Questions regarding Windows Vista License Transfer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Vista Ultimate license that I got separately from my Dell GX280 desktop. The desktop itself came with Windows XP Pro license. I've been using both OS for more than 2 years. Suddenly 2 days ago my PC's motherboard died. Now I need to replace the motherboard. While I am at it, I was thinking of upgrading both the processor & memory modules since the Dell had Pentium 4 & DDR memory modules.

I really don't care much about Win XP Pro, but was wondering will the Vista license be transferred? Or How to transfer it legally?

Note that I am not planning to re-install windows, only replacing/upgrading the hardware.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hello saydel,

If the copy of Vista is Retail, then yes, you can use it on as many computers as you wish (as long as it is only being used on One computer at a time). Replacing the Motherboard or Processer would have no affect.

If the Vista is a OEM version, then no, OEM Licenses are Tied to the first computer they are installed on.  You can not transfer it to any other computers. The Motherboard of a computer is regarded as "The Computer". So replacing the Motherboard (for any other reason then Hardware Failure) would cause a "New" computer to be created and the OEM Vista would not be licensed to run on it. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Hi saydel,

Ok, if it came in it's own box, I assume it's a Retail License, so you are good to install it on another computer (or the same computer with a new motherboard).

As for the Activation Phone Number for Bangladesh, when you install Vista, and it prompts you to Acvtivate, try activating by internet. If that does not work, use the Activate by Phone method. When the Activate by Phone wizard comes up, it will ask you to select your location. In the next screen it will provide you with the phone numeber for the closest Activation Call Center to your location.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by saydel Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

As I said previously, I don't care about the XP license. I obtained a GENUINE VISTA ULTIMATE separately from my Dell Desktop. Now that the DELL's motherboard is DEAD, I only needed to know if I had replaced the motherboard with a different one and the processor (UPGRADED) of the Dell PC would it effect the VISTA activation?

Or, If I face such problem them what is the next step for me?

I used to live in the USA and I purchased both the PC and VISTA ULTIMATE there. Now I am in Bangladesh. The toll-free number you provided would only work in the USA.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Hello saydel,

If the copy of Vista is Retail, then yes, you can use it on as many computers as you wish (as long as it is only being used on One computer at a time). Replacing the Motherboard or Processer would have no affect.

If the Vista is a OEM version, then no, OEM Licenses are Tied to the first computer they are installed on.  You can not transfer it to any other computers. The Motherboard of a computer is regarded as "The Computer". So replacing the Motherboard (for any other reason then Hardware Failure) would cause a "New" computer to be created and the OEM Vista would not be licensed to run on it. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Hello Darin Smith MS,

Thank you so much for the response. Let me clarify the Vista License. It came in its own box with both 32 bit and 64 bit discs.

I know it will ask me to call the customer care because once I had upgraded my hard disk from 40 GB to 120 GB and it made me call Microsoft to enter activation code. I used to live in USA then but now I moved to Bangladesh. So, can you provide me with the direct number for the Microsoft Activation Center?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Hi saydel,

Ok, if it came in it's own box, I assume it's a Retail License, so you are good to install it on another computer (or the same computer with a new motherboard).

As for the Activation Phone Number for Bangladesh, when you install Vista, and it prompts you to Acvtivate, try activating by internet. If that does not work, use the Activate by Phone method. When the Activate by Phone wizard comes up, it will ask you to select your location. In the next screen it will provide you with the phone numeber for the closest Activation Call Center to your location.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by saydel Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:08 PM