Support User role. What is it? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a developer who is trying to programatically update several user roles but bumped into the Support User role and received some errors trying to update it. I researched and found the errors he was receiving in the SDK and forwarded  the info in there onto him.

My question: What is the Support User role and how is it used by MSCRM? I am able to locate it in the application by using Advanced Find but not through Admin-->User Roles.  Are there any other roles that carry the same limitations as this user roe that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:06 PM

Answers

• I think that's the only "hidden" security role. As you've found, it cannot be updated/modified/copied or assigned to a user. My guess is that it is used in CRM Online so Microsoft support personnel can assist with support without compromising data security. Since CRM Online and On-Premise use the same codebase, you'll see it in your On-Premise installation as well.
    Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://www.mscrm4.com)
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dustin B. _ Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• I think that's the only "hidden" security role. As you've found, it cannot be updated/modified/copied or assigned to a user. My guess is that it is used in CRM Online so Microsoft support personnel can assist with support without compromising data security. Since CRM Online and On-Premise use the same codebase, you'll see it in your On-Premise installation as well.
    Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://www.mscrm4.com)
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dustin B. _ Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Thank you Matt!
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:57 PM