend” or “Hibernate “and “Kill” the PowerSwitch.exe from a User’s desktop.

So with this in mind and my interest in saving energy ,I installed your “Add in” and set it to “suspend”  the WHS from 11 PM to 7AM .  By the way can you allow for more than one period for “Suspend/resume”-

1.       Downloaded and installed a utility to restart the “Server” from Shutdown/Suspend/Hibernate”

2.       Create a batch file to “kill” the PowerSwitch.exe process after “Resume”. This can be run from any PC on the network without the need to log on via RDP to kill the process.

Of course I had to make sure the WHS network card was set in the “Bios” to” Wake on Lan” and the “Allow this device to wake the Computer”  is enabled on the Power management setting of the Network card in Device Manager.

Anyway I still have the issue of starting the “Server” when not at home via the internet– I believe another Developer (Runtime360) was working on this aspect or maybe Angelo may have some ideas.

I was wondering how “Scaleo” approached this aspect of “Power Management/Always available”

Thanks again. Great work.

Hi Rouza,

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I didn't think about users not being able to remote desktop to the machine to kill PowerSwitch.exe if they're having trouble.  An addition to the WHS console to do this may be necessary.  I'll look into adding some administrative abilities to the WHS console to manage this.

I thought about adding multiple periods in a day to run the PowerSwitch.exe process.  However I didn't need to run it more than once a day so I left it out.  I'll add that to the list of features tbd.

I can' t help with starting the server from the internet. Smile  There are a lot of variables involved, your router could be filtering those types of packets out or not forwarding them properly to the machine.  Did you try waking the machine using the IP address instead of the homeserver.com address?

I don't know what Scaleo does.  I would guess it uses a service and is always running.

Monday, March 3, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Lliam

Staring the "Server" from the internet is doable - I have it working but not sure if it will work for others .

And please remember that not all users will have access to the console to stop the service if you put the option there.

Consider that some add in will require Client interaction and therefore you have to assume that the user will not have theConsole password.

Anway  I am stopping the PowerSwitch.exe by running a simple batct file that I have named "Kill PowerSwitch"

The contents of the file ( I copied the "Pskill.exe"  to C:\windows\system32  on a client)

C:\Windows\system32\pskill.exe \\<Servername> -u Administrator -p <ServerPassword> PowerSwitch.exe

So all you need to do is run the file after resarting the Server via WOL. or Power Button.

Thank for your rersponses.

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:22 AM

• I've updated PowerSwitch.  Notes are at the bottom of the first post in thread.

Monday, March 3, 2008 7:37 AM
  • Hello Lliam,

PowerSwitch did now work on German WHS too, but you have to make a little trick.

I would trie to make an short "HowTo"

1. deinstall old version .801 of PowerSwitch

2. Search for lost registryentries (there are some one) with the searchstring "powerswitch" and delete it all

3. install powerswitch .810 version

4. powerswitch is installed per default into folder c:\programme\powerswitch. when you leave it in this folder, powerswitch didn't work correct. So you have to make an new folder c.\program files\powerswitch manually and copy the powerswitch.exe from folder c.\programme\powerswitch to c:\program files\powerswitch

so, all works and i saved 50% of energy (3 Watt in hibernate instead 32 Watt at allways on-time)

Big Thanks for your AddIn, its the best one i ever installed till now.

with regard

Assedo

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:40 AM
  • Lliam

I installed powerswitch last week but unfortunately this has caused a major issue with my WHS.

I have been running my WHS for some time with no issues at all and all backups have run smoothly in automatic mode (5 machines). The day after installing Powerswitch with "down" at midnight and "up" at 8am, the server showed errors with the backup database and backups dissappeared from the console display. I rebooted the server and eventually the backups displayed but not all could be opened for restore. Later the same day the server showed "critical server" message - one disk as "failing" and recommened a disk repair (second drive on HP Ex475).The repair took only a couple of minutes and the drive came back reporting healthy but ALL backups were lost !! Server storage showed as no backups.

I have to assume that all the above have been caused by the power down and backup of the server using Powerswitch. If backups are taking place when powerswitch kicks in, is there a danger of this corruption? If so I think you need to warn users before installing this add in.

Corseford

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:58 PM
  •  corseford wrote:

Lliam

I installed powerswitch last week but unfortunately this has caused a major issue with my WHS.

I have been running my WHS for some time with no issues at all and all backups have run smoothly in automatic mode (5 machines). The day after installing Powerswitch with "down" at midnight and "up" at 8am, the server showed errors with the backup database and backups dissappeared from the console display. I rebooted the server and eventually the backups displayed but not all could be opened for restore. Later the same day the server showed "critical server" message - one disk as "failing" and recommened a disk repair (second drive on HP Ex475).The repair took only a couple of minutes and the drive came back reporting healthy but ALL backups were lost !! Server storage showed as no backups.

I have to assume that all the above have been caused by the power down and backup of the server using Powerswitch. If backups are taking place when powerswitch kicks in, is there a danger of this corruption? If so I think you need to warn users before installing this add in.

Corseford

Corseford,

Sorry your backup database was corrupted possibly due to PS.  Although it does not help your situation, I do post "You should schedule your backup times to occur while you know the WHS machine is on.  I don’t know how backups are scheduled or if they are on timers that would ‘wake’ your WHS machine to perform.  I haven’t tested backups fully to verify if they perform as usual with PowerSwitch." at the top.  I'll modify the statement to emphasize a possibility for corrupting backups.

When PowerSwitch.exe first runs it immediately puts your computer into sleep mode.  It does not check the demigrator or backup processes on first run.  If the computer resumes unexpectedly PowerSwitch.exe *does* check the demigrator and backup processes prior going back to sleep.  I'll add a case to the initial entry to sleep mode that does check both backup & demigrator process.  In addition I'll test starting a backup and manually putting my computer into sleep mode to see if I can forcibly corrupt my backup database in this way.

I'll also look into stopping the backup service during the duration of the sleep period.  My intent was that backups could occur during the operation of the PowerSwitch.exe - hence the check to see if the process is running.  I may offer a UI toggle to enable/disable the backup service during the sleep period (unfortunately if the PowerSwitch.exe stops for some reason I will not be able to resume the backup service, so that's a danger as well).

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  Assedo wrote:

Hello Lliam,

PowerSwitch did now work on German WHS too, but you have to make a little trick.

I would trie to make an short "HowTo"

1. deinstall old version .801 of PowerSwitch

2. Search for lost registryentries (there are some one) with the searchstring "powerswitch" and delete it all

3. install powerswitch .810 version

4. powerswitch is installed per default into folder c:\programme\powerswitch. when you leave it in this folder, powerswitch didn't work correct. So you have to make an new folder c.\program files\powerswitch manually and copy the powerswitch.exe from folder c.\programme\powerswitch to c:\program files\powerswitch

so, all works and i saved 50% of energy (3 Watt in hibernate instead 32 Watt at allways on-time)

Big Thanks for your AddIn, its the best one i ever installed till now.

with regard

Assedo

Thanks for the info Assedo.  I'll look into fixing this issue.  The single byte string "C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch" used to create the directory may be resolving to "C:\Programme\PowerSwitch" on your OS.  I'll see if there is a system variable/path that can be used for creating the PowerSwitch directory instead.

Please beware of the possible backup db corruptiong issue that is posted above.  Be sure to schedule your backups to a time you know the WHS server is on to avoid any potential problems.  Please state this on the german forum as well.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:31 PM
  •  Lliam wrote:

Please beware of the possible backup db corruptiong issue that is posted above.  Be sure to schedule your backups to a time you know the WHS server is on to avoid any potential problems.  Please state this on the german forum as well.

Hello Lliam,

yes, i did post this problem into german whs blog forum.

One thing is interesting and i would watch it.

today the daily backup did'nt wake my clients and i have to start it manually. I will watch whats happen tomorrow and if theres a now problem with powerswitch

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  Assedo wrote:
     Lliam wrote:

Hello Lliam,

yes, i did post this problem into german whs blog forum.

One thing is interesting and i would watch it.

today the daily backup did'nt wake my clients and i have to start it manually. I will watch whats happen tomorrow and if theres a now problem with powerswitch

Is the backup suppose to wake your clients?  If that is so, it doesn't use a wake on lan packet. It sets a timer on the client machine to make sure it is awake at the scheduled backup time, the connector software probably does that.

I'll see if I can get the scheduled backup times and keep the machine awake during those times.  Although the default times seem pretty broad (between 12am and 6am).  More options. Smile
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:33 PM
  •  corseford wrote:

Lliam

Corseford

Corseford,

I performed some tests with entering standby while performing backups as well as performing the cleanup operations.

Entering standby while performing a backup caused the backup to fail (expectedly).  I didn't have any issue with the backups not showing in the console.  The failed backup was due to either connection lost or no specific reason, as stated by the console.  The status icon was yellow, and stated that there was an issue with the backups.  Manually creating a new backup set the status icon back to green.

Entering standby during the cleanup operation didn't show any adverse results.  After resuming from standby the backups were marked as gone in the backup list.

Entering standby should not result in hard drive errors.  I believe the disk failing error is coincidence (but I'm open to other opinions).  I do believe the failed backups may be a result of entering standby (I got them when going into standby while performing a backup).  In my tests the failed backups did not result in any corruption of the database, I simply marked them for delete, manually did the backup and performed the clean up.

As I mention before, the initial shutdown process does not check for the demigrator or backup process usage.  I'll put this logic in tonight and publish a new version.

FWIW, I ran PowerSwitch.exe on my home system for 2 1/2 weeks prior to publishing it.  The only issue I had was that my backups were not being performed, which is why I recommended to running them during times you know WHS is on.  I know this doesn't cover all of the cases, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone felt I published the add-in without testing.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:17 AM
  • Hey Lliam

Great add-in, I just have a couple of feature requests.

The first one has already been mentioned but I thought I'd add it again, which is to allow more than one wake up/shutdown a day. I would like my server to wake in the morning, shut down whilst I'm at work, then wake again later on for when i come home and then sleep again during the night.

The other feature is the being able to set different scheduals for different days. For example, I go to college on a wednesday and want to have access to my server all day, the same for at weekends. But I dont want to have to enable and disable the add-in all the time. This would just require the use of the weekly scheduals rather than the daily ones and being able to specify the days of the week. Maybe add in the days of the week and have an override one that makes it work every day.

I hope this feedback is helpful and please tell me if I am asking too much from you. I just think that if you want to get more people using this add-in, these are the type of things that people want to see.

Again great add-in and I'm so glad that someone has finally tackled this issue.

James

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:28 AM
  •  condition_unknown wrote:

Hey Lliam

Great add-in, I just have a couple of feature requests.

The first one has already been mentioned but I thought I'd add it again, which is to allow more than one wake up/shutdown a day. I would like my server to wake in the morning, shut down whilst I'm at work, then wake again later on for when i come home and then sleep again during the night.

The other feature is the being able to set different scheduals for different days. For example, I go to college on a wednesday and want to have access to my server all day, the same for at weekends. But I dont want to have to enable and disable the add-in all the time. This would just require the use of the weekly scheduals rather than the daily ones and being able to specify the days of the week. Maybe add in the days of the week and have an override one that makes it work every day.

I hope this feedback is helpful and please tell me if I am asking too much from you. I just think that if you want to get more people using this add-in, these are the type of things that people want to see.

Again great add-in and I'm so glad that someone has finally tackled this issue.

James

Thanks James,

Please note that I have a new version that checks to see if a backup is running prior to the *intitial* shutdown.

When initially starting the project I had planned for being able to schedule multiple days.  However I postponed that because I wanted to keep things simple at first (in addition a lot more UI is required).  Hopefully I can add a more comprehensive scheduler in the future. Smile

My current work involves investigating the backup issue that was mentioned earlier in this post.  I'm also modifying the executable to work around the scheduled backup times (i.e. turns machine on at backup time start, turns it off at time end).

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

Hello

I have managed to download the 801 version from the rapidshare address in this forum.  I have seen mention of an 820 version but cannot connect to the main webpage do download.... it seems to have an error.

Does anybody have the latest version?

Thank you

Nik

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:46 PM
  •  Nik Korda wrote:

Hello

I have managed to download the 801 version from the rapidshare address in this forum.  I have seen mention of an 820 version but cannot connect to the main webpage do download.... it seems to have an error.

Does anybody have the latest version?

Thank you

Nik

Hi Nik,

Sorry, I'm out of town this week and ended up shutting my machine down.  I'm not sure what version wegotserved is hosting at this moment.  I'll be back next Monday to turn the machine on.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  801 should work (providing you're running the US version of WHS).  Please schedule your backups for times you know your machine is up prior to using the 801 version.

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Thank's for the quick resposne.

I have the UK version on HP's Media Smart Server, so I guess it has the UK version of the WHS software?

The version that downloaded from rapidshare was .801

It all seemed to set up ok, but the server did not go into either sleep or hibernate at the set time.  It seems to have tried as theWHS Console lost connection, but the server was still running.

Nik

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:38 AM
  •  Nik Korda wrote:

Thank's for the quick resposne.

I have the UK version on HP's Media Smart Server, so I guess it has the UK version of the WHS software?

The version that downloaded from rapidshare was .801

It all seemed to set up ok, but the server did not go into either sleep or hibernate at the set time.  It seems to have tried as theWHS Console lost connection, but the server was still running.

Nik

Hi Nik,

Can you still connect to the machine, or did you have to reboot the machine?  Could you check to see if you can put the computer into standby mode manually?  There maybe something prevent the computer from entering standby.

The PowerSwitch.exe resides in C:\Program Files\PowerSwitch.  You can manually run this process.  It should put your computer into standby (or hibernate) immediately.  Pushing the power button after entering hibernate/standby will resume the computer.  You should see the console window that the PowerSwitch.exe outputs debug information (you have to remote desktop back into the computer).  Kill the PowerSwitch.exe if you don't want it to try to put your computer back into standby.

Anyway, a week isn't too long to wait.  Once I get back I'll have the version on wegotserved be updated & my server will be back up.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.  I understand if it's too much of a hassle though. Smile
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:12 AM
  • Hi Lliam,
     Im working with ver.801,and im having some problem..
    it does go into hibernation with no problem...but..
    it does not want to go into standby state,
    If i fix this problem a ll be very happy.
    im in the us.

Thanks for a great add-ins

FarOut
    Monday, March 17, 2008 12:42 AM
  •  FarOut wrote:
    Hi Lliam,
     Im working with ver.801,and im having some problem..
    it does go into hibernation with no problem...but..
    it does not want to go into standby state,
    If i fix this problem a ll be very happy.
    im in the us.

Thanks for a great add-ins

FarOut

Hi FarOut,

Can you enter standby manually?  It's odd that you can enter hibernate and not standby.  There may be another program/service preventing the machine from going into standby.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:57 AM

• Interestingly enough, the German community seems pretty proactive about power saving.  A nice add-in called LightsOut has been released.  When the English version is released I suggest people looking into that (Martin even has his own forum for it).

The German forums mention that the SBCore service is causing WHS to wake up every half hour.  They've pointed out to a way to stop that service:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showpost.php?p=1866152&postcount=11

I suggest doing your own investigating before following steps toward stopping the service.  I don't think the service is necessary on WHS, but I don't want to recommend people arbitrarily killing services on WHS.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:02 AM
  • All

I have just downloaded the .820 version and it seems to be working, although it has a couple of strange behaviours.

When it goes to sleep, it goes into sleep mode about 10 minutes before the allocated time, then it wakes up again, then at the allocated time it goes to sleep.

When it wakes up it does this in reverse.  It wakes up 10 minutes before the allocated wake time, then goes back to sleep, then wakes ap properly at the allocated sleep time.

This is the 1st night I have run it, so far so good.

Good utility.

Nik

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:03 AM
  • Hi Lliam,
    I took a look a "Power Options Properties"
    and all a see is......

When i press the Sleep Button on my computer:

Do nothing
    Ask me what to do
    Hibernate
    Shut Down

There is not an "Sleep" choice.

I also took a look at the bios set up,but I dont think that I ll be able to fix the problem there.

This is the harware on the server

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core CPU
    Asus M3A32.MVP MB w/lan Wifi-ap and Adio
    DDR2 2gb 667mhz
    Liteon 16X Black DVD-Rom
    Nvidia vidio card
    7 Mobil Rack (addonics)
    IM 901BS Mini Server case with 9 bay
    Antec 650 TruePower Trio
    Belkin Serial ATA PCI Card
    7/500 hard drives

and its fast....not if i can only put it to sleep..!!

Thanks

FarOut
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Your BIOS may indeed have the answer.  Make sure S1 & S3 suspend states are enabled in the BIOS.  It is odd that sleep is not supported and hibernate is (hibernate is S4).

Funny enough, I do check to see if the computer can hibernate and enable/disable the hibernate option based on that.  I didn't check to see if the computer could enter standby/sleep.  Something else to add. Smile

FarOut wrote:
    Hi Lliam,
    I took a look a "Power Options Properties"
    and all a see is......

When i press the Sleep Button on my computer:

Do nothing
    Ask me what to do
    Hibernate
    Shut Down

There is not an "Sleep" choice.

I also took a look at the bios set up,but I dont think that I ll be able to fix the problem there.

This is the harware on the server

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core CPU
    Asus M3A32.MVP MB w/lan Wifi-ap and Adio
    DDR2 2gb 667mhz
    Liteon 16X Black DVD-Rom
    Nvidia vidio card
    7 Mobil Rack (addonics)
    IM 901BS Mini Server case with 9 bay
    Antec 650 TruePower Trio
    Belkin Serial ATA PCI Card
    7/500 hard drives

and its fast....not if i can only put it to sleep..!!

Thanks

FarOut
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:59 AM
  • After following the guide on how to disable the SBSCore service I found that there was no noticable WHS functionality lost. I am now happy to say that when I put my WHS into Hibernation it stays there all night. Thanks for the Tip

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:22 PM

• Lliam,
    I unable to download powerswitch.msi
    Version 820 from the forum's link. I can only dowload version 810.
    Can you repost the link?  Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:58 AM
  •  Patrick0525 wrote:

Lliam,

Hi Patrick,

We've been having electrical issues at our house (which should be fixed 5pm pst electrician willing) so my machine hasn't been up and running very much.  I'll post when I know it is back up (it may be back up sometime during the day today).
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  Lliam wrote:
     Patrick0525 wrote:

Lliam,

Hi Patrick,

We've been having electrical issues at our house (which should be fixed 5pm pst electrician willing) so my machine hasn't been up and running very much.  I'll post when I know it is back up (it may be back up sometime during the day today).

Any news when you're server is up again? Maybe you can host it elsewhere.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 10:32 AM
  • Am new to WHS. Installed PowerSwitch as described under Add-Ins in the Help Tab. Everything when OK. Power Switch shows up in the Settings Folder.  I  checked the "Enable PowerSwitch Box" , set my ON time, set my OFF time and selected Hibernate from the choices( Sleep or Hibernate) entered my Password, clicked on Apply then OK but my WHS machine did not merrily go to sleep and wake itself up at the specified times. It stays ON. I tried it again, selecting the Sleep option instead of Hibernate, same thing. Tried to download the file again but could not connect to your server. Am using an Intel D975XBX2KR motherboard, Quad core 2.4 CPU, 2GB Memory, 1TB HD. Any idea why it won't work or have I missed something?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Bklynbob,

On your Windows Home Server, look at the Hibernate tab in Power Options (Control Panel/Power Options). If it isn't enabled then this could prevent the system from hibernating (and Hibernatae may show up as an option in PowerSwitch even if it isn't enabled in Power Options).

One thing you'll notice is that under the Power Schemes tab, you won't see this text: "System hibernates [Never | After x time]" where x is a variety of options. Ensure this is set to Never.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Installed this add in, set hibernation in power control, and thought right lets see it work..

Set it to hibernate the server for half an hour...

Server shuts down on time and restarts on time...

However, I cannot get into the console from my laptop, and when I RDP all I get is a Blank server desktop, no icons.

I plug a monitor keyboard and mouse in and guess whats on the screen..

Windows Search.exe

"The application or DLL C:\windows\system32.ieframe.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette...

I click ok...

Click on the console icon... wait

Screens shows IIS failure Server execution failed.

Console opens...

I click on settings... wait

Console closes!!!

Nice add in anyone else had this??

Copied ieframe.dll off a vista pc onto server... first error now gone, but IIS failure persists and the console although opening will not function...  (HO HUM)
    Monday, December 22, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Hi Lliam:

I have a French localized version of the Mediasmart Server and unfortunately, your great add-in does not work.   I suspect it has to do with the fact that the admin login name in the French version is "Administrateur", not "Administrator".  In my experiments, no logs were created whatsoever from normal use. Running the .exe file directly through RDP however seems to work and generates a log.  Do yo think the admin login name could have something to do with this problem?  Any other solutions?

Thanks for your help,
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:56 PM
  • toniii_montana said:

Hi Lliam:

I have a French localized version of the Mediasmart Server and unfortunately, your great add-in does not work.   I suspect it has to do with the fact that the admin login name in the French version is "Administrateur", not "Administrator".  In my experiments, no logs were created whatsoever from normal use. Running the .exe file directly through RDP however seems to work and generates a log.  Do yo think the admin login name could have something to do with this problem?  Any other solutions?

Thanks for your help,

Hi tonii,

(I've reverted my profile name to my first name instead of my middle name - plain "Chris" wasn't available when I signed up)

PowerSwitch is not localized & may only work on English language systems because it uses strings in a few places.  I apologize for that.

I no longer support PowerSwitch and recommend people to use LightsOut.  LightsOut is in continuous development (afaik) & has an author who is actively providing feedback for it.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hi there! I installed PowerSwitch a while back and set it to hibernate/wake at 2 AM/9 AM. I then decided I didn't want the auto sleep/wake feature and preferred to do this manually so I uninstalled PowerSwitch. However, my server still continues to wake up at 9 AM. Is this somehow related to residual PowerSwitch settings? How can I disable this auto-wake feature?  Thanks!!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Ken, per the first post in this thread, PowerSwitch is no longer supported and Lights Out is recommended instead...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:31 PM