Cant transfer files from Server to Client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confident this is something stupid - but I can't seem to diagnose this issue so I thought I would ask for help.

I have WHS and 5 clients - 2 running Vista Ultimate, 3 running XP SP2.  Setting up WHS was really easy, all pcs connected no worries and backups are all working fine.

WHS is running on an Athlon 1600+ cpu on a Sis735 MB, 512 MB ram and  3 x 320 GB HDs - 2 internal, 1 in a USB 2 external case.  Works really well!!  Except ....

On 1 of the Vista Mcs I cannot transfer files from the server to the PC.  As I said transfers the other way work fine and the other PCs work.

Browsing the server resources and folders from the client is fine, but If I do try and transfer files the transfer stobs at "estimating time ...", the server screws up and i end up needing to reboot both pcs.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sunday, May 13, 2007 1:44 AM

Answers

• It's probably bad form to answer your own problems - but maybe somebody else might run into it.  My problem was NOD32 on the server.  I guess I knew that anti virus could be problematic, but I am kind of surprised how it effectively killed the whole newtork.  Merely dragging the file to be copied from the server to the client caused the client to hang (Vista Ultimate) and neccessitated a server reboot to enable the other PCs to see the server.

Cheers 

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:47 AM

All replies

• David, I have not seen that problem on my server. I typically access the server as \\server\music (or the other shares) and access the data in that fashion. I have from several places outside of my home accessed the web site and retrieved that data in the fashion you have. Everything has worked OK fro me. Good luck.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply - everything works for me from everywhere else also, including remote file transfer from the web.  It's this 1 machine - very frustrating.  It's probably a Vista issue on the client, but I'm curiuos that the server needs rebooting when it stuffs up?

Cheers

Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:58 AM
  • It's probably bad form to answer your own problems - but maybe somebody else might run into it.  My problem was NOD32 on the server.  I guess I knew that anti virus could be problematic, but I am kind of surprised how it effectively killed the whole newtork.  Merely dragging the file to be copied from the server to the client caused the client to hang (Vista Ultimate) and neccessitated a server reboot to enable the other PCs to see the server.

Cheers 

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:47 AM