Photo types for backup RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I don't know what the developers were smoking when they setup the file types for backing up photos, but they left out several obvious types.

TIF - have you ever heard of that? (it lists this as an other file type)

PSD - I know MS does not like Adobe, but this is rediculous

ARW - It will not backup my sony RAW files

There is now way to add file types or move them from one category to another

Can we expect these ovesites to be corrected in an update? Or should we forget about Onecare?

Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:58 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback on these file types. Do you mean ARW or RAW?

I don't know why these types were not included for Photo Backup, but I do expect that additional types will be added in the future. I also don't know if that will require a program update or if this is something that can be deployed with the minor updates.

-steve

Monday, December 10, 2007 8:20 PM
  • Steve;

He means ARW: http://filext.com/file-extension/arw

I shudder to think of how many proprietary image formats currently exist, and how many are still going to be added.  No one expects you personally to know all possible file extension associations, but I certainly would expect a paid on-line photo repository to be aware of such issues, if it's going to be based on extensions.  I believe that not being cognizant of that basic information calls into question the whole photo backup architecture.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Thanks, Dave. I would have to agree that the list of types that are backed up for photos needs to be clearly stated.

For reference, the backup PM posted this some time back:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2024356&SiteID=2

The following formats are supported for online photo backup,

CMT, CR2, CRW, FPX, IMG, J6I, JFIF, JPE, JPEG, JPG, K25, KDC, KQP, NEF, MRW, PCD, PEF, RAF, RAW, DNG, JPG2, JP2, J62

If this isn't in the Help text, it needs to be.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:54 AM
  • I ment ARW. It is a Sony RAW format file. Not some small fly by night company. It would be nice if the backup application in OnCare would let us move extensions from the "other file" category to the category we think is appropriate. It is our DATA and we probably know what we want to backup.

I know people say that this program is designed for four year olds and anyone with any knowledge should use something else. If the Onceare theam has this attitude then I think that Onecare is sure to fail. Take a look at what the Windows Home Server team is doing and how responsive they are to the users. It is a very refreshing face to Microsoft.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Is there any chance that a future update will allow the backup of ARW filetypes?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:02 AM