PST files not syncing? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get a PST file to sync through LiveMesh.  It doesn't.
    The file is located in a Live Mesh folder. When I open it in Outlook and copy items into folders within the PST file, then close Outlook, I would think the LiveMesh news thing will update saying that the PST file was updated. It doesn't.  If I open the same synced PST file on another computer from its LiveMesh folder, the new items are not there. 

There is a Temp.pst.wlx file on the 1st computer where changes took place though. 

If I upload the PST file to the Live Desktop again, then all updates are synced.  Shouldn't it see that the file was changed and update accordingly?

Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Live Mesh currently blocks the syncing of .pst files (see here, and search for .pst).  The short explanation for why we block .pst files is that Outlook writes continually to the file while it's open, and this could generate all sorts of problems/conflicts if Live Mesh tried to keep syncing the file.  The ability to sync Outlook using Live Mesh is a popular request, though; please feel free to add your vote for this feature to our Wish List.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Live Mesh currently blocks the syncing of .pst files (see here, and search for .pst).  The short explanation for why we block .pst files is that Outlook writes continually to the file while it's open, and this could generate all sorts of problems/conflicts if Live Mesh tried to keep syncing the file.  The ability to sync Outlook using Live Mesh is a popular request, though; please feel free to add your vote for this feature to our Wish List.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Could this policy be relaxed a bit? I see why you don't want to sync pst files that are in use by Outlook, but I have a whole folder with backup pst files that are not in use at all. I was actually really lucky to "manually" find out that mesh didn't sync those, because I was relying quite a bit on the fact that whatever is in this folder would automatically transmit over to my second computer. Just before I whiped my first computer, I realized that not everything had synched over. This was really close, I would have almost lost a lot of valuable data.

So, I think either there needs to be VERY visible UI warning that certain parts of a folder aren't synching (no one really ever looks into the help documents), or even better, pst files should synch. You might block this if they are in use by Outlook, but in general I really think such "hidden" policies will cause more trouble in the end, when people don't know them and think they aren't in place.

Cheers,
    David
    Friday, August 1, 2008 7:19 AM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for the feedback.  There are certainly numerous ways that we're looking to improve the UI to make it clearer for customers what's going on, or why something isn't happening.  With respect to .pst files, we've received numerous requests to make syncing of .pst files an option.  I'll add your suggestion here to our internal list of feature requests.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi Ben,

excellent! Looking forward to a good resolution of this :)

Best,
    David
    Monday, August 4, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I'm definitely adding my vote to this, being able to sync pst files that are not in use by Outlook would be great.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:21 PM
  • I also vote for PST files to be added. I thought my PST files were synced before my computer HD failed. It was an archived .pst file and when I looked at my mesh folder on my machine when I got my new HD, I was thoroughly confused not to see the file there, not to mention frustrated from losing a LOT of data. Thanks.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:17 PM