workflow design parent child records RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I have a scenario where i need to send the email for contacts who register for the events , its like for one event many can register , after registration before event is going to start 2 days before i should send a remainder mail to all the registered contacts , i am trying to create workflow , i am unable to add contact , but relationship everything was created 

Can anyone suggest what might be the best approach to achieve this 

Thanks in advance 

Regards,

Kumar

kumar
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:09 PM

Answers

• When using bulk email in CRM, it's almost always easier to work with the Campaign or Quick Campaign model.  However, there is limited operability for CRM Workflows to automatically driving the Campaign process.  The crux of the problem is a CRM Workflow's inability to naturally iterate over child-records.  To achieve that usually means developing a custom Workflow activity to do it for you.  The trouble then becomes the iteration over different types of child records, or applying different processes for each iteration--these can involve ever-expanding lists of single-purpose Workflow activities that litter the Workflow activity menus.

However, I believe (though must admit relative inexperience with) Windows Workflow Foundation offers a process model that is much more flexible and could be used to hook into the CRM Workflow process.  This probably means that you would need to design such Workflows externally from CRM, to be driven from some external resource.

Dave Berry
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:02 PM

All replies

• When using bulk email in CRM, it's almost always easier to work with the Campaign or Quick Campaign model.  However, there is limited operability for CRM Workflows to automatically driving the Campaign process.  The crux of the problem is a CRM Workflow's inability to naturally iterate over child-records.  To achieve that usually means developing a custom Workflow activity to do it for you.  The trouble then becomes the iteration over different types of child records, or applying different processes for each iteration--these can involve ever-expanding lists of single-purpose Workflow activities that litter the Workflow activity menus.

However, I believe (though must admit relative inexperience with) Windows Workflow Foundation offers a process model that is much more flexible and could be used to hook into the CRM Workflow process.  This probably means that you would need to design such Workflows externally from CRM, to be driven from some external resource.

Dave Berry
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I recently came upon the Distribute Workflow project which may aid the original poster, though it may be too late:  http://crm40distributewf.codeplex.com/
    Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:16 PM