WiFi security RRS feed

• Question

• Just purchased a new laptop and Belkin router. After setting up my wireless network, have been able to get the laptop to connect to the router but no internet. It's not a problem with signal strength. Could WLOC have anything to do with this?

Also, how do I go about setting up WLOC WiFi security? One more dumb question, the Belkin installation CD asks about security and whether I want WPA or WEP how do I know what to answer?

Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

• Turn off the OneCare firewall to see if you can get to the Internet via the new router. If not, it isn't a OneCare issue.

OneCare management of WiFi security will prompt you if the router you are connected to is on the supported list and you do not have security enabled (WEP or WPA). I suggest using WPA per the instructions available for you Belkin router.

If it isn't in the setup guide, typically there would be a detailed reference manual on that CD that will answer your questions on how to configure the router.

See this page for information if your router is supported by OneCare for the WiFi feature - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/prodinfo/aplist.htm

Note that configuring security manually does not mean that you are unprotected. OneCare still enables the firewall and other protection.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:56 PM