Hard Drives Missing from Storage Pool after motherboard replacement RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,

Recently my Gigabyte motherboard failed (GA-MA74GM-S2) and I replaced it with a similar Gigabyte board, though not exactly the same model.  When WHS Vail rebooted, three of the four HDs were reported missing from the storage pool.  I have 1 Samsung 2 TB, 2 WD 1.5 TB, and 1 WD 500 GB connected.  Not in RAID.  The drives work fine and show up on as hard drives not added to the storage pool (including the 500 GB drive which contains the operating system) under the Hard Drives tab.  Currently I'm unable to access two-thirds of my movies, music, and pictures.  Obviously I would like to get these back.  I have seen the "Recover Data after server failure" FAQ.  I assume the best scenario is to copy the data manually to a new location?  Should I proceed with a server re-installation?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• In theory a server re-installation would work.  Vail should see the drives as data drives and add them without losing data.  When you replace a motherboard you really need to reinstall your OS.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 6.5 tbs.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Thank you for the advice.  I'll give that a try and report back.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I would take the drives offline during the OS replacement though and add them back after doing all of the driver installation and software updates.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:16 AM
  • And you could readily run into issues like the old system having drives setup with AHCI driver that doesn't work on new mobo. So many low level drivers are mobo specific and configured at install time that the advice above to reinstall when chaning to even slightly different model boards is probably the best bet.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:54 AM