Installed Windows Live OneCare and... RRS feed

• Question

• After purchasing OneCare from Walmart, I went thru the painful process of trying to open the stupid package.  On a side note, please redesign the aweful enclosure please.  Microsoft is just pissing folks off with the silly and stupid design.

Now I'm already frustrated and after going thru other stupid hoops like signing up for Microsoft Live ( which I don't want personal information being posted and viewed by the entire world ), I get to a point where I enter the 25 character key code.  Now I get the response that this number is already in use.  Now I'm just pissed.  I've wasted so much time and effort just to read this and there is no phone number included to reach a live person in order to resolve this.

Please tell me how I'm supposed to resolve this please...
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:21 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry about the trouble you encountered. The package looks nice, but can be strange to figure out how to open! I never could understand why Microsoft went to that packaging - it has to be expensive compared to a simple box.

Your best bet is to exchange the package at WalMart as it appears that you have indeed gotten a duplicate key. It cannot be reused and you will need a new one to activate the subscription with.

You can contact support to confirm that the key is indeed in use by someone else or if there is some other problem with it.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/82b89476-2aeb-4f3d-91f8-44b52ad6eead

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

If you don't get an email response from me wthin 24 hours, post back as my email provider is getting more aggressive with the spam filtering.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry about the trouble you encountered. The package looks nice, but can be strange to figure out how to open! I never could understand why Microsoft went to that packaging - it has to be expensive compared to a simple box.

Your best bet is to exchange the package at WalMart as it appears that you have indeed gotten a duplicate key. It cannot be reused and you will need a new one to activate the subscription with.

You can contact support to confirm that the key is indeed in use by someone else or if there is some other problem with it.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/82b89476-2aeb-4f3d-91f8-44b52ad6eead

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

If you don't get an email response from me wthin 24 hours, post back as my email provider is getting more aggressive with the spam filtering.

-steve

Friday, April 3, 2009 6:36 PM
  • No thanks.  It appears that Microsoft has a real issue with this.  All I had to do was go back 2 pages and found the same problem from someone else.  If it's that common, why take this chance again.  I've made copies of this email and have created a word document and the problems and pitfalls this experience has created.  I work as a software engineer/manager and I will never recommend this product to anyone or any bussiness.

To have a forum as a service support system that is not supported directly by an employee(s) of Microsoft is frightning.  I'm simply taking this garbage back to the store and telling everyone to run away from this product.  I'm having issues with Vista but to add insult to injury is just too much.  I find this insulting and poor.

I thank you for your response but you don't appear to be a representive of Microsoft.  I want this feedback to reach someone that would insure that this problem is looked into but it appears this is about as far as it will go.  Truly sad but a true reflection of Microsoft's current products and shows lack of concern about it's customers.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Why is that frightening? The forum is in addition to support, not instead of it. The forum is for peer to peer support. The moderators are volunteers and we have the ability to reach Microsoft in the event of an issue needing their attention.

My first reply included the link for how to reach support. Since the phone number os not in the retail package (a mistake in my opinion!) and cannot be posted in the forum, you can't get the support number readily since you have no subscription to validate. That's why I offer the email route so that I can send you the phone number to call.

If you want to reach a representative of Microsoft, Support is the way to go.

If you want ta refund from Microsoft - 

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp

There have indeed been a few cases reported about duplicate keys, but they are rare. It is unusual that we've had two reports in recent days, including yours, but if I had to hazard a guess on the number of times it has been reported in the years I've been monitoring the forum, I'd say that it was no more than a dozen or so times. There was a block of invalid keys that went out a few years back that required action server side to enable them, but true duplicate keys are rare. The most likely cause of a duplicate key issue is that the retailer restocked and shelved a returned package.

Personally, I like OneCare and continue to recommend it. However, be aware that it is an end of life product - Announcement 11-18-08

-steve

Friday, April 3, 2009 7:06 PM