My windows live onecare stopped working out of the blue, and wont start again! RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so out of the blue, windows security centre opened up saying that the computer was at risk, when i checked the details it said that onecare was turned off and it told me to turn it back on, i tried doing so but it didnt work, i went to the help page and followed all the steps except for the last bit of advice that told me to uninstalland re-install onecare, i was a bit worried about this because it tells me i have have to download the 90 day free trial version of onecare, but i paid for the one year use of onecare(and it was only a couple of months ago, so there's still a while to go untill it runs out), anyways i was wondering if by downloading the trial version, does it mean i have to pay for onecare again? or that by writing in my details, i'll still show up as registered for my one year usage and wont have to pay again?
    • Moved by Whosane002 Friday, October 30, 2009 12:20 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:15 PM

Answers

• The first thing that you should check is the date and time of the PC clock in the system tray - right click and confirm all settings.
    If it is wrong, you can encounter the error you are seeing. Correct it and reboot.
    If the date/time are correct, the PC may have become infected by malware or some component needed by OneCare was corrupted.
    I would recommend contacting support before reinstalling.
    When you do reinstall, you will simply need to activate with the same LiveID you are currently subscribed with and it will activate. New subscriptions are not allowed any longer, so no worries about getting charged.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:56 PM