Option to commit session changes, when in admin or non-admin account RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to check my understanding on some basic aspects of SteadyState.

Are the following statements correct?

1.  With Disk Protection turned on, if I am in an admin account and I shut off the computer, I get the chose of saving changes made during that session or not saving them.

2.  With Disk Protection turned on, if I am in a non-admin account and I shut off the computer, I do not get the chose of saving changes made during that session or not saving them.

Friday, January 23, 2009 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, those are correct.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, those are correct.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Rob,

I currently have Windows Steady State 2.5 setup on a computer running Windows XP SP3.  When I log in to any of the accounts on the computer, whether they be the Administrator account or one of the accounts that I am trying to control I get a pop-up box that gives us the option to save or not save the changes that were made during the session.  I have Windows Disk Protection on and the profile is currently unlocked.  We received the error when the profile was locked also.

Based on your previous response I believe that this shouldn't be happening.  Is there a setting that might be set that is causing this or is there a setting that needs to be set that could fix the problem?

Thanks,
    Eric
    foytx003@d.umn.edu
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Try this

Bubble.exe not only reminds users to save data via a pop-up notification, but also prompts the Administrator to retain changed between reboots.

To enable this functionality while limiting the user notification mentioned above, I did this:

Backup your registry (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm)
    Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK
    navigate to HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Wi
    ndows/CurrentVersion/Run
    Delete the Bubble.exe entry
    Create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\Bubble.exe
    Move the shortcut to c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Restart and tell Windows Disk Protection to retain changes

Now users will not see the popup, but administrators will be shown an option to retain changes on reboot/shutdown.

FYI - The post jared_luker mentions also includes this:

"Please be aware that bubble.exe is also responsible for showing warning messages about the cache file running out of space.  Normally, when the cache passes 75% full, bubble will warn the user to save his work because the machine will be rebooted soon to clear the cache.  Without this warning, the machine will simply reboot without any notification to the user."

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:10 PM