Can't log off, logs back on automatically! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently did a clean install of WHS, because of previous problems, but now I got a new problem.

After I'm finished installing WHS, the setup screen appears (the one for inputting password/servername). But after the first screen, I get an error, and I can't go on installing. After a workaround, described in this article , I finally managed to get rid of the screen.

But now I've got a very strange problem, that no one else seems to have. When I try installing the WHS Console, it says an unknown network error occurred.
    So I thought, maybe it's because I was still logged on manually to the server. So I tried to log off, but I can't! Well, I can, but it just logs back on automatically. I set a password for my Administrator account, but it seems to be saved or something, because it still manages logging on everytime I log off.

Has anyone got any ideas ?

Very, very, very much thanks in advance, Oostingh.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:49 PM

Answers

• I already did that, and it gave the same error: Setup is already running. So what is the main problem causing this error? Is it my software, or is there something wrong with my HDD? Am I the only one having these problems? (autologon, setup error, aftersetup error)

I've never had that happen.  First, do you have any data on your server?  If not, please do a New Installation.

At what point during installation are you getting that error message?  Exactly what are you doing during the install process?  Please be as specific as possible.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:21 PM

All replies

• What you describe, sounds wierd and I would recommend to reinstall again.

What for an error did you get exactly? (Sometimes it is as easy as a not complex enough password or maybe a special character in it, which it doesn't like.)
    Did you leave the WHS DVD in until the installation finished?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Hi, I recently did a clean install of WHS, because of previous problems, but now I got a new problem.

After I'm finished installing WHS, the setup screen appears (the one for inputting password/servername). But after the first screen, I get an error, and I can't go on installing. After a workaround, described in this article , I finally managed to get rid of the screen.

But now I've got a very strange problem, that no one else seems to have. When I try installing the WHS Console, it says an unknown network error occurred.
    So I thought, maybe it's because I was still logged on manually to the server. So I tried to log off, but I can't! Well, I can, but it just logs back on automatically. I set a password for my Administrator account, but it seems to be saved or something, because it still manages logging on everytime I log off.

Has anyone got any ideas ?

Very, very, very much thanks in advance, Oostingh.

I had that problem a couple times as well.  Try rebooting your server a few times.  (There is a key in the registry that counts reboots for the installation process.  Keep rebooting until that key reaches 0.  At that point it should stop doing that.)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I'm rebooting the server a couple of times right now...

There is something you should know: During install, I got a "Setup is already running" error. I just clicked OK, and it continued... But I still don't feel quite certain about it. Maybe this is why my server is having these problems?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I'm rebooting the server a couple of times right now...

There is something you should know: During install, I got a "Setup is already running" error. I just clicked OK, and it continued... But I still don't feel quite certain about it. Maybe this is why my server is having these problems?

It's possible.  To be honest, if I get any errors during installation at all, I assume that install is hosed and I start over from scratch.  Normally, WHS should install without any messages once you complete answering the initial setup/format questions.  (You might want to consider starting over from scratch as well, if possible).
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:58 PM
  • The last stage of Windows Home Server setup is the OOBE setup phase. That's the server name/password/etc. screen. If you're on your server and getting an error after the first screen, I would do as Olaf has suggested and reinstall (again). The workarounds prevent it from running, but until it has run, Windows Home Server hasn't been fully set up.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I already did that, and it gave the same error: Setup is already running. So what is the main problem causing this error? Is it my software, or is there something wrong with my HDD? Am I the only one having these problems? (autologon, setup error, aftersetup error)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:17 PM

I've never had that happen.  First, do you have any data on your server?  If not, please do a New Installation.

At what point during installation are you getting that error message?  Exactly what are you doing during the install process?  Please be as specific as possible.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:21 PM
  • I just agree to the EULA, type in my serial, acknowledge the erasing of my harddrives, and click install.

The 'Setup is already running' error occurs somewhere during "installing Windows Home Server".

I do not touch the computer after I click install.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:22 PM
  • I just agree to the EULA, type in my serial, acknowledge the erasing of my harddrives, and click install.

The 'Setup is already running' error occurs somewhere during "installing Windows Home Server".

I do not touch the computer after I click install.

Exactly when does it happen (during the original GUI portion, after the first reboot, etc.)?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:38 PM
  • I'm performing a new installation right now, i just rebooted for the first time.
    Right now I'm a the blue screen, "Setup is copying files..."
    I'm going to try not to enter my serial during setup, see if the error occurs again. I'll let you know!
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:59 PM
  • You can also try installing with your server disconnected from your network, if the issue isn't cleared up by this reinstallation. (And yes, I realize you're spending a lot of time on reinstalling the software. Sorry...)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:45 PM