Remote access shows 'not available' but accessible over LAN/internet. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP MediaSmart LX195 that I have been configuring over the last couple of days.  When I select Remote Access in Settings it tests the remote access and eventually comes back to show 'Not available'.  However, I am able to browse the website either with the local IP address (192.168.0.194) or with the domain name from outside of my LAN.  I received the hardware about 5 days ago however previous to using the HP I had a desktop PC that I installed Microsoft's trial version of WHS on to.  When I configured that computer I had no problems and remote access worked right away.  Today, I turned on the desktop PC to see if there any problems however after an initial problem I did a 'try again' and remote access was configured.  I have a DLink DIR-628 that has UPnP enabled.  I don't know if configuring the desktop PC and router previous to the LX195 is causing a problem now.

I found a link (http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/d-link-dgl-4300-router.aspx) that looks promising regarding setting up a DLink router.

The other think I notice with my desktop PC WHS system (that is working) that there are no settings that were changed in the configuration of the router.  In sections labeled Virtual Servers or Port Forwarding no values were added but I am guessing this does not need to be happening if UPnP is enabled.?.

Thanks, David
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:16 AM

Answers

• I have a HP MediaSmart LX195 that I have been configuring over the last couple of days.  When I select Remote Access in Settings it tests the remote access and eventually comes back to show 'Not available'.  However, I am able to browse the website either with the local IP address (192.168.0.194) or with the domain name from outside of my LAN.  I received the hardware about 5 days ago however previous to using the HP I had a desktop PC that I installed Microsoft's trial version of WHS on to.  When I configured that computer I had no problems and remote access worked right away.  Today, I turned on the desktop PC to see if there any problems however after an initial problem I did a 'try again' and remote access was configured.  I have a DLink DIR-628 that has UPnP enabled.  I don't know if configuring the desktop PC and router previous to the LX195 is causing a problem now.

I found a link (http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/d-link-dgl-4300-router.aspx) that looks promising regarding setting up a DLink router.

The other think I notice with my desktop PC WHS system (that is working) that there are no settings that were changed in the configuration of the router.  In sections labeled Virtual Servers or Port Forwarding no values were added but I am guessing this does not need to be happening if UPnP is enabled.?.

Thanks, David
    Mine also says "Not Available", but that's because I don't forward port 80.  You can always verify it works by going to the Remote Access tab and clicking Details > Refresh.  In any event, as long as your domain name works from outside your LAN, I wouldn't worry about what it says in the Console.
    • Marked as answer by DavoMartinez Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:45 AM

All replies

Thanks, David
    Mine also says "Not Available", but that's because I don't forward port 80.  You can always verify it works by going to the Remote Access tab and clicking Details > Refresh.  In any event, as long as your domain name works from outside your LAN, I wouldn't worry about what it says in the Console.
    • Marked as answer by DavoMartinez Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:45 AM
  • I was hoping for some type of clear cut resolution but since quite a few have viewed my posting I will leave it as is.

thanks, :)
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:30 AM