none
Spammer in Windows 7 Networking forum RRS feed

Answers

• This user seems to be an mvp, I'll see if I can figure out who the mvp lead is for this user for help. I am not going to ban this user (mvp with a LOT of answers etc).
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:00 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• This user seems to be an mvp, I'll see if I can figure out who the mvp lead is for this user for help. I am not going to ban this user (mvp with a LOT of answers etc).
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:00 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I realise that, and I think he/she is taking advantage of that purported position.

I notice that VF has taked off his/her solicitation for paid assistance from his banner, but the links remain.

I think this is a bad example for an MVP to set.  What would you do to me if I started putting links to my website on my posts?  Or is this an MVP privelige?

As you say, he seems to be an MVP, but is this for real?  Anyone can write that, and stick in a graphic.  His answers are random, uninformative, and mostly self-referencial (i.e. he keeps talking about his web sites, etc).  He does not participate in discussions, but just posts blindly.

He is not popular in the community, despite his large number of points.  I don't understand how

1. He got so many points.

2. He can be considered an MVP.  He is not very valuable to us!

Here is another example of his 'valuable' input:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/aa547fbe-9e72-430a-8d5f-75174150e7fd

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Yes, it's for real, you can't stick mvp in your name and then have it show up as an affiliation in profile. I'll get someone to start looking into this tomorrow. We have access to all the user's posts so that shouldn't be much a problem to review the user's contributions. Thanks
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Brent,

Please note that this is not a personal vendetta.  I am truly concerned with the quality of this site.

As I said in another post, I tell my customers that Microsoft, with Technet and MSDN, have the best community support base in the world.  I would hate to see it degrade to the level of some other 3rd party forums that I've seen.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Yes, I realise that, and I think he/she is taking advantage of that purported position.

I notice that VF has taked off his/her solicitation for paid assistance from his banner, but the links remain.

I think this is a bad example for an MVP to set.  What would you do to me if I started putting links to my website on my posts?  Or is this an MVP privelige?

As you say, he seems to be an MVP, but is this for real?  Anyone can write that, and stick in a graphic.  His answers are random, uninformative, and mostly self-referencial (i.e. he keeps talking about his web sites, etc).  He does not participate in discussions, but just posts blindly.

He is not popular in the community, despite his large number of points.  I don't understand how

1. He got so many points.

2. He can be considered an MVP.  He is not very valuable to us!

Here is another example of his 'valuable' input:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/aa547fbe-9e72-430a-8d5f-75174150e7fd

This is debatable. I agree that some of his posts aren't on topic well enough (which suggests that the person isn't doing a good enough job of reading before posting). I also agree that the person includes a lot of links (mostly in the signature) to their site, but there isn't a well-defined limit to that. They're making valid attempts to join discussions and answer questions, and that's reflected in their points and Helpful posts (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/vegan%20fanatic). So enough of the posts are on topic and related so that the community finds value.

One solution is to put some limits on Signature links. I saw some moderators went in and deleted their links in their replies.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:34 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, Ed, I agree that a good solution would be to put some guidelines in place about what we can include in our signatures.  In my opinion, links should not be allowed in signatures at all.

The reason for this rather drastic stance is that Technet is a very well known and respected site.  If you put links to your web-site on the Technet site, the search-engine spiders will pick this up, and your web-site SE ratings will improve.

I suspect that some users are posting replies simply to get their banner in yet another thread.  By preventing users from adding links to their banners would completely discourage this kind of posting.

[string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578840055658268").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace "\s{1}\b"
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:32 AM
  • I just noticed that, this person is keep doing in the same thing in almost all forums. Here is an example from Directory Services forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/f56c069f-23a2-4d0d-9df5-8d5b43bbf9e6

The above question or comment adds no value to the community.

Question – What happen when a person reports a thread as a Spam?  Who is monitoring this?  Anybody take any action?

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:06 PM
  • If someone starts a boring or off-topic thread, most wise people just ignore it.  It is when they interrupt an on-going conversation with adverts that it is offensive. 

In this case, to be fair, VF started a discussion, which we are all free to do, and if you didn't like the discussion, you are free to ignore it. 

If you feel that it is off-topic/irrelevant, report it so, but normally these boring conversations are harmless, and just die a natural death.

[string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578840055658268").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace "\s{1}\b"
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I completely agree Bigteddy. ..but why would MS or someone wants to waste their time to read these stupid/off-topic posts?  And moreover, this person is an MVP!

Here is another one from same person - http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/90ad35c4-d215-4ab8-90a4-0a7e609d7b4a/#ee49e917-8f28-496f-abdf-6a4d389a3bb5

You can see some frustration in that thread from other participants.  

• Edited by David Sham Monday, November 14, 2011 3:54 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I see what you mean.  He's a real a***hole.  Best ignored, and I hope he doesn't get his MVP renewed.

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Brent, Is this allowed to add our learning site details in signature - because I have seen some guys has been banned once they add their site details in signature.

Sarah

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Sarah,

Instead of adding this message to an old thread, start a new one asking what is allowed for the signature and what is not.

Hopefully moderator of this forum will split this thread.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:21 AM
  • BTW, looks like he is still an MVP.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:22 AM