none
3rd Party Drive Controllers and Reinstalling/Upgrading WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Questions....

If upgrading from Beta 2 to CTP with the "Server Reinstall" option, and you have drives connected to controllers that had to be installed after the initial Beta 2 setup.... during the server reinstall, do you have to use the F6 key to add those drivers right at the beginning of the reinstall?  Or can they be re-added afterwards?

When adding drivers via F6, can it be done from a CD, or do the drivers have to come strictly from a floppy as in XP? 

What happens to the data on those drives if the controllers aren't found during initial setup and have to be added afterwards?  Does WHS wipe and format the drives again?

Thanks.......

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:35 PM

Answers

• You should use the F6 option to add drivers during text mode. The drivers can come from anything the BIOS in the computer WHS is being installed on will expose to the overlying operating system, so a floppy or flash drive would be your best bet. You shouldn't remove the DVD until setup finishes, which is way longer than you think.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 1:14 AM

All replies

• You should use the F6 option to add drivers during text mode. The drivers can come from anything the BIOS in the computer WHS is being installed on will expose to the overlying operating system, so a floppy or flash drive would be your best bet. You shouldn't remove the DVD until setup finishes, which is way longer than you think.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 1:14 AM
  • Hadn't even crossed my mind that a flash drive would be feasible!  Now THAT'S an answer I can deal with.  Thanks!

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:18 AM
  • I overlooked this when doing the upgrade from Beta 2 to CTP.  I just started the install, loaded the drives in GUI mode when it asked for them, and walked away while it was installing.  I forgot about the text mode asking for additional drivers.  So, when WHS was done installing, I had to install my RAID controller setup.  I was excited to see that WHS kept all the files that were on those hard drives (I thought they would have been removed).  However, now I get "file handle invalid" whenever I try to access files from WHS.  So I had to wipe WHS clean of all shared files (had to login to WHS machine directly to do this, since I was getting errors when attempting it from a network machine), then I had to put them all back after the upgrade.

Moral of the story...  Wait for text mode of the install and load the additional drivers.

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:56 PM