none
How well is the moderators and staffs?

Question

• Did you know how well is the moderators and staffs in this forum?

By the time I propose two answers, why I don't get my answers marked if I propose two answers while other members propose their answers in two threads where I post and propose my answers?

So, how well is the moderators and staffs?

Because are there some off topic threads in the 'Where is the forum for...?' section over here?
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whatforum/threads/

And can the moderators and staffs edit someone's post with the Moderator Text?

I'll come by for your response in this thread, thanks for your attentions.

Best Regards,
    Robert
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:12 PM

Answers

• It's a badly phrased message but I think I get the gist.

1. Why are replies that I mark as "proposed as answer" not marked as an answer by a Moderator ?

I never up a proposed answer to the answer level if the replier and the proposer are the same (i.e. if you proposed your own answer). Other moderators do.

So the reason is either that or because no moderator saw your answer or that they didn't think it a good enough answer or that they were waiting for the starter of the thread (OP) to mark it as an answer.

2. Why do other people's "proposed as answers" in the same thread get changed to Answer status?

Because the moderator or the OP thought they deserved to be upgraded to Answer.

3. Why are there some off-topic threads in "Where is the forum for ...?" ?

a) because many people post technical questions there   (which, yes, are off-topic)

b) because *some* (not all - I always move Off-topic posts to the off-topic forum) moderators move off-topic questions to that forum. (It's something I have queried with the forum people and they are working out a suggested common policy).

4. Can Moderators edit someone's post ?

Yes. A Moderator of that forum can edit both the Subject and the Text of a post. They then need to give a reason for the edit.

I usually use this to edit a subject that is meaningless or too common (Subject="Workflow" in the workflow forum for instance) to one that reflects the question in the post. This helps all readers of the forum to decide if they want to read the question.

I hope that answers your questions.

• Marked as answer by MaxfireXSA Friday, October 10, 2008 5:37 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:17 AM
  • > what about moderators and staffs using Moderator Text on someone's post

It's possible. It's certainly not particularly common or probably particularly wise.

I think I've used it a couple of times to remove "this is urgent" from the text but only when I was already removing "this is urgent" from the subject.

Otherwise it's (in my opinion) just asking for trouble. You can make any Moderator comments you want in a reply - there's no need to amend someone else's text.

Note: This answer assumes that "Moderator Text" just means the fact that a Moderator can amend text. If it means something else, I'm afraid I've never seen it !
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, October 10, 2008 6:32 AM Note: added
    • Marked as answer by MaxfireXSA Friday, October 10, 2008 5:38 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

• It's a badly phrased message but I think I get the gist.

1. Why are replies that I mark as "proposed as answer" not marked as an answer by a Moderator ?

I never up a proposed answer to the answer level if the replier and the proposer are the same (i.e. if you proposed your own answer). Other moderators do.

So the reason is either that or because no moderator saw your answer or that they didn't think it a good enough answer or that they were waiting for the starter of the thread (OP) to mark it as an answer.

2. Why do other people's "proposed as answers" in the same thread get changed to Answer status?

3. Why are there some off-topic threads in "Where is the forum for ...?" ?

a) because many people post technical questions there   (which, yes, are off-topic)

b) because *some* (not all - I always move Off-topic posts to the off-topic forum) moderators move off-topic questions to that forum. (It's something I have queried with the forum people and they are working out a suggested common policy).

4. Can Moderators edit someone's post ?

Yes. A Moderator of that forum can edit both the Subject and the Text of a post. They then need to give a reason for the edit.

I usually use this to edit a subject that is meaningless or too common (Subject="Workflow" in the workflow forum for instance) to one that reflects the question in the post. This helps all readers of the forum to decide if they want to read the question.

I hope that answers your questions.

• Marked as answer by MaxfireXSA Friday, October 10, 2008 5:37 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:17 AM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

Mike:

Unfortunately the latter almost never happens, because OP's see the credit issue has having been already dealt with. Propose as answer is totally counter-productive for this purpose.

We got rid of Propose as answer by OP. If we could just get rid of self-propose, we would have removed 99% of the uses of this ill-considered feature, and we could then get rid of the whole thing. Vote as useful is a much more useful/meaningful.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 12:26 PM
  • I don't disagree with you.

I dislike 'self-propose as answer' intensely. It's however not quite up there with people who post exactly the same message in several different forums (especially if some of the copies are in forums where I can't delete them!).

-------------

Aside: There's a new/old trick practised by the people replying to technical questions that have been wrongly sent to the "What is the Forum for...?" forum. They say "post this question to XXX" and then as they are Moderators they mark the post immediately as an answer. Easy money - you don't have to answer the question at all.

If you see a lot of new names zooming up the charts, that's where the points are coming from :)

Mike
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:31 PM
  • (There's a new/old trick practised by the people replying to technical questions that have been wrongly sent to the "What is the Forum for...?" forum. They say "post this question to XXX" and then as they are Moderators they mark the post immediately as an answer.)

That is actually nonsense because I was at the old Where forum and I never close any  direct redirect without technical help immediately.  I also at that time actively answered  technical questions in .NET, SQL Server and ADO.NET.  I am not just skilled in all of the above but also credentialed in all but ADO.NET.  That is by choice because I do both object and relational model. 

All my points in this new forum are technical points given in the high 90 percentile by users and Microsoft staff and I still have more than 5,000 points seating at SQL Server and ADO.NET, I do data as both algebra and calculus and I am RDBMS vendor agnostic.  I was also I member of a kernel mode mailing list.

And all the current people on the charts don't use the old where forum. 

My Technet forum standing interestingly comes from my points I earned with plain user permissions in the certification forum. 

SQL Server threads 757

ADO.NET threads 671

757+671 = 1428 posts

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    • Edited by Caddre Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:13 PM added
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:54 PM
  • You shouldn't take this personally.   (Perhaps you are objecting to my use of "the" - probably "many" would have been better)

Instead go to look at that forum now. You will see many posts without technical answers where there is a re-direction only to other forums.

I have no problem with that. What I object to is that many of the people who do that within minutes mark their own posts as an answer.

I certainly didn't say ALL people (although I see now that the "the people" could have been misinterpreted. So sorry for that.

P.S. Are you a Moderator in that forum ? I *did* restrict the people I said do this to Moderators ...

P.P.S. You also say "All my points in this new forum are technical points given in the high 90 percentile by users and Microsoft staff" so how could my comments about people marking their own posts possibly apply to you ?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:17 PM P.P.S. added
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I am a moderator but I don't close my own threads by choice in most cases, but I always change wrong OP decisions in none moderator users answers in forums I moderate.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Okay, I will trust Mike's answers, and what about moderators and staffs using Moderator Text on someone's post or the post theirselves(before I'll mark Mike's post as answers)?

And what does 'OP' stands for when Mike said it first in that quote?
    Mike Walsh MVP said:

Mike Walsh MVP said:

• Edited by MaxfireXSA Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:23 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:22 PM
  • OP = original poster.... the person starting the thread.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, October 10, 2008 3:47 AM
  • > what about moderators and staffs using Moderator Text on someone's post

It's possible. It's certainly not particularly common or probably particularly wise.

I think I've used it a couple of times to remove "this is urgent" from the text but only when I was already removing "this is urgent" from the subject.

Otherwise it's (in my opinion) just asking for trouble. You can make any Moderator comments you want in a reply - there's no need to amend someone else's text.

Note: This answer assumes that "Moderator Text" just means the fact that a Moderator can amend text. If it means something else, I'm afraid I've never seen it !
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, October 10, 2008 6:32 AM Note: added
    • Marked as answer by MaxfireXSA Friday, October 10, 2008 5:38 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Mike:

I am opposed to all modifications of text, except editing of your own post when it is still the last post in the thread.

Friday, October 10, 2008 11:02 AM
  •  
    >I am opposed to all modifications of text, except editing of your own post when it is still the last post in the thread.

That's not really much different to what I wrote.

However if you are including the subject then I have to disagree.

If I were to leave the subjects in place, there would be maybe 5% of the threads which had meaningless subjects. These subjects would often be duplicated elsewhere in the forum.

Both facts make it difficult for readers of the forum (most of whom don't read every post) to decide which threads it is worth their while looking at (= where they can make a contribution or where they can find the information they are looking for)

So I make the subject line more specific and when doing that as far as possible copy and paste from the poster's own text so that the subject reflects their own content and not my (possibly wrong) interpretation of their content.

I see this as being what an active Moderator should do as it increases the benefit of the forum threads to the readers of the forum.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Mike:

Changing the Subject is OK. It's changing the text that I do not like, because it can unilaterally alter the meaning of the "conversation."

Oops, slap me, I forgot. We're not supposed to have conversations in the forums, just answers :-).

Friday, October 10, 2008 2:46 PM
  • davewilk said:

Oops, slap me, I forgot. We're not supposed to have conversations in the forums, just answers :-).

@davewilk: I'll might mark Mike's answers right now, so do you think the moderators or staffs were doing well?
    • Edited by MaxfireXSA Friday, October 10, 2008 5:37 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:36 PM