Setup error: CRM3 SQL 2005 Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm looking for some information on how to resolve an installation error. I'm trying to get CRM 3 installed on SBS 2003 Premium R2; I have SQL Server 2005 at SP2 with Hotfix 3162 installed.

I have followed through the relevant chapter in the Implementation Guide and also followed information at http://www.teknobot.co.uk/archives/53 regarding installation steps. During the CRM install, there is an error validating Reporting Services Report Server, the underlying connection was closed during a send. The installation can only be cancelled at this point.

I can browse to the Report Server and Reports web sites at the server console logged in as Administrator, so I believe that Reporting Services is installed and operating and that the problem is likely to be permissions related.

Any help or pointers on this will be gratefully received!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your responses.

Joel:

All of those items are checked on the Server:

Note as this is SBS2003, the SQL box is the same Server.

Named pipes is enabled under SQL Native Client/Client Protocols

Trust for delegation is enabled

Full administrative rights are available - logged in as Administrator, this is the same account being used to install CRM

Reporting Services has green checks against everything except:

Sharepoint Integration - not supported in this edition of Reporting Services

Encryption Keys - unchanged

Initialization - not able to select

Execution Account - not modified

I have now completely uninstalled SQL Server 2005 and re-installed from clean, installed Service Pack2, applied Hotfix 3162.

Reporting Services reports version 9.00.3175.00 in a browser.

I am installing CRM 3.0 R2 media - having read that SBS2003 R2 broke the CRM 3 streamlined install.

The result is the same, during the CRM 3 install, reporting services fails to validate the report server.

I have also taken the installation media to install on test hardware in the lab and the install completes successfully following the same procedure, so I have an unidentified variable in force on the live server.

Further reading led me to confirm DNS - zones appear correct and NSLOOKUP on the server reports the correct domain and name server.

I am fast approaching a point where my only option looks to be taking the server out of production and doing a complete clean install of the operating system; obviously this is something that I desperately want to avoid.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:18 PM

All replies

• A few things to check:
    Do you have named pipes protocol enabled on the SQL Server?
    Is trust for delegation enabled on the SRS Server and CRM server?
    What rights do you have on the report server?  You mentioned that you can browse logged in as Administrator.  Is this the same account that you are using to install CRM?

Also, go to the SQL box and open the sQL Server Reporting Services Configuration.  Is it completely configured?  Are there green checks by everything, or is there anything still not completed?
    Monday, May 19, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Monday, May 19, 2008 11:51 AM
  • Thank you for your responses.

Joel:

All of those items are checked on the Server:

Note as this is SBS2003, the SQL box is the same Server.

Named pipes is enabled under SQL Native Client/Client Protocols

Trust for delegation is enabled

Full administrative rights are available - logged in as Administrator, this is the same account being used to install CRM

Reporting Services has green checks against everything except:

Sharepoint Integration - not supported in this edition of Reporting Services

Encryption Keys - unchanged

Initialization - not able to select

Execution Account - not modified

I have now completely uninstalled SQL Server 2005 and re-installed from clean, installed Service Pack2, applied Hotfix 3162.

Reporting Services reports version 9.00.3175.00 in a browser.

I am installing CRM 3.0 R2 media - having read that SBS2003 R2 broke the CRM 3 streamlined install.

The result is the same, during the CRM 3 install, reporting services fails to validate the report server.

I have also taken the installation media to install on test hardware in the lab and the install completes successfully following the same procedure, so I have an unidentified variable in force on the live server.

Further reading led me to confirm DNS - zones appear correct and NSLOOKUP on the server reports the correct domain and name server.

I am fast approaching a point where my only option looks to be taking the server out of production and doing a complete clean install of the operating system; obviously this is something that I desperately want to avoid.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:18 PM