Need a hand - one page showing incorrectly on Live Search RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, hopefully I am in the right place.  I run a small site for a friend.  I did not do the inital development, but I am maintaining.  He sent me an email today asking me a question. 

When you search 'Key Homes LLC" on Live search, he is the second top level link on the list.  Well, the text it should show is incorrect.  Somehow it is grabbing the Doctype line. 

If you search site:keyhomesll.com, all the other pages seem to display correctly.  I am not sure where to look.  I have looked at the source, and it seems to mimic the pages that are working correctly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:10 PM

Answers

• Thanks for these suggestions Duane.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi, Josh.

I had a look at the listings for site:keyhomesllc.com (you inadvertantly dropped the "c" in your email).

It seems to me that Live is using the earliest text for the description line under the page name.  Your index page has a very large image (63 KB) in the main body of the page, and the only text that appears is in the sidebar.

My guess (and it is just that) is that the bot is detecting no text and as a "default" is using the doctype.  I would bet that if there were text alongside or preceding the image that text would be use by Live as its description.

But maybe this is happening because your pages do not have Description metatags.  My suggestion would be to insert Description metatags on all of the pages.  I think that description would be used by the search engines in their page listings.

(Also, I suggest changing the page names to be more specific to the page content.)

... Duane

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Duane!  I will try some of those ideas.  The know the site needs quite a bit of SEO work, but I was just baffled because only the first page had that issue.  I will retry some of those ideas and come back to you.  Thanks again Duane!

josh
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Thanks for these suggestions Duane.

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:49 PM