WGA Error at Login - Win XP Pro SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I login I'm receive the following:
    " Windows Genuine Advantage  Notifications has encountered a problem and needs to close."

This is an older Win XP Pro SP3 laptop (3-4 years) and I've reinstalled Windows on twice with the same thing happening each time. I've applied all Windows updates including SP3 and except for IE7.

I followed the steps in the forum sticky to go to the two website to help fix and diagnose the problem and all failed. I'm posting the diag results as directed in the fourum sticky here.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected

Validation Code: 0

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-CPRBC-6JR68-JBJK3

Windows Product Key Hash: zsEJEjGz9MfY1uGToFbjAx6Yeuk=

Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2216352-59197

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

ID: {3F97345A-06C8-4D49-B1F3-0CB8AD3932E6}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Not Registered. - 0x800703e71.8.31.9

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1

Resolution Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.8.31.9

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll[5.1.2600.5512]

File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll[5.1.2600.5512]

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{3F97345A-06C8-4D49-B1F3-0CB8AD3932E6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JBJK3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2216352-59197</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-583907252-507921405-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway </Manufacturer><Model>MX6030 </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Version>61.02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20050802000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>76523E07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: yes

Marker string from BIOS: 1E840:Gateway, Inc

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

===================================================

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).

The new Windows XP Pro SP2 CD came only with the disk and the product key, no other documentation. It is a copper colored CD with the holographic Windows logo. It also says "Version 2002". Purchased from 9software.com about a week ago.

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

WIN XP PRO SP3

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

It doesn't say OEM anywhere on the disc or sleeve but it does on the website where I bought it-- "OEM CD"

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    No

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    pataz

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:29 PM

Answers

•  Hello Pataz,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand you have come across this error:

“WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE

Reference link:

http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c6d90f63-477b-4b6f-afde-2cb5179c7870/

Please restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Next logon as an administrator

Click Start | Click Run | Type CMD | Click OK
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgatray.exe wgatray.old
    Press Enter
    Type: exit
    Restart the Computer and Log into Safe Mode Pressing F8 at Startup (Must be done after you see the manufacturer logo and before the Windows Logo.)
    Type: regsvr32  %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll /u
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll legitcheckcontrol.old
    Press Enter

Please Restart the Computer in Normal Mode and Log In as an Administrator

- Start Internet Explorer

- Enter in the Address Bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

- Please Click on the “Validate Windows” Button Located in the Upper Right

- Complete the Validation Process

If there is an issue here, attempt to repair the system using the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If that doesn’t resolve the issue then download and install Windows XP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe. It can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f8b8bc77-cfa1-47bd-b325-7a6d3893add8&DisplayLang=en

We hope this information helps. Please let us know if this resolves what is causing your problem. Thank you.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, February 27, 2009 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Pataz,

Thank you for providing me with an update :-). Hopefully everything will work out once you install a new hard drive. Please let us know if you need further assistance after reinstalling Windows on the new Drive Pataz.

Again thank you.

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Pataz,

I found some additional information pertaining to "
    Media Replacement for End Users of System Builders". 

This website, 

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=B19F4CE9-DFCB-44E4-9ABE-1C9DFBAD47D0&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us , is to be used by End Users to acquire replacement media in the event that Microsoft software CD(s) originally purchased through a System Builder is defective, damaged on receipt or during installation, or misplaced. Additionally, an End User should only place orders through this website when they are not able to obtain replacement through the System Builder from whom they originally purchased the software.

If you have any questions, please contact a customer service representative at sbcreplacea@msdirectservices.com . Hopefully this will provide further assistance.

Take care Pataz,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:12 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

•  Hello Pataz,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand you have come across this error:

“WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE

Reference link:

http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/c6d90f63-477b-4b6f-afde-2cb5179c7870/

Please restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Next logon as an administrator

Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\wgatray.exe wgatray.old
    Press Enter
    Type: exit
    Restart the Computer and Log into Safe Mode Pressing F8 at Startup (Must be done after you see the manufacturer logo and before the Windows Logo.)
    Type: regsvr32  %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll /u
    Press Enter
    Type: rename %windir%\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll legitcheckcontrol.old
    Press Enter

Please Restart the Computer in Normal Mode and Log In as an Administrator

- Start Internet Explorer

- Enter in the Address Bar:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

- Please Click on the “Validate Windows” Button Located in the Upper Right

- Complete the Validation Process

If there is an issue here, attempt to repair the system using the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

If that doesn’t resolve the issue then download and install Windows XP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe. It can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f8b8bc77-cfa1-47bd-b325-7a6d3893add8&DisplayLang=en

We hope this information helps. Please let us know if this resolves what is causing your problem. Thank you.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, February 27, 2009 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Great. now it won't boot at all. Blue screen. File is ntdll.dll

Another reinstall I guess...???
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Pataz,

After further reading I noticed you had Cryptographic Errors Detected coupled with the following mismatched files:

File Scan Data-->

The previous recommended solution would not have caused the ntdll problem. Please restart your computer and try and boot into a command prompt. If successful please run the check disk command. This may take some time but may help resolve the ntdll.dll error. If this resolves the problem then p
    lease follow the steps outlined below, the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool website will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Please review Knowledge Based article "KB" 315341 "How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP" located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/  This may allow you to install windows without reformatting the hard drive which may allow you to recover pre-existing data. Unfortunately with Cryptographic Errors this can lead to a complete reformatting of the computer.  Please let us know if this helps.

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Stephen Holm said:

Pataz,

After further reading I noticed you had Cryptographic Errors Detected coupled with the following mismatched files:

File Scan Data-->

The previous recommended solution would not have caused the ntdll problem. Please restart your computer and try and boot into a command prompt. If successful please run the check disk command. This may take some time but may help resolve the ntdll.dll error. If this resolves the problem then p
    lease follow the steps outlined below, the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool website will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

Please review Knowledge Based article "KB" 315341 "How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP" located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/  This may allow you to install windows without reformatting the hard drive which may allow you to recover pre-existing data. Unfortunately with Cryptographic Errors this can lead to a complete reformatting of the computer.  Please let us know if this helps.

Stephen Holm

I didn't even get into safe mode so it wasn't your instructions. I think the drive is going bad as this is the third time I've reinstalled and each time it's been something different. Last reinstall Checkdisk kept hanging at 98% on step five. This behaviour only starts after installing all the windows updates and WGA is probably one of them... There wasn't anything on the drive so no data was lost, just time. Chaulk it up to Job security I guess! Going to try a different drive if it fails upon reinstall again. I'll post back with an update. Thanks for your time!

pataz
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Pataz,

Thank you for providing me with an update :-). Hopefully everything will work out once you install a new hard drive. Please let us know if you need further assistance after reinstalling Windows on the new Drive Pataz.

Again thank you.

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Stephen Holm said:

Pataz,

File Scan Data-->

Stephen Holm

I was able to repair the OS from the repair console and it boots fine now, except for the original WGA issue.

So the first set of directions you set regarding booting into safe mode doesn't apply now? Are the Cryptographic errors coupled with the file mismatches cause for a reinstall? If so I can go with my last thought and replace the drive and start over. What do you think?

Also can you tell me, from what I've told you about the OS disc I bought, is it a valid copy of Windows? I was a bit sceptical since it didn't come with a certificate, just a key and a paper sleeve.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Good Morning Pataz :-),

Glad you were able to repair the OS. There is no need for booting into safe mode now since you were able to repair the OS. The Cryptographic errors are coupled with the file mismatches. Pataz as far as replacing the hard drive would really depend on your assessment regarding the hard drive's stability. Maybe you can research online for ways how to test the actual stability of the hard drive. Now regarding if your copy of Windows is genuine or non-genuine. Did you visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare your media disc against what you view there? I noticed you have a Gateway computer system. Manufactures usually send a Recovery Media Disc with their systems or provide a means for the customer to make their own. Did you receive any Recovery and Driver Discs with your computer @ the time of purchase? Customers should always recieve a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker as well. 

Curious where did you purchase the Windows from which you currently have? 

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Stephen Holm said:

Good Morning Pataz :-),

Glad you were able to repair the OS. There is no need for booting into safe mode now since you were able to repair the OS. The Cryptographic errors are coupled with the file mismatches. Pataz as far as replacing the hard drive would really depend on your assessment regarding the hard drive's stability. Maybe you can research online for ways how to test the actual stability of the hard drive. Now regarding if your copy of Windows is genuine or non-genuine. Did you visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare your media disc against what you view there? I noticed you have a Gateway computer system. Manufactures usually send a Recovery Media Disc with their systems or provide a means for the customer to make their own. Did you receive any Recovery and Driver Discs with your computer @ the time of purchase? Customers should always recieve a Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker as well. 

Curious where did you purchase the Windows from which you currently have? 

Stephen

Stephen Holm

The system I'm working on is indeed a Gateway. It belongs to a friend of mine. I'm trying to install XP Pro because his Gateway restore CD will not work. We tried reinstalling from that several times but it hangs in the middle of the process everytime (It intially had XP Home and we're trying to install XP Pro if that makes a difference). Gateway wants $120 just to talk to him because the system is out of warranty. We thought buying a new OS for $83 on 9software.com sounded like a good alternative. The website seems legit (I did a search and didn't see any red lights) and I have even talked to them on the phone about this--- The howtotell.com specifically states:
    CDs that are genuine but are not intended for resale are bundled with COAs and EULAs from illegal sources. In some cases, all of the components are genuine, but they were not produced to be sold together, which makes the whole product counterfeit.
    The CD we received says "For ditribution with a new PC only".
    If they don't correct the situation it looks like I'll need to call my credit card company to dispute the charge.

Man what a freaking hassle!! I thought I would help out a family friend and do a quick, clean install and send him on his way but nooo... Sorry, I'm a bit angry at how much time I've wasted on this. I do appreciate your assistance though, Stephen.

Thanks
    pataz
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:19 PM
  •  Pataz,

Thank you for the additional information. Currently it appears the original Gateway Recovery Media disc has some problems which is causing it to fail. Right now your best option is contacting Gateway (800) 369-1409 and request them to send you a Recovery Media Disc for the particular model system which your family friend owns. Also please visit http://support.gateway.com/s/software/medialess/faq/suppage01su44.shtml which may help you with the ordering process. Several manaufacturers maintain images for around 3 years so be aware of this. 

You may want to disput the charge on your credit card. Also I would visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy and file a piracy report. This not only will help you but also countless others. There are business abroad who take advantage of people. Pataz I would purchase the Operating System (such as an OEM System Builder) from a local business. This may give you more control should you experience a non-genuine situation again. Unfortunately Windows XP is no long for sale unless the business still has some on hand. Have you thought about Vista? Vista Home Premium would be a good choice fora a home user. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/default.aspx and select "Explore The Features". 

Hopefully I have been of assistance throughout your this experience. Should you need further WGA assistance Pataz please drop us a line.

Thank you :-)

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Pataz,

I found some additional information pertaining to "
    Media Replacement for End Users of System Builders". 

This website, 

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=B19F4CE9-DFCB-44E4-9ABE-1C9DFBAD47D0&NewTrans=1&localecode=en-us , is to be used by End Users to acquire replacement media in the event that Microsoft software CD(s) originally purchased through a System Builder is defective, damaged on receipt or during installation, or misplaced. Additionally, an End User should only place orders through this website when they are not able to obtain replacement through the System Builder from whom they originally purchased the software.

If you have any questions, please contact a customer service representative at sbcreplacea@msdirectservices.com . Hopefully this will provide further assistance.

Take care Pataz,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:12 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for all the info Stephen. Turns out the hard drive was bad. I replaced it with another used drive I had and all's well now. I even got the Gateway restore CD to work--sort of... You would think they'd put all the drivers needed for that system on the disc as well but I had to load all those manually. Between that and Windows Update it took a while but all's well now. Even created a new Acronis restore CD set for him with the latest configuration. Its enjoyable when it works the way it's supposed to! :)

Take care,
    pataz
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:26 AM