none
Max Memory RRS feed

• Question

•  

Anyone here can give me the maximum GB's of memory I can place in a WHS, the "normal" limit is 4GB since it's a 32bit OS, but if you could use PAE it should be able to handle some more (my motherboard can handle 8GB).

I don't want to buy the memory to test and see it doesn't work.

Every search for Windows Server 2003 and memory gives another result.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:33 AM

Answers

• PAE is turned on automatically if the hardware supports it. On a system with PAE enabled, an individual application can have access to up to 4 GB of memory, as long as there is physical memory available. So even though no individual application can have access to more than 4 GB on a 32 bit OS, in aggregate more than 4 GB of memory can be allocated.

In the case of Windows Home Server, you probably won't see any performance improvement unless you're running multiple memory-intensive programs directly on the server simultaneously. If your server doesn't have any additional software installed, then 512 MB is enough for normal operation, and anything over 1 GB is a waste of memory.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:22 PM

All replies

• PAE is turned on automatically if the hardware supports it. On a system with PAE enabled, an individual application can have access to up to 4 GB of memory, as long as there is physical memory available. So even though no individual application can have access to more than 4 GB on a 32 bit OS, in aggregate more than 4 GB of memory can be allocated.

In the case of Windows Home Server, you probably won't see any performance improvement unless you're running multiple memory-intensive programs directly on the server simultaneously. If your server doesn't have any additional software installed, then 512 MB is enough for normal operation, and anything over 1 GB is a waste of memory.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, I run a SQLServer Database on my home server and was thinking about running a virtual machine or 2 on it, so just wondering how much memory it could handle Smile

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:32 PM
  • You should be okay with a small SQL Server database. Virtual machines are pushing things, and virtual hard drives definitely should not be stored in the storage pool; you should install a drive just for that purpose and leave it out of the pool.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for your advice Smile

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:13 PM