Cannot get version 1.0.0013 to deploy, lots of 'build' errors in Visual Web Developer Express 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I will start by saying that I have deployed this solution 4 or 5 times before with Azure and also with an on-premise IIS server. I recently rebuilt my PC and downloaded the latest version of the portal and I cannot get it to build in VWDE2010. I have followed the instructions several times over, I have rebuilt the virtual Windows 7 PC several times over (install VWDE2010 each time) and I fail at step "11." of the guide.

Debug your web project to ensure that the portal will open correctly and get the necessary content from your Microsoft Dynamics CRM system (Right-click on project à Debug à Start New Instance).

I get 30547 errors in VWDE2010, something along the lines of

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Xrm' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Xrm\Xrm.cs 11 22 Xrm

and

Warning 30548 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Xrm.Client". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. Xrm
    Warning 30549 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Xrm.Portal". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. Xrm
    Warning 30550 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. Xrm
    Warning 30551 The referenced component 'Microsoft.Xrm.Client' could not be found.
    Warning 30552 The referenced component 'Microsoft.Xrm.Portal' could not be found.
    Warning 30553 The referenced component 'Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk' could not be found.

and

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Xrm\Xrm.cs(175358,14): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Xrm' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (areyou missing an assembly reference?)

ANY IDEAS?

Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:12 PM

Answers

• I just downloaded the package from Pinpoint, extracted the .cab file with WinRar, then expanded the customerportal.zip file within that folder.  I then opened the CustomerPortal\CustomerPortal.sln file with Visual Studio 2010 and then selected the CustomerPortal project, right-click, Build.  It built the project with no errors.

The errors you are seeing above indicate that you are missing some references or assemblies.  I assume that you have copied the portal to some other folder and the references are no longer relevent.  Please open up the references for your project, locate the references that have a yellow warning, then re-point them to the original files.  From there you should be able to build the project.  Alternatively, you should not just copy the customer portal web project, but the entire folder structure.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

• Marked as answer by Mark Smyth Monday, April 30, 2012 6:14 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• I just downloaded the package from Pinpoint, extracted the .cab file with WinRar, then expanded the customerportal.zip file within that folder.  I then opened the CustomerPortal\CustomerPortal.sln file with Visual Studio 2010 and then selected the CustomerPortal project, right-click, Build.  It built the project with no errors.

The errors you are seeing above indicate that you are missing some references or assemblies.  I assume that you have copied the portal to some other folder and the references are no longer relevent.  Please open up the references for your project, locate the references that have a yellow warning, then re-point them to the original files.  From there you should be able to build the project.  Alternatively, you should not just copy the customer portal web project, but the entire folder structure.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com

• Marked as answer by Mark Smyth Monday, April 30, 2012 6:14 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hello Shan

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried as you suggested and this worked first time. I did two things different, used 7-zip to extract the files and not just running the executable then extracting with Windows zip/unzip utility. The other thing is that I did not copy the files to a new location.

I will try the process again only making one change at a time to see which it was. I can't believe that that it only something so simple.

Thanks
    Mark

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:58 PM