Can I reactivate WHS 2011 once I've moved to my more "permanent" solution? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've decided to switch to WHS 2011 for storage and running a few non-profit website at home. However, I currently don't the funds to buy a server, and would like to install WHS 2011 on an existing machine. Also, I want to see how this solution works out for me, mainly on the websites part.

I hope to be able to purchase a server later this year if everything works out. But obviously I want to move the WHS 2011 installation to this new server. The old machine will either be wiped and sold, or just go back to Windows 7 and work as a desktop again.

My question, can I reactivate WHS 2011 on this new server, or is the license bound to a machine? (considering I only seem to be able to find OEM licenses for sale)

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:45 AM

Answers

• BLUF:  The key words are "permanently assigned."

2. USE RIGHTS.

a. Assignment of the License to the Server. The software license is permanently assigned to the server with which you acquired the software. If you run the software on a hardware partition, that partition is the server to which the license must be assigned. That server is the licensed server for that particular license. You may assign other software licenses to the same server, but you may not assign the same license to more than one server.

Check for yourself what the entire EULA states.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

The question was, can we reactivate WHS 2011 on a new server, or is the license bound to a machine?

My WHS is built around an aging motherboard, and I have been considering a rebuild, so would also appreciate an answer to this question.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by In Orde Friday, July 13, 2012 2:24 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• You can install WHS 2011 without a key and use for 30 days.  If 30 days is not enough time, then you can extend the grace period two more times for a maximum of 90 days.  Instructions are in the links below

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Hello,

I've decided to switch to WHS 2011 for storage and running a few non-profit website at home. However, I currently don't the funds to buy a server, and would like to install WHS 2011 on an existing machine. Also, I want to see how this solution works out for me, mainly on the websites part.

I hope to be able to purchase a server later this year if everything works out. But obviously I want to move the WHS 2011 installation to this new server. The old machine will either be wiped and sold, or just go back to Windows 7 and work as a desktop again.

My question, can I reactivate WHS 2011 on this new server, or is the license bound to a machine? (considering I only seem to be able to find OEM licenses for sale)

BullDawg
    Friday, July 13, 2012 12:04 PM
  • On the new machine, just try to activate again. If it works, all is good. If not, you may have to call Microsoft for the activation (you will be guided through this). Once you explained why you need to activate again, you will get the activation key by phone.

I have done this numerous times with Windows Vista and 7 OEM licenses, and it worked fine every time.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:36 PM
  • The question was, can we reactivate WHS 2011 on a new server, or is the license bound to a machine?

My WHS is built around an aging motherboard, and I have been considering a rebuild, so would also appreciate an answer to this question.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:39 PM
  • BLUF:  The key words are "permanently assigned."

2. USE RIGHTS.

a. Assignment of the License to the Server. The software license is permanently assigned to the server with which you acquired the software. If you run the software on a hardware partition, that partition is the server to which the license must be assigned. That server is the licensed server for that particular license. You may assign other software licenses to the same server, but you may not assign the same license to more than one server.

Check for yourself what the entire EULA states.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

The question was, can we reactivate WHS 2011 on a new server, or is the license bound to a machine?

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by In Orde Friday, July 13, 2012 2:24 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Ok, the 90 days trial makes sense. That is three months I get for convincing my wife we need to invest a bit.

I'm not eager to do the "se what happens", when I make the switch my websites will be offline. Though I don't need to keep a tight uptime schedule I don't want my website to be offline too long.

I've purchased the license and I'm going to test some stuff first. Hopefully in a few months I have my server and all will be well. Thanks.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I believe it depends on which country you live in. In Germany (with a spill over to Austria and Switzerland) Microsoft was forced to sell "OEM" licenses to anyone who wants them, and they can also be transferred to new hardware. That's why I was successful in transfering Windows 7 OEM licenses to new machines. Always provided, of course, that the old machine is no longer used with this license. All I was asked on the phone is on how many machines the license is used.

The EULA tells a different story, but it was apparently deemed to be not valid in Germany.

Anyway, if you can live with 90 days then the suggestion to lengthen the trial period is probably the must useful for you.

Friday, July 13, 2012 6:42 PM