Upgrading from Evaluation Copy to full version RRS feed

• Question

•  

Two months ago I ordered an evaluation copy and built a home server. Now its an integral part of my home network. I bought the full version and now I am looking for options to update the license/product key. I am not able to find it in the Server. How do I do it other then Reinstall?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:28 PM

Answers

• The only way to upgrade to the full version from the 120 day evaluation version is to reinstall. There is a time bomb built into the operating system which will disable your server after 120 days, and there is no way to disable it.

You should be able to reinstall non-destructively, however. When you boot from the DVD, you should leave all your drives connected. A few pages in, you will be asked what kind of installation you're interested in performing. Your options should be a new installation or a server reinstallation. You should choose server reinstallation.

If you don't see the server reinstallation option, you should make sure you've supplied any required storage drivers. You will need to do so twice. the first time is before the prompt for the installation type, and the second time is just after the first reboot, at the start of text-mode Windows Server 2003 installation (at the "Press F6" prompt).
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

• The only way to upgrade to the full version from the 120 day evaluation version is to reinstall. There is a time bomb built into the operating system which will disable your server after 120 days, and there is no way to disable it.

You should be able to reinstall non-destructively, however. When you boot from the DVD, you should leave all your drives connected. A few pages in, you will be asked what kind of installation you're interested in performing. Your options should be a new installation or a server reinstallation. You should choose server reinstallation.

If you don't see the server reinstallation option, you should make sure you've supplied any required storage drivers. You will need to do so twice. the first time is before the prompt for the installation type, and the second time is just after the first reboot, at the start of text-mode Windows Server 2003 installation (at the "Press F6" prompt).
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Ya know, this is a bunch of MS nonsense! There is no reason why someone should not be able to go out and buy a valid WHS license w/PID and install it to upgrade the trial software. Having to reinstall the OS is a bunch of *** and MS needs to address this issue....

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:18 PM
  • with you on that -

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  A911Pro wrote:

Ya know, this is a bunch of MS nonsense! There is no reason why someone should not be able to go out and buy a valid WHS license w/PID and install it to upgrade the trial software. Having to reinstall the OS is a bunch of *** and MS needs to address this issue....

I think that is WHS had been a retail product I would agree with you, but it isnt, its only available with hardware, or via the system builder channel (as an OEM). MS didnt need to make evaluation versions of WHS available, but they did and they decided to timebomb them as Ken said, for various reasons.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:51 PM
  • When I upgrade to the full version, will I lose everything on the server and have to start from zero?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:37 PM
  • No, if you choose the Server Reinstallation option your data will remain intact. You will need to recreate any users, repermission your shares and reinstall any add-ins, but your data will be safe as long as you select Server Reinstallation.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:42 PM
  • I'm getting ready to reinstall from 120 day eval to oem.  2 of the sata drives are plugged into the motherboard and 2 are plugged into a silcon image Sil 3132 Satalink controller.  I believe I won't have to add the drivers till I get to the F6 option.  Just wanted a confermation on this.  Clean install is not a option at this point.  Don't feel like ripping 240 movies and 300 cds again.  The MB is a intel board from Dell and they don't usually require drivers.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Unless all of your disk controllers are configured to work in legacy IDE mode, you will probably have to supply at least some drivers. You'll need them twice: once in the initial graphical setup (before text mode), and once at the beginning of text-mode (the "Press F6" prompt). "...don't usually require drivers." is not something I trust.

If you don't get the option for a server reinstallation in the initial graphical setup, don't proceed until you've backed up your data. The only choice you'll have is new installation, which will wipe your disks. This is usually a symptom of failing to supply all required drivers for storage devices.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Well mine went painless.  Just took a long time.  Didn't realize how many updates there where for WHS.  Deleted all backups because I decided to start fresh on those.  Reinstalled the connector software on 7 clients.  Backups ran fine during the night.  Avast installed fine and found all the clients.  Whiist plug in back and remote desktop working great.  No more ddnss.exe errors.  I think this is due to removing the Realtek network card and going back to the Broadcomm Gig built into the intel mb.  All information in the shared folders is still there and uncorrupted (that I know of).

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I have had much pain!  I am also attempting to upgrade to the full version from eval.

My drive configuration is as follows:
    - 1 250GB IDE drive (30GB partitioned as System, the rest DATA)
    - 1 60GB IDE drive (DATA)
    - 1 500GB SATA drive (DATA)
    - 1 250GB external USB drive (DATA)
    - 1 500GB external USB drive (DATA)

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
    My SATA drive is attached to a Silicon Image SATA controller (SIL3152) and have been loading drivers at both steps in the "Server Reinstallation" process (when it first identifies the drives it sees and then again at F6).  The resinstall continues all the way through successfully installing Windows updates but then begins to "hunt" for my DATA drives.  By this I mean it will alternately identify my SATA drive and another IDE drive as "D:" in an essentially endless loop until it eventually gives up (hours later), reboots itself and generally does the same thing all over again.

I can't get beyond this point to actually run the WHS console.  I can get to the desktop, and have what appeas to be a fully operational OS install.

I have roughly 1TB of "stuff" that I'd really prefer not to lose.  Music and video I could recreate, it's the thousands of photos that I can't replace.

Thoughts anyone?

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:02 PM
  • I have to agree wth you guys on this, you get the evaluation copy to see what you think of the product. To find out that you have to do a complete reinstall to upgrade to the full version really helps to swing the vote. I have a NAS box that is really hard to get the OS on however i have other options that are easier to install and configure so I may as well go investigate...

Will deffinatly tell people who are thinking about WHS to think very carefully about it.

Monday, June 16, 2008 10:46 PM
  • We shall see if it is true

i did a reinstall but now it say formatting.
    i hope i did not lose my data.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:39 AM
  • If it says formation that it's of sure you are going to loose your data, if you want to upgrade your evaluation copy to a full version and if you could able to boot to the desktop, then try to perform an inplace upgrade.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:33 AM