Setting up Client Computer Backup - Opinions Please! RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS 2011, and I have up to four 2TB drives available to me for backing up client computers. I would like some opinions on how best to do this. Four individual drive letters, each 2TB....any kind of Raid Array...something else?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:50 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server 2011 won't let you split a share (which includes the backup database; it's treated much like a server share in the dashboard) across multiple drives. So:
    • No RAID. It's not supported, and it complicates backup scenarios since the tool that allows backing up your home server is incapable of backing up more than 2 TB of data to a single device.
    • Move the client backup database to one of your four drives, and make sure it's the only thing there.

This will maximize the space available for client backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:38 AM
  • and make sure it's the only thing there.

Ken

Why do you need to do this?  Is there a concern that other folders could fill up the drive leaving no room for the backup database?

Roy

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:57 AM

Ken

Why do you need to do this?  Is there a concern that other folders could fill up the drive leaving no room for the backup database?

Roy

"This will maximize the space available for client backups." Why? When the OP asks about multiple drives for backing up multiple computers, it seems reasonable to assume they expect a lot of data to be backed up.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:30 AM

Ken

Roy

"This will maximize the space available for client backups." Why? When the OP asks about multiple drives for backing up multiple computers, it seems reasonable to assume they expect a lot of data to be backed up.
    This takes care of one of my 2TB drives. How do I make use of the others, assuming that I know that the total of my client backups will exceed 2TB?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:05 PM
  • My recommendation would be to move "static" data (data that you may read, but rarely if ever write) to your server, to reduce the storage used on your clients and therefore the size of the backup database. With multiple drives, you can put some shares on each drive, to distribute the load.

The backup database won't be as large as the sum of all the data on your clients, however; the way data is stored usually results in significant savings vis a vis storage use.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Ken

I am using an original WHS and have built a WHS2011. Like the joemama613, I put in some 2TB drives into my WHS2011. My main use of the WHS's is to backup my other home PC's - all of which have mutiple TB drives. I am a bit dismayed by the above advice because it means that on WHS2011 I can really only have 2TB of space to backup all of my home PC's. This will simply not be enough space. That means for an amateur like me, I'll have to go back to the original WHS - which let me expand the space available for backing up my home PC's by adding more drives. Have I got this right?

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:26 AM