none
Self-Marked Answers - Please Stop

General discussion

• I have feedback regarding marking answers in forums Microsoft-wide, not just technet forums.

Over the years, working in the IT field, managing Windows desktop and server operating systems, I have spent quite a bit of time on Microsoft forums troubleshooting problems.

A HUGE problem I have encountered COUNTLESS times, is Moderators marking their own responses as answers without the original poster verifying it resolved their problem.

I can't even begin to explain how frustrating it is when I am troubled with an issue, find a post(which describes my exact problem) on the TechNet forums, then go to view the post to find a self-marked answer by an impatient Moderator and not a resolution at all. 

The biggest problem is the majority of these self-marked answers are not even resolutions to the problem.  I have seen descriptions of error messages, questions about the problem, informative posts(but definitely not resolutions), all marked as answers after the OP has not responded for X number of days.

On my very own threads I have had Moderators mark their replies as answers due to my delayed response.  Fortunately, in this scenario I am able to undo that action.

Please, please, please, stop marking your replies as answers unless the original poster(or somebody else with the same problem) responds that your reply resolved their issue.

Thank you and kind regards,

Zak

Edit: Lets make no mistake here, while points could very well be the motivating factor behind this behavior, I could care less about how many points anybody has. Who cares if there are 500k unanswered questions out there?  If there was never a valid and confirmed solution provided, lets not mark it as answered and wait for a possible answer in the future.

• Changed type Zak Lyles Friday, August 10, 2012 6:40 PM Was meant to be a discussion thread from the start.
    • Edited by Zak Lyles Friday, August 10, 2012 6:46 PM updating OP
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:20 PM

All replies

• I strongly agree. This has also happened to me too many times to count! It seems there are people with the exact problem i have and then someone marks the most common simple answer like "restart your computer and see if it happens again"! Or reinstall office... sure it works for a short period.

These moderators seem to sugar coat the issue and hopes a) some one else comes up with the right answer. b)Wait until no one cares and thinks it is common place or c) They actually believe that they have the right answer and I need to reinstall office or windows every time this issue returns. 

Also after they mark the answer they posted as the answer the never come back and see if other people are still having issues. Cause shouldn't the answer they posted fix the issue?

I guess just am just as frustrated looking for dead end answers for the exact problem I have. 

• Edited by Orion D Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:35 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:31 PM
  • I have found this to be true many, many times. In most of these cases (as OP have said), the marked post is not even an answer to the thread`s topic.

And many moderators are gathering points in this way, that I won`t say in inappropriate (unfair) way.

---

But who we are that we`ll judge. Its even hard to implement something different, because moderators are the one who do the "last-work", when some thread has to be closed (or something else).

The best would be that moderators them self would be more non-eager for gathering points only, but more in a sence what this forum is all about (so in meaning to help others who try to learn programming and whats connected to it).

Mitja

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I agree completely too. Remove Self proposing facility completely. Or change the system so that one can self prpose an answer only after more than 48 hours of posting the answer.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:31 PM
  • I have no problem with being able to "propose as answer", that I feel is needed as it sends a reminder to opening posters who sometimes do not come back to update their post(another problem altogether).

I just feel self-marking answers is where the line needs to be drawn.  There should be no time designation as to when it is OK to self-mark a post as an answer.

There simply needs to be a system:

1. A rule is made stating that moderators may only mark a post as an answer after the OP or another user with the same problem replies that the post resolved their issue.
    2. Moderators should have self-control and follow this rule, never marking a post as an answer without confirmation of problem resolution.

The Microsoft forums is a terrific place to get free technical assistance from other knowledgeable professionals, it's a shame to see it tainted with threads which have been incorrectly marked as answered.

Zak

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Let's be frank - as well as moderators, the group I see this type of behaviour from most are actually Microsoft Contingent Staff. 

I have pared back contributing in a major way because in many of the forums I operate in, you will give an answer then a Microsoft Contingent Staff member will state the same thing, and mark their post as an answer. In some cases, but not all, the answer Contingent staff  give is not even a technically correct solution, precisely as Zak has stated above. It is affecting both askers AND voluntary contributors to these forums.

In short, we are not receiving credit for participating our own time in these forums, as we used to. Therefore, we stop participating. 

I have noticed many MVP's and other regular contributors who have also stopped participating in forums in a major way. 

Many times, Microsoft Contingent Staff do a stellar job of spending the time to research problems and give thoughtful technical answers that are very helpful. 

But the pattern I describe above is becoming widespread in forums I operate, that I am wondering what the point is of contributing at all.

And now we have original 'askers' coming on to complain about this type of behaviour as Zak as done above because he is not getting solutions to his problems - it is not surprising.

Josh Ash

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Couldn't agree more on this matter.

Moderators have indeed become greedy people just to earn points ! This needs to stopped and moderators should be suggested to refrain from such activities.

When they are already moderators, what big difference does it make if he/she has less/more points ?

latest example of an misbehaved moderator

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/02db1dd0-0560-47ad-8167-88318e38a6dd

Don't be a prick ! Be reasonable and provide your feedback. Say something whether the suggestion was helpful or not, mark a reply as answer or click on to vote helpful if any suggestion really helps you, don't leave that choice to moderators, let the credit go to a contributor who has invested his precious time on your questions. Please be informed that, moderators are also humans and they also make mistakes ;-) Last but not the least, Unmark as answer if any post doesn't answer your question/s !!!

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Couldn't agree more on this matter.

Moderators have indeed become greedy people just to earn points ! This needs to stopped and moderators should be suggested to refrain from such activities.

When they are already moderators, what big difference does it make if he/she has less/more points ?

latest example of an misbehaved moderator

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/02db1dd0-0560-47ad-8167-88318e38a6dd

Don't be a prick ! Be reasonable and provide your feedback. Say something whether the suggestion was helpful or not, mark a reply as answer or click on to vote helpful if any suggestion really helps you, don't leave that choice to moderators, let the credit go to a contributor who has invested his precious time on your questions. Please be informed that, moderators are also humans and they also make mistakes ;-) Last but not the least, Unmark as answer if any post doesn't answer your question/s !!!

+1

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:29 PM
  • WHO WILL GUARD THE GUARDIANS ?

MS Administrators, MSFT's any thoughts on this ?

Please give credit to the contributor who really helped you with the issues.

Abusive comments Removed :-)

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:49 PM
  • I agree completely too. Remove Self proposing facility completely. Or change the system so that one can self prpose an answer only after more than 48 hours of posting the answer.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

If you think these forums are bad, try the Microsoft Answers forums.  It seems that most of their moderators immediately mark their own post as the answer.  As far as I can tell they are rarely answers at all.

Yes, the time delay needs to be addressed.  Some moderators mark their own post as the answer after a week, some after a month, etc.

I do not think that we ordinary users get any points for marking our post in our own thread as the answer.  Nor do I think we get any points for self proposal in other threads.  For moderators I have no idea.

But I think it is extremely egotistical and impolite for anyone besides the OP to mark a thread as answered.  On the other hand, some posters just submit the one post, read the responses and never report back.

I think the answer might be for questions to automatically revert to discussion threads if the OP does not mark it answered within a reasonable length of time, say a month, from the last post in the thread.

• Edited by Brian Borg Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:23 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:14 AM
  • I wonder if Microsoft Contingent Staff are performance rated based on the number of answers they provide.. how else could their performance be measured?

Here's how I see it...

The past - MVP's, major voluntary contributors, participation from Product Team members themselves that actually worked for Microsoft product teams.

The future - scripted answers from cheap outsourced IT labor. No product team participation, many moderators motivated by self-interest.

Come on Microsoft, you can do better.

Josh Ash

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Hi All !

First of all nice to see above comments from you guys. I am Moderator myself. Its little surprising that no one from Microsoft Administrator group has replied to this thread.

I need to say this, that you guys need to understand the Moderator role / Moderator duties as well as how one can become a Moderator for specific technical group.

Also you guys needs to distinguish community Moderators (non Microsoft Employee) with MSFT Moderators (Microsoft Employee) i am calling them Microsoft Employee by the definition of MSFT.

1) The procedure for becoming a Moderator is, when someone from a Community is being exceptional in any of the technical forum by providing number of correct Answers, either an existing Moderator or Forum Administrators / Forum Owner can identify that person and file a case for him including all the technical ability of this person specific to that technology and after thorough filtration person will be awarded Moderator rank which can be taken back any point.

Currently the process has been little change, usually when someone is been identified as potential candidate for Moderator it can be you as well, he/she can be asked to open a thread for himself at "Forums Issues (not product support)" Forum and include the support things for his/her case.

From there onwards his/her case will be taken by Forum Administrator and depending upon his/her case he/she may be awarded Moderator role along with the Moderator guidelines which includes all the concern raised mentioned above. Below is the link for Forum Moderation Guideline for your reference;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1034.moderating-microsoft-forums.aspx

Now, hope you guys understand its not very easy for a Community member to be an Moderator unless he/she made some real nice effort in any of the technical forum. Forum Moderators are specific to their areas of expertise. One person might be a Forum Moderator at one Forum but won't be Moderator at another Forum.

So you really need to distinguish between those who are misusing their Moderator rights, so these Moderator rank can be taken back. But need to make sure include all the supporting to your request, stating how many Number of Times he/she made mistakes and also what the percentage of his/her activities where you think he/she is wrong.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hi Hasham

I think what we are saying is that it's a certain type of behaviour that we'd like to highlight - and have changed, rather than trying to remove anyone's moderator status.

Community moderators have always done a fantastic job here.

Cheers

Josh 

Josh Ash

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi Hasham

I think what we are saying is that it's a certain type of behaviour that we'd like to highlight - and have changed, rather than trying to remove anyone's moderator status.

Community moderators have always done a fantastic job here.

Cheers

Josh 

Josh Ash

Very True ! I am in agreement with Josh.

The concern here is (Josh already mentioned in his post before) few moderators marking their reply as answer ignoring the answers posted by other contributors which is more relevant to the description of the post.

I also feel bad that, most of the times OP's wouldn't give any feedback even though a suggestion helped them. In such situations moderators take advantages of their position by marking their reply as answers. This has happened with me many times and I am sure other contributors might as well have come across similar situations.

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:06 AM
  • I have never seen such behavior in the forums I am frequent (SQL Server related forums). All moderators there (MFST) seem very knowledgeable and provide good answers.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:26 PM
  • A few points:

• Moderating is a lot of work, with little recognition
    • I don't believe any points are awarded for marking your own reply as an answer
    • I don't believe you get credit toward any achievements for marking your own reply as an answer

The main problem is the desire by Microsoft to minimize old unanswered threads. I think forums are judged on the number of unanswsered questions. There seems to be no other way to "close" a thread. Maybe the solution is to have some other way to "close" threads. Sometimes there really is no answer (it cannot be done, no one knows how to do it, it should never be done because it violates security, no one understands the question).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:45 PM
  • A few points:

• I don't believe any points are awarded for marking your own reply as an answer
    • I don't believe you get credit toward any achievements for marking your own reply as an answer

Hi Richard,

No offence here, however, would like to know how things work in MS forums

1. I agree that, moderating a forum is a tough job. No doubt about it.
    2. When I ask a question and mark my own reply as answer, then points are not awarded.
    3. Yes, I don't get credit for my own marked answers.

However, I don't believe point 2 and 3 holds true in case of moderators. If a moderator marks his reply as answer then points credited to his profile. If at all, thats not true then how would a moderator gets points ? 

I have been active in technet forums since a year or so and as per my observation there are only handful of OPs who actually mark right answers or else most of the times moderator marks the replies as answers.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:58 PM
  • No one receives points for self-marking their answers anymore. Moderators don't receive points for that.

My blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Thanks for the second thought Naomi. That clarifies my doubt.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:09 PM
  • When you mark your own reply as an answer, it shows up in your profile activities, and is reflected in the number of forum answers in your profile. But you don't get points or credit toward achievements. At least, that's my understanding. But sometimes I sense a "push" to clean up unanswered threads (I could be wrong). It's possible Microsoft staff or contractors are judged on their total answers, but more likely the "Unanswered Questions" in forum statistics is the target.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:42 PM
  • When you mark your own reply as an answer, it shows up in your profile activities, and is reflected in the number of forum answers in your profile. But you don't get points or credit toward achievements. At least, that's my understanding. But sometimes I sense a "push" to clean up unanswered threads (I could be wrong). It's possible Microsoft staff or contractors are judged on their total answers, but more likely the "Unanswered Questions" in forum statistics is the target.

Richard - You might be correct.

Zak - Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:51 PM
  • No offense taken here Santosh.  I originally posted this thread with the hopes that it would not only get the attention of the community, but Microsoft as well.

To those defending/describing how to report moderators - I never intended for this thread to be about condemning or punishing moderators.  I know moderators work hard and do not want them to feel unappreciated.  As many others have said already, we would just like to see an end to this particular behavior.

Example 1: Being Human posted a link to a thread in which the moderator has since gone back and corrected his action, but most likely only due to others commenting and complaining about the behavior: Marking own post as answer after another user provided an answer.

1. OP asks a question in the Windows Server forum about WSUS recommendations.
    2. Santosh replies first with an appropriate answer to the question and additional information.
    3. Moderator comes into the thread, posts "I suggest you ask this question in the WSUS forum" and marks his post as the answer.

Example 2, one of my threads: Marking own post as answer after X number of days with no verification of resolution.

1. I post about a problem with SSRS reports, noting two VERY specific environmental conditions.  One, all of our users are standard users and two, UAC is enabled on all workstations.  I need an enterprise-wide solution to the problem.
    2. Six days later Moderator comes in, suggests disabling UAC and making users local administrators.  Obviously not an enterprise-wide solution.
    3. Six days later, after I who had been on vacation had not responded, moderator marks post as answered.  While it had clearly not been answered.

Example 3, one of my threads: Marking someone else post as answer when the post contains only questions and no suggestions.

1. I post about a problem with Outlook Crashing.
    2. Regular User1 comes in and asks two questions about the problem.
    3. After 5 days with no response from me, moderator marks User1's response as an answer to the problem.

Example 4, one of my threads: Marking own post as answer after making non-applicable recommendations.

1. I post about a problem with Outlook throwing errors about auto-archiving to PST in an Exchange Online Archive environment.  In this environment ALL auto-archive options related to PST's are removed by policy from the Outlook options window.
    2. Moderator recommends checking auto-archive settings in Outlook, which are not there.
    3. After 5 days with no reply, moderator marks his post as the answer.

These are just a few of the many examples I have come across.  I just want to see this type of behavior end.

Zak

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Here is an example of mine:  A media driver your computer needs is missing.

None of the responses really answered the question and I did not think the real answer was readily available.

So I changed it from a question to discussion and left it at that.  Similar to what I said above:

I think the answer might be for questions to automatically revert to discussion threads if the OP does not mark it answered within a reasonable length of time, say a month, from the last post in the thread.

I knew I could mark my own workaround (boot from a DVD instead of USB) as the answer, but it wasn't the answer and I knew I wouldn't get any points anyway.

There are far too many threads marked as answered that do not really provide the answer to the OP's question.
    • Edited by Brian Borg Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:02 PM
  • No one receives points for self-marking their answers anymore. Moderators don't receive points for that.

I just tested this (Confirmed by OP, waited a week to mark it) and I can confirm that I did get points for it (according to the "marked as answer by the community" -rule.)

As for the issue here, I agree, replies that do not answer the question should not be marked as answers. :) I really don't know what the motivation behind this behaviour could be.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:27 AM
  • I have never seen such behavior in the forums I am frequent (SQL Server related forums). All moderators there (MFST) seem very knowledgeable and provide good answers.

My blog

Are you serious? You have been long enough in the forums to sense this quite easily. NOt sure why you are saying this.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 1:38 AM
  • I cannot say that it is never valid for one to mark/propose one's own post as answer, but I feel it should be used very sparingly.

When we post to someone's question, we are either trying to get more information about the problem, asking what they have tried, making suggestions, and sometime providing an answer. Typically, the real answer is not given by an individual, but is made up of points suggested by a number of posters.

When I provide what I think is the answer, I let it stand for itself. I am usually so sure it is the answer that it seems redundant to propose it as the answer. That is what I have just done; in English; in the post.

I understand the concerns regarding a question that has not been marked as answered. Surely the paramount issue is: did the original poster get an acceptable answer to his question. A secondary question is: will others find it as the answer to their similar question.

But there is another possibility: there might not be an answer. Technically, though, that could just mean that the answer is that there is no answer. Sometimes the lack of an answer is just a poor reflection on the question itself.

It appears from above comments that posts that are not the answer are sometimes marked that way by someone other than the poster. If so, that seems even worse than the thread not having an answer identified as such.

If this is seen as leaving trouble tickets open forever, there might be some other resolutions outside of making it look like a problem was solved. Here are some possibilities:

1. moderator adds a post summarizing what the aggregate answer seems to be, and marks it as a "possible" answer.
    2. moderator marks an old and inactive thread as "abandoned"/

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:42 AM
  • I am absolutely serious.

My blog

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:50 AM
  • HI !

@Moderator : Okay lets lock this thread, these banned guys are back with different id's. I am reporting them.

Now please avoid replying this thread.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Umm, lets NOT lock this thread.  I'm sure you are the person who marked the previous two posts as abusive.  Please explain to me how those posts are abusive?

People are giving examples of the issue being discussed.  Now responses like Being Human's response was abusive because he called moderators a-holes and started using other offensive language.

When people become offensive, ban them or delete their post, but DO NOT lock the thread and sweep the issue under the rug.  The more people who post here about the issue, the more attention it will receive, and the more likely it will be addressed.

If a moderator says they haven't seen the behavior, there is nothing wrong with posting examples of the behavior such as I did.  I'm not posting to say "in your face", but rather to show that I'm not just making things up.  I posted four examples, three of which were my very own threads, but I could have listed many many more and would be more than willing if a moderator would like to see more examples.

• Edited by Zak Lyles Friday, August 10, 2012 6:32 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Hi Being,
    We respect the right you share your viewpoint on Moderation,while offensive/un-proper remarks make no progress on it.
    It's helpful to adjust your signature to all the community engagement.

Pan Zhang Customer Support EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi Being,
    We respect the right you share your viewpoint on Moderation,while offensive/un-proper remarks make no progress on it.
    It's helpful to adjust your signature to all the community engagement.

Pan Zhang Customer Support EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Hi Pan Zhang,

Signature has been modified :-)

Thanks

Please give credit to the contributor who really helped you with the issues.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I am saying this about SQL Server forums I am frequent. I don't remember seeing bad post by MSFT moderators or when they mark an answer and I would disagree with that. In a few forums (I don't check all SQL Server forums, but check several) all MSFT moderators seem to be good and knowledgeable. This is my opinion and I stay by it.

Of course, anyone can make a mistake, but I don't remember any recent cases of them.

My blog

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:55 PM
  • $0.02...

I am a moderator in the VB forums.  We strongly discourage this kind of behavior over there.  I have unmarked other moderators answers in a few cases.  But I've also been looking for some bit of info on TechNet and many times I've hit the same roadblock as the OP in this thread - and meaningless answer that closes the thread with no satisfactory resolution.

The general guideline we (VB Mods) follow is that if there is an obvoiusly acceptable answer, then after three days of no activty from the OP, we'll close the thread by marking an answer (may or may not be our own post - often it is not a moderator post but something from another contributor).

In cases where there is not an obvious answer, we change the thread to a discussion (or move it to off-topic) with a note that it was abandoned by the OP (the move to OT is typically more for a long-term lack of response).

I think that this should be the gerernal principle that is passed from forum admins to the moderator community.  Chaning the question to a discussion removes it from the list of answered threads, but leaves it available for the OP to switch it back to an active question if they happen to return at some later date.

I'll also see about linking this thread in the moderator forum and perhaps we'll get some more genuine input on the subject.

The other thing I want to comment on is proposing your own post as an answer.  This, IMHO, should also be avoided.  Of course you think it is the answer, that's why you posted it!  =P  When you propose your own post you prevent someone else from doing so.  When one person posts something and then someone else proposes it as an answer, it gives the OP more validation that the post is correct.  That's not to say that all proposed posts are actually relevant answers, but if you have two conflicting responses and someone else proposes one of them, it can help to determine what is correct and what is not-so-correct.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:51 PM
  • All I can say is, thanks goodness I found this thread. I thought I was the only one who thought this was wrong. I've even asked a couple of moderators who I've seen doing this, why they've marked a reply as an answer when it clearly wasn't, but I've never had a reply back from them.

I didn't even think of it potentially being a points thing (as Naomi points out, no pun intended, nobody gets points by making their own posts as the answer, which is a good thing), I found this comment intriguing "I wonder if Microsoft Contingent Staff are performance rated based on the number of answers they provide". That would certainly explain the behavior, & I hadn't thought of that as a motivation either, until I saw the comment.

Whatever the reason, I wish the behavior would be stopped.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:22 PM
  • If you first propose your own answer and then mark it, you're working towards the achievement which Ed Price already got.

My blog

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Basically, there are no points for marking own answer as answer. However, if that answer was first proposed as an answer, then it's working towards the achievement.

My blog

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:12 PM
  • It will be nice if MSFT contingent staff member comment on that to see if this is a valid speculation. 

My blog

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Naomi,

PLEASE don't suggest that people immeditaley propose their own posts as a question's answer (or even let people mistakenly think that's what you meant if you actually didn't)!

It's one of my absolute pet HATES.

Of course when someone posts an answer, they naturally think it's the answer, so there's absolutely no need for them to propose their own reply as the answer straight after they've posted it. Doing this means that it can never be "confirmed" as a proposed answer by anyone else (I'd actually like to see multiple people able to propose a reply as an answer, so the OP can see that a number of people feel the reply is the correct answer, but that's another discussion).

After a while, if no other replies are posted, I have no problem with that person giving the OP a bit of a nudge by then proposing their reply as the answer (I've done that myself on occasion).

I also feel VERY strongly that nobody (other than the OP, including all moderators/owners) should mark any reply as the answer to a question, unless they've proposed it first, & subsequently no answer has been accepted (within a reasonable period).

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:41 AM
  • I am not saying that they propose it immediately (although I've seen one MVP constantly proposing his own answers immediately). I've seen Ed proposing his own answers (sometimes right away, but mostly after some period of time) and then marking them a few days later.

I don't like this practice myself and never propose my own answer or mark my own answer.

My blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hmm, are you sure? I don't want to test it, but I believe a person marking his own answer (in somebody's else thread) should not get the points. If it's not the case, then it's a new bug, which should be brought up in Achievements forum.

My blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:58 AM
  • It drives me nuts when i see people proposing their own post as the answer.  Also, I've seen trends where some contributors seem always to have 2 or 3 helpful points against every post they make.  Either they've got a loyal fan base, or they've got 2 spare accounts and are using them to artificially inflate their helpfullness.

As far as moderators and marking their own answers go; on the SQL Server forums, I think that they're fair and honest.  Their suggestions are always comprehensive and clearly well researched.  At the end of the day, if the OP doesn't respond saying one way or the other what resolved their problem, a judgement call needs to be made, and I seldom see a marked answer from a moderator that I think's way off.

Thanks, Andrew

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Andrew,

I agree and that was my point earlier made. I am not frequent in other forums to confirm / deny what was said about the moderators behavior, but in SQL Server forums they all seem to be knowledgeable and fair. 

My blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:03 PM
  • I never mark my own replies as an answer. I cannot verify whether or not I would get points. I assume I would not (based on earlier discussions, especially when the new points system was introduced).

However, I sometimes do mark my replies as "Proposed Answer" (after a delay of a few days). I do this to prompt the OP, but also to assist other moderators. Also, I wish that other moderators would do the same, to assist me in identifying the best answer. It helps to know that two of us agree. Often, the moderator that replies is the expert in the area, and knows best. Especially if the thread is long, and the solution cannot be easily tested, I want the expert to mark a proposed answer (if the OP does not mark an answer). I try to wait 7 days (as suggested by Ed Price) before finally marking an answer.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I usually don't mark answers (except in some very obvious cases) and let MSFT people mark the answers. I propose other people answers promptly after I read them when I like the answer or agree with their points.

I sometimes unmark the answer if I feel it is not good.

My blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:50 PM
  • @Richard - all of that sounds totally reasonable. It's the "immediate" proposing/marking, along with moderators marking "something" just to get the question "closed" that bugs me.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:43 AM
  • A few points:

The main problem is the desire by Microsoft to minimize old unanswered threads. I think forums are judged on the number of unanswsered questions. There seems to be no other way to "close" a thread. Maybe the solution is to have some other way to "close" threads. Sometimes there really is no answer (it cannot be done, no one knows how to do it, it should never be done because it violates security, no one understands the question).

I personally think "It cannot be done' can indeed be the answer in some cases.

Perhaps even the " it should never be done because it violates security" case...

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Agreed that unanswered threads could be problem, because it would make the forum looks like as if it's abandoned (Full of long time unreplied posts suggest that it's unlikely to get answer there, which will make even fewer people to ask new question there, and makes participater thinks that forum is boring and start looking elsewhere, therefore entering a vicious circle). So if I'm responsible to take care of a forum, I would have taken measures to prevent unanswered rate go above 70%.

The problem is just that "marking non-answer as answer" is the wrong way to get it done.

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:05 AM
  • This thread-owner is absolutely right. I've just seen that behaviour a few days ago by Yan Li or something. But gladly he unmarked his answer later again.

Powershell Newcomer

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Strange how noone from MSFT has responded to this massively upvoted thread?

Josh Ash

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:34 AM
  • I agree with all posts complaining about self-marking post as an answer.
    I have seen (as already mentioned) wrong suggestions or posts that have nothing to do with original post marked as an answer by either moderator or OP.
    It is irrelevant if this action advances points or not. I threat each thread marked as an answer as resolved and do not open it. As it turns, from my experience many of the OPs are left with wrong answers or no answer at all.
    That is wrong, frustrating and I think marking own posts as an answer should be disabled; moderator or not.

By the way this thread was started in July; it is September now and almost three months passed.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

JohnCz Please consider voting if you find this post helpful.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:17 PM
  • I have an idea

I think we need the ability to vote a post as 'Not Helpful' or 'Did Not Help'.. or even delete a response so our post stays in the 'No Replies' filter.

It serves two purposes.

1 - It quickly allows readers facing the same issue to discount particular suggestions that do not work towards solving the solution

2 - It discourages people from hijacking threads, with unhelpful posts, taking us off the 'No Replies' filter -> this is a big one for me.

One of my biggest frustrations when facing an issue is posters who post obviously wrong answers, which takes my post from having 0 replies to greater than 0 replies. I know from experience a post with 0 replies is more likely to be read, and that is why I find it frustrating when I receive an obviously unhelpful answer.

Having said that I am happy to get replies that are good attempts, or ideas - as even if they don't solve the issue, they can still be useful in trying something that I have not thought of.

What do you guys think?

Josh Ash

• Edited by Josh Ashwood Monday, September 17, 2012 10:33 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Hmm, nice idea. I got one aswell:

Let's say someone starts a question.

1. There will be discussion but not really an answer for the question.

2. a) The questioner gets inactive for like 30 days without telling anything etc. The post gets automatically "Answered" after 30 days.

2. b) The questioner gets inactive for like 30 days BUT marked the thread something like "inactive" so people will know, the questioner will come back after a while, and when the questioner is back and unmarks "inactive", the thread automatically goes to the top page again so people can help again. (Something like this)

What would you think about this idea?

Lua Programmer & Powershell Newcomer | Location: Switzerland

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Nice one too... just some method so we can keep our unanswered posts on top.

Josh Ash

Monday, September 17, 2012 11:53 PM
  • I like your idea, except for the automatically being marked as "answered". But I do agree that a way of "closing" a thread, or marking it as "inactive" would be a much better idea than moderators randomly marking "something" as the answer, just to get the question off the list of "open" questions.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:20 AM
  • One of my biggest frustrations when facing an issue is posters who post obviously wrong answers, which takes my post from having 0 replies to greater than 0 replies. I know from experience a post with 0 replies is more likely to be read, and that is why I find it frustrating when I receive an obviously unhelpful answer.

Having said that I am happy to get replies that are good attempts, or ideas - as even if they don't solve the issue, they can still be useful in trying something that I have not thought of.

What do you guys think?

Josh Ash

I am not in agreement on quoted sentences. 

Regular contributors never post wrong answers ! It might be possible that, the reply which they have posted might not be applicable for that context. It's up to OP to decide whether the reply is right, wrong, helpful or not helpful ! We as members of this forum have no rights to judge value of a post.

A reply from one contributor might not be helpful for OP or for you (just for example), doesn't mean that its totally irrelevant to others who come across that post.

For few issues, we cannot judge whether they are good attempts or ideas, like I said before, only an OP can decide that.

N.B. I am NOT defending Forum Moderators or Microsoft here !!!

I seriously feel that, most of the times it's the mistake of the OPs not replying to their own created posts !

The eagerness which an OP show during the newly created post won't last longer. I have observed many such OPs who do not even care to reply to their post and show some gratitude to the contributor. Yes, we would never know whether the issue is resolved or not however, to be ethical, at least a person should reply and assert if the contributor's reply was helpful or not.

For some of the questions asked by OP, answers are pretty straight forward and blunt ! in such cases, if OP do not mark the reply as answers, moderator's have all the rights to mark RIGHT replies as Answers,  I don't see any issue over there.

In some of the case, OP do not even know what he is looking for or don't ask RIGHT questions. Instead of asking a straight forward question, he starts beating around the bushes. Believe me, I have seen such OPs. I can even post such threads here however I do  not want to start blame game here.

In some occasions, I had seen OP marking his closing comment as answer instead of marking the reply which actually helped him.

In some occasions, I had seen OP marking a followup question from moderator as a answer which has nothing to do with the actual answer or a proposed answer.

Not all OPs respect or follow forum rules, such things need to be changed first and such OPs need to be tamed and they need to shown right direction. Moderators try to do that most of the times however it's not a perfect world ;-)

Last but not the least, there were issues in forums, there are issues in forums and there would be issues in forums when it comes to marking a reply as answer !!!

I hope, moderators would be little careful while marking the answers and I really wish OPs would also follow the forum rules and respect contributors and moderators.

These are my general views and not targeted towards an individual here or some one who would read this reply.

Cheers !

Thanks !

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I would like to put in another option: remind the people who have asked a question on the forum by e-mail explicitly not by "check Alert me". Many of them are just occasional visitors which will seek their answers elsewhere if they have found them and don't bother about leaving the feedback here on the technet forums.

For example, I'm contributing now for a while with all the knowledge I have on certain topics, I have made it my goal to commit myself more and more to the Microsoft forums and hope to achieve something one day with my contributions. Not being rated while I have contributed with good answer frustrates me even more.

So the problem is not only the moderators who supply their selves with points, it is also the occasional visitor not knowing how to properly respond to an answer / solution and react on the forum!

this is my general impression and I dont have anything against anyone who comes here in order to make a contribution!

Keep us posted, and if helpful please rate! Kind regards

Monday, October 1, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Another one for the books.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/zh/exchangesvrgenerallegacy/thread/614c8b24-f37d-4c7f-ad80-b91227790975

By far, the least helpful post in the entire thread marked as an answer by somebody with the power to do so.

• Edited by Zak Lyles Monday, November 5, 2012 9:31 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 9:30 PM
  • It is a frustration that hes been discussed at all levels and it seems there is no "one size fits all" solution.  Most of these suggestions have been tried in different places at different times and maybe equilibrium is the only thing that will work over time.

One thing for certain, this thread wont go inactive for more than 30 days, nor will it get an answer, and that is a whole other discussion

Cheers

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:11 PM
  • I think that the whole concept is wrong.

First, you have to have only one moderator by forum, and his solely job should be only to check and delete abusive posts. This cannot be done by machine; someone has to check if reported post is really abusive before it gets deleted. Moderators should be paid for that work.

Second, when someone logs in, forum’s engine should remove UI elements from their own post that allows him/her to mark his own post as answer helpful or whatever. No one should be allowed to mark his/her own post anyhow. Furthermore, no one but the original questioner should be allowed to mark as answer any post in his/her thread, because only that person can tell if he/she understood the reply, and was the problem solved. Especially when it comes to beginners who gets cryptic answer from some expert. All other readers should be only allowed to vote as helpful.

Third, you have to set the rule that questioner must rate all replies in his/her thread in two weeks after the reply was posted (let him/her the right to get sick), and that obligation stays active until he/she marks one or more replies as answer or when he/she closes the thread clicking “I resolved issue with totally different approach” button. In order to accomplish this, there should be some UI elements in the footer of every reply, simply few radio buttons: “abusive”, “irrelevant”, “intriguing but not applicable with my level of knowledge”, and finally “answer”. Unrated and rated replies should be colored differently, and original questioner would be obligated to rate only those replies that are directly posted to him/her, not replies that are posted to someone else in his/her thread. If in certain period original questioner fails to rate other people’s effort to provide some help, forum engine should mark him/her as “lazy”, and the next time when he/she asks something, possible answer providers would have the choice to act on his/her question or not to act.

Only adding those rules and UI elements needed, would provide righteous awarding of points, not only to those who are paid to provide help, but also to volunteers. It would raise the quality of answers for one order of magnitude. It would greatly improve reliability of search engine. It would be the benefit for the whole community.

It’s not really hard to accomplish this in some future revision of forums. Actually, the hardest problem is how to incorporate old unrated posts.

However, if Microsoft fails to do something like this… well, I know that too many unanswered question isn’t good marketing picture for some specific product, but hiding bugs instead of warning about them is even worse in long term.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I think there should be as many moderators per forum as it seems necessary. 

In regards to self-proposing, there is a TechNet WiKi article

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4865.whether-or-not-you-should-self-propose-an-answer-in-an-msdn-or-technet-forum.aspx

In my personal opinion, you should never propose your own post even if you're 100% sure it's a solution. However, many respected people have a different opinion on this topic. Say, Ed Price proposes and marks lots of his own responses.

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

It must be that I don’t understand the role of moderators here. Long time ago, back in BBS days (end of 1980’s and 90), the role of the moderator was to delete part or entire post if there were something abusive in it. Even in the political forums, we didn’t have more than one person needed for that job. I don’t say that moderators never took part in discussion, but doing that they didn’t do as moderators, and they stated in their own name.

About self-proposing practice I have to say one very basic thing (sorry for my bad English):

Every one of us IT people back in school had classes in theory of information. First principle in the theory states that every piece of information must have its addressee. “Information in general” does not exist.

To clarify: I may ask the question and get perfectly good and exact answer on Japanese. Not knowing that language, I can see only strange letters, so I cannot be addressee of that answer, thus from my point of view, this is not an answer.

Not being native English speaker, I also have problems with abbreviations. In this particular thread, I needed to reread one post twice to understand that OP stands for original poster.

For you, as expert, it might be enough to hear a short sentence made of few cryptic abbreviation to give you a general idea what to do, but me as a beginner, well I sometimes need little more to get the notion about something that is old practice.

What I’m trying to say is that no one but questioner should make the judgment if he/she understood what someone else said, and that should be arranged not through convention, but through UI of the forum. So, only the questioner should be allowed to mark something as answer.

That’s why I think that someone else has to make the assessment of answer provider’s work, but they have to be made do that.

The questioner must be made rating those replies also through UI of forum. If questioner fails to rate the reply, that person became marked lazy, and far less people would try to help him next time. It’s simple, cruel and efficient. The questioner must show the respect for the time other people spent trying to provide help. That should not be left to the good will of anyone. This is some kind of tech support free of charge. It runs on Microsoft’s servers, and it costs a lot. The least that everyone who asks for help can do and must do, is to rate their helper, so they could have their payments.

After all, Microsoft should not pay anyone for incomplete work, and that happens if people are allowed to evaluate its own work, and mark it as an answer. This way you just have unsatisfied customers, and it’s not good either for the Microsoft or for community.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:12 PM
  • This is a complicated question and I think there never be a consensus. I do agree it's best when the original questioner marks the correct answers. However, not every person does it and it may be unfair to the people who tried to help to not get the recognition they deserved. So, if the moderator marks the answers after, say, 10 days of inactivity in the thread when the answers are clearly the answers, I don't see it as a problem and I actually welcome it. The original poster has the right to unmark these answers if he is not yet satisfied.

The moderators not only handle abusive posts, but they do a lot of other work - merge threads from the same poster when they are posted several times, move threads from wrong forum to another forum, change type of threads when it's a wrong type and do similar work.

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for clarification about moderator’s tasks.

Still don’t you think that some of the better metrics could be performed if questioner is made rate the answers? My opinion is that one who pays the farm of servers which provide service of toll free technical support, has every right to demand that simple action from questioner. You have to click one button after you read the answer you asked for. How hard it is?

Benefits are great: people who are paid for answering will do better job, customers are more happy, and you have better search engine, that provides better answer even before anyone asked one question, so you reduce number of people who has to be paid for answering.

Money you saved that way, you can invest in creating new technologies, and your wheel runs down the path little more secure.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:08 PM
  • FYI, in a few boards in PTT (a Taiwan BBS that's still quite active nowadays, hosted by University of Taiwan) is very heated and currently needs 3-5 BMs.

The bottomline is that for boards that have multiple PMs, the BMs will have weekly/monthly meetings themselves to make their discipline standard "in sync". I guess it's easier when all your BMs are students and above half of the users are graduates, however.

And there's no way to "mark question as answer" there, so they don't have the problem this thread is talking about.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:43 AM
  • @Ivica

In a perfect world I'd agree with most of what you're saying, but unfortunately things don't always work as they should.

• If everyone did what was required, there'd be no need for moderators at all.
    • Some OP's mark a reply (or even several) as "answer" out of gratitude, whether the reply is the answer to their or not. I've even seen some people mark EVERY reply as the "answer".
    • Some posters NEVER come back to "do the right thing" (& there's no way of "forcing" them to do so either).
    • NOBODY gets paid to moderate forums, or even answer questions, it's all done voluntarily.
    • Not everone agrees on what is the "right" thing to do.

Personally, I don't think that ANYONE, moderator, expert, MS employee, even the forum "owner" (which I've seen done) should:

• *immediately* propose their reply as the "answer" (naturally, if you post a reply, you think you're reply is the answer, why the need to immediately "propose" it yourself?).
    • or even worse, *immediately* mark it as the question's "answer" (which I've also unfortunately seen done, & it just seems so heavy-handed to me. It's like that person is saying "my answer goes, no matter what").

I do agree that it "should" be the OP who determines the answer to THEIR question. However, I have no problem with a moderator giving the OP a "nudge" if they haven't come back to mark an answer, or state why the supplied replies didn't help them, or even marking an *obviously correct* reply as the "answer", but ONLY after the thread appears to have been abandoned (meaning the OP didn't respond to the "nudge", & a REASONABLE amount of time has past).

I even don't mind if someone LATER proposes their own reply as the answer (as I've done myself, on occasion), say if someone has proposed either the essentially same reply as I had already supplied, or one I consider to be incorrect. Or even to prompt the OP to mark an "answer" (& I consider mine to be a candidate).

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Monday, November 12, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Yann,

Well said. Couldn't agree more on this.

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Interesting how there's NEVER any reply. I've asked why answers have been marked, when they clearly aren't the correct answer, in a number of posts now, but I get ignored by the MSCS person EVERY time.

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Thank you!

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Yann,

just a correction. 

There are paid Moderators by Microsoft.

The paid Microsoft Moderators in the MSDN forums act currently like you describe it should be (in past it was often worse then you describe and the result are for instance currently useless Answer forums for searching answers on problems).

For the rest I agree with your message.

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi Cor,

Thanks for that clarification. I was basing that comment on the LightSwitch forum where I contribute. A number of times, LightSwitch Team members (Microsoft employees) have stated that their contriubtions were not part of their job, but voluntary, just like those of us in the community, so I guess I just assumed that moderators weren't being paid. I was totally unaware that any Microsoft moderators were paid for moderating forums.

I wonder if the MS contingency staff fall into that category? That would certainly explain the rush to get questions "closed" with an "answer".

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Yann,

The MS contingency staff are paid moderators (mainly meant for help for MSDN subscriptors)

Maybe opens your reply in fact a better solution for a kind of a never ended state for threads which have no proposed answers (closed). Although in the forums I'm active in I see not anymore moderators mark their own replies as answer. 

As Naomi has told us do moderators not get any point anymore for marking their own threads as answer like in past and are those not count as answer.

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34 PM
  • I came here looking for a thread like this.

I'm sick of moderators marking answers that aren't answers. That's not helpful. Why should I even post a question here? Nobody will answer a question with a pseudo-answer.

Searching for answers is pointless too, because those "answers" aren't helpful. I for one will stop using the technet forums and look elsewhere for help. I won't waste my time typing when somebody just replies with "Banana" and that gets marked as answer by an extremely competent moderator. 

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:10 PM
  • EnCey, do you have examples? I think with examples the "real" mods can do better work, than just with a complaint.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:55 AM
  • I probably should not have replied here in the heat of the moment, but well it's true.

Here is a question of mine where I and two other users diagnose an error in great detail. We discovered the source of the problem ourselves (Azure Diagnostics doesn't work on non-english PCs). Then some moderator marked the identification of the problem as answer. Read my last post in the thread and the one before it for a summary.

Sure, people with the same problem that look at the thread will now know what causes the issue. But that's not a solution. There's no workaround. The only thing I know that fixes the problem is re-installing an english version of Windows, but that's not possible right now in my company. 

Perhaps someone out there solved the problem in some way, but will now never check the question since it's already answered. If I'm searching for a solution to a problem and find 10 question, 2 of which are answered, I'll read the answered ones first. If all 10 are answered and the first 3 I read only contain nonsense answers... well I don't have time to read forums for hours, I've got work to do.

The current approach of just randomly answering questions for the sake of marking them as answered doesn't help anyone, not me the person who asked in the first place and not the many other developers looking at the answered thread only to find nothing helpful. 

Another examples is here, where I asked 2 questions and 1 got answered by a community member. We both were interested in the answer to the second question, but oh snap, the question has been marked answered and now it'll rot in the archives. If the thread would have been idle for too long then that'd be okay, but it got closed after a week which is not a long time frame in my opinion. 

I have no other example from my own questions, but you really just have to search for something and find a lot of questions answered in an unsatisfying way.

• Edited by EnCey Monday, November 26, 2012 7:18 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:15 AM
  • EnCey

In that situation, just unmark it (and give it a helpful, if it's some sort of a workaround). That's what I would have done. Sure it's annoying, seeing moderators marking a post as answer.

I did not read through your second link yet.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:47 AM
  • As long as it doesn't end in a mark/unmark war, fine I'll do that from now on.

It still defeats the purpose of the forums in my opinion. Even if I unmark these answers, not everyone does so. If I search for something I end up finding lots of answers that aren't answers. Why should I spend my time here if there's other sites like stackoverflow that promote quality questions rather than 100% answered question, no matter how those questions have been answered? I do come here because I expect that professionals (users and MSFT employees) read the forums and answer questions from time to time, but honestly by now I think I'm better off elsewhere.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:57 AM
  • In my opinion, mods should not mark posts as answer (in other threads), for a minimum of one month of inactivity to the thread. After those 30 days, the mods could ask if the question has been solved yet and wait another week for an answer. If still there's no answer in the thread, but it looks like there's one post getting close to it, the mods could mark it as answer but not earlier than 37 days.

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:38 AM
  • EnCey,

What did you ask in your first Here (you did need help), in my idea is that fulfilled, whatever it was so the first reply was in fact already the answer, if you want another answer, than describe exactly what you want in your original question (and don't create endless follow up questions to explain that).

The second here was answered, but the one who did that told you in a follow up reply of you that he was not aware of your second problem, so in fact also answering those because it seems it was something strange because you did not reply.

Be aware often people have another intent with their question than written. For the forums is only important what is written, not what somebody thinks. In is not a kind of tutorial or software ordering board.

Some think they can ask for the complete code of Visual Studio, but that question will not be fulfilled using the forums, so the answer that is not available is the correct answer. Although the one who asked for that does not agree with it. 

Therefore both answers are in my idea very good market as answer by the moderator and the earlier the better.

Be aware that if you unmark answers without a very good reason and at least describing why, you have a high chance that it was the last question done by in the problems experienced forum members. Also be aware that not 10% of those who ask a question mark those as answer. The often write I will investigate that and never come back. Although it is often an answer like 2 on a question what is 1 + 1

Also be aware that nobody is watching threads older than 24 hours (beside moderators), so your suggestion for longer is complete unrealistic.

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Cor,

In my second question I asked „Where can I find logs or similar to get an understanding of the problem?“ – the problem is not related to the development storage, but rather the Azure worker host (compute emulator or maybe the caching service) [read the full post for context]. 

The marked answer pointed me to logs for the development storage, which has nothing to do with my question. It was helpful though, so I thanked the user and +1ed the post. I then proceeded to ask him if he knew the location of compute emulator logs (the actual question), but he didn't. He also expressed interest in their location (the actual question).

Marking the unrelated answer, as interesting and generally helpful it may be, does not answer my question and does not help me nor any other users reading the thread. 

Thus I cannot agree with you. Yes, the question was answered, but the answer has nothing to do with the question. Just like "Banana" is an answer, but not one that solves my problem.

As to my intent, I provided both a stack trace and a screenshot and tried to describe the error as best as I could, so I think I was as accurate as I could, given that I don't know exactly why the error occurred.

About my first question: I can't follow your argumentation here. The first post was not the answer, the marked answer is one of the last posts in the thread. Did you perhaps read the wrong link? 
    Also, I did not ask "endless follow up questions". The user I talked with in that thread helped me diagnose the problem and we managed to pinpoint its source.

I did ask for a solution though, not the technical flaw of the OS that caused it. 

So my original question is still unanswered and an unrelated answer was marked, even though that answer only identifies a problem and provides no workaround or solution.

Please read both questions more carefully / describe more precisely how those answers are valid answers to my questions. 

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:30 AM
  • I agree that threads can be closed if they were idle for too long. Mods can either reply with "idle for too long" and close the thread or mark an answer that gets close to being an actual answer, that's fine.

I disagree though that any unrelated answer should be marked in such a situation, or that the thread is closed after exactly 7 days, which is too short in my opinion.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:32 AM
  • This was your question on the second one.

Where can I find logs or similar to get an understanding of the problem?

The answer from Gaurav was

You can find development storage logs under "AppData\Local\DevelopmentStorage\Logs" directory for the current user. To enable logging, just change the <LoggingEnabled> element's value to "true" in "DevelopmentStorage.201210.config" file which you can find in "AppData\Local\DevelopmentStorage" folder.

What did you expect as answer?

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:56 AM
  • So if I ask for logs that contain information about why the Azure Worker Host crashed I am only allowed to get one log location as answer?

The development storage logs did not contain any information about the crash. 

Gaurav responded with:

I'm not aware of such logs for compute emulator (but I would be very much interested in finding out).

Why can't the question remain open for some time? Maybe someone would've seen it and replied with "Hi guys, the compute emulator logs can be found here: …", which would have been the actual answer to my question. I don't get why it has to be force-marked after only 7 days.

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:40 PM

• Why can't the question remain open for some time? Maybe someone would've seen it and replied with "Hi guys, the compute emulator logs can be found here: …", which would have been the actual answer to my question. I don't get why it has to be force-marked after only 7 days.

That a thread question is marked as answer does not mean it is closed, so about what are you complaining?

They did stay open more than 7 days, without any extra reply, it are in fact a kind of open multiple question question thread and there are answers in it. So why should those answers stay open longer, others can still add other replies.

These forums are done by volunteers and those like it to see their answers marked, why do they have to wait until it is history? 

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:07 PM
  • EnCey

In that situation, just unmark it (and give it a helpful, if it's some sort of a workaround). That's what I would have done. Sure it's annoying, seeing moderators marking a post as answer.

I did not read through your second link yet.

This is only applicable if you are the owner of the thread.  What about all of the other threads with crappy OP's who give up on the thread never to return, then a mod comes along and marks the post "oh darn tootin, you should probably just get a shotgun and shoot the computer" as an answer?  Obviously that is an exageration, but I have seen posts equally useless marked as answers before.

Like I've said before, I think the only person who should be able to mark a post as an answer should be the original poster.  Moderators should have the option to convert it to a discussion or close the thread if the OP hasn't marked an answer within a certain period of time.  But this game of marking what they think could be(or lead to) the answer, just to give the forums a higher percentage of answered questions, is absolute horse crap.

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Why do I want to wait with marking? Let me ask you this: Do you browse through 10 day old, answered questions and check if you can add any additional information? I don't think so. 

Will you maybe answer 10 day old unanswered questions? More likely.

Long story short: I asked the question, the answer that was marked by a mod was not satisfying. If no other answer would have been posted I'd have accepted the partial answer given. Now that the thread was force-marked there won't be any more answers. If not marked after so short a time frame, there may have been more answers. 

I won't discuss that question anymore with you since our opinions on how and when to mark a partially answered question seem to differ. Discussion is moot anyway since you seem to support the current system no matter what. You completely ignored the first question I used as an example and tried to make it look as if both question were answered in a satisfying way. While the second one was at least partially answered, the first one wasn't at all. Let's focus on that one, since that reflects more closely the topic of this thread.

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:51 PM
  •  Let's focus on that one, since that reflects more closely the topic of this thread.

Yes I do, and that is about moderators who make themselves a reply and mark those as answers, that is in no way a fact in your case.

The way like it is told in the topic I also by me disliked.

So keep it to the topic and don't hack another thread for your ideas.

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Here is what I don't understand (I unmarked this answer)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/thread/d438a62c-55ef-45ca-b560-f27673990596/#6610a239-dca1-4eeb-84b7-43cc9f561fee

How come a question: "Still an issue" will be marked as an answer? If the thread doesn't have answers, it means that nobody knowns / cares about the answer. But I do not understand how the question of "Are you still having an issue?" 5 years later should be marked as an answer.

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:07 PM

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/thread/d438a62c-55ef-45ca-b560-f27673990596/#6610a239-dca1-4eeb-84b7-43cc9f561fee

How come a question: "Still an issue" will be marked as an answer? If the thread doesn't have answers, it means that nobody knowns / cares about the answer. But I do not understand how the question of "Are you still having an issue?" 5 years later should be marked as an answer.

My blog

Naomi, 

Those are the worst (in the context of the original question and not off subject replies on that).

Luckily I see currently some MSFT moderators who simply change those questions to Discussion. What is in fact for me the best name of the state of such an thread. You know that MSFT's Moderators must check for unanswered question and otherwise it becomes for them an impossible job.

Success
    Cor

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:48 PM
  • I would leave such questions as questions without an answer. It may help to have such an internal flag, so these threads can be filtered, but IMHO, they should not be changed into discussion either (although I've seen this also).

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:58 PM

My blog

Hi Naomi, I have noticed this in several posts but didn't speak up as I didn't want to offend anybody. Here is one example, if you read the post that is marked "answered", you'll see that it is actually not what the original poster has asked. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatamining/thread/f8ced0be-9c9c-4a72-8b46-b672a08ab028/

Shahfaisal Muhammed http://shahfaisalmuhammed.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:09 PM
  • I agree, in this case your answer was a better fit for the question.

My blog

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:21 PM

My blog

Naomi,

Do you have an answer?

Please don't unmark an answer unless you have a better one to provide.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

So an answer can't be unmarked for being off topic, or not an answer at all? 

What is the point having community Moderators then?

Josh Ash

Friday, November 30, 2012 11:07 AM
  • "Naomi, Do you have an answer? Please don't unmark an answer unless you have a better one to provide"

@Ed - I'm sorry Ed, but I don't agree with you here. I think Naomi did the correct thing in unmarking an answer she knew not to be correct. You don't have to know the answer, or even have a better one, to know that a reply didn't answer the question asked. "Are you still having an issue?" is NOT an answer, & should not be marked as such just to close the question. This kind of thing is happening far too often, in far too many forums, & people are starting to question the validity of these forums due to things like this being marked as an answer.

@Josh - I agree with what you're saying.

"I would leave such questions as questions without an answer"

@Naomi - I agree with you here as well.

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Hi Zak Lyles

SomeHow did I know a piece of information about this "Marking Answers" from Microsoft and it's said that there's SOME RULES FOR  Microsoft Employees as well as vendors that they MUST mark an un-replied issue WITHIN 6 days.

And their manager will sometime to check the mark report randomly.——That's the CORE reason why they always mark answers without replying again and again……

:)

Monday, December 24, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Here is another thread-  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/c79f3708-5b89-4014-b1d7-5e58145e7b23/

This is really discouraging, I am already almost inactive in most of the forums I was active in.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:28 PM
  • In this case I think I can understand why the moderator don't mark your answer as answer.

[quote user="czark"]This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit oracle client components installed[/quote]

[quote user="Shahfaisal"]Please install 32 bit Oracle client and see if that resolves the issue.[/quote]

See? While I agree BadImageFormatExcepton is thrown when 32-bit application attempts to run a 64-bit component, your reply tells what exactly the user mentioned he's been done. So even if I'm moderator viewing that thread, I'd also not mark your reply as answer.

Not marking replies that tell the asker do exactly what he/she said he/she have done is a right decision IMO. I'm not sure why he mark Charlie's reply as answer though.

Btw, in that question, I'm willing to bet the reason why the exception is thrown in the following order:
    1) Bad install media / network problem cause some component source corrupted.
    2) Bad registry registration ignores path redirection on 32-bit component's component path, causing wrong version (64-bit) of component to be attempted to load. I've seen a few such cause, but since Oracle is a big company, I think they're less likely to let this kind of configuration error slip through. So I'm placing it on second position to test.

• Edited by cheong00 Friday, January 25, 2013 2:14 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 2:04 AM
  • In this case I think I can understand why the moderator don't mark your answer as answer.

Btw, in that question, I'm willing to bet the reason why the exception is thrown in the following order:

1) Bad install media / network problem cause some component source corrupted.
    2) Bad registry registration ignores path redirection on 32-bit component's component path, causing wrong version (64-bit) of component to be attempted to load. I've seen a few such cause, but since Oracle is a big company, I think they're less likely to let this kind of configuration error slip through. So I'm placing it on second position to test.

The point that you have missed here is that the error is misleading. As you can read it in the original poster's thread, he already has 64 bit client installed and yet the error is complaining that it occurs when 32 bit client is installed leaving the user puzzled - I have witnessed this quite a few times. Read this thread - https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=10556255

I don't really think it has to do with registry or anything to do with installation media. I have extracted data from Oracle into an SSRS report over a dozen times and in all the cases I encountered this error, it had to do with 64 bit client installed.

I suggest you to post your technical suggestion in the thread I pointed in the previous replay as nobody is going to visit this thread for the issue we are discussing.

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:08 AM
  • The thread you linked to suggested that my second guess is only correct in the sense it's "wrong path" problem. The real solution would have been to remove reference of OracleClient from project and add back the correct one.

Btw, I'm not going to post reply on that thread because I don't know enough to solve a OracleClient problem, just have an idea on why your post is not marked as answer.

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:29 AM
  • The thread you linked to suggested that my second guess is only correct in the sense it's "wrong path" problem. The real solution would have been to remove reference of OracleClient from project and add back the correct one.

Btw, I'm not going to post reply on that thread because I don't know enough to solve a OracleClient problem, just have an idea on why your post is not marked as answer.

You missed what the original poster said while confirming his issue is resolved

I installed the 32 bit version of Oracle and that error message went away. Looks like the error message is not entirely accurate. It should state "32 bit mode with the 64 bit Oracle client installed".

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:32 AM
  • But the original poster in the question (I mean cazrvk) stated that he had installed 32-bit component and not work, so obviously it's not the same case and that part of solution does not apply in this question.

Please try to rule out what the asker has explicitly said "had done but don't help" later when answering. Suggestion of repeating what the asker had tried is not considered helpful.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:42 AM
  • You keep missing the point.  Below is what cazrvk has said. Now, tell me where he said he installed 32 bit. He instead said he installed 64 bit(the first line and the last but one line) which you don't seem to see. PLEASE, read it carefully. You might be confused about the message "Attempt to load Oracle.........with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed". That is the error message.

I just installed 64 bit 2008R2 and have Oracle win64_11gR2_client
    When I opened Visual Studio to create a new report, in the report wizard
    I am selecting the Oracle datasource and gave the oracle server name and login details.
    when I tired testing the connection, the connection is giving me an error message like :

Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit oracle client components installed.

Both the components are 64 bit wonder why i still get this error. Also i created an environment variable with name 'TNS_ADMIN' with value pointing to the TNS ORA file location but still no luck. Please help me with your suggestions, Thanks.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Okay, I can see that I've misread the error message as poster's comment now. You've got the point.

Like I said before, I'm not familiar with ODAC hence is not qualified to answer this type of question.

Maybe you should also point this out when you criticize moderator's decision of not marking your reply as answer.

• Edited by cheong00 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:14 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Shahfaisal Muhammed and cheong00,

This is not a tribunal ! I hope everyone understands that, this is general discussion on Marking/Unmarking answers.

Please do not spam this thread just taking one instance, it's good that, you have referred a thread wherein you did find some discrepancies however, don't drag that so much, the original thread would loose it's importance.

Please create your own threads and fight for justice ! Hope that makes sense.

Thanks !

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:19 AM
  • You are equally spamming this thread. I see that you are not the original poster of this thread and nether are you a moderator, so relax ;)
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Shahfaisal gives example that moderators approves another moderator's answer over his, despite both answers are similar and he post the answer earlier. I originally think this is incorrect example because there's obvious flaw in his reply, but he successfully proved it to me that he has a point and his rant about unfair "marking as answer by Mod" is valid.

I don't think it's irrelevent discussion, as this part of discussion also shows how a Moderator who has to monitor hundreds of threads per day can have "seems to be unfair" preference of marking answers. (I'm not a Moderator but will take similar choice in marking answer for reason given in previous posts)

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Sam1980 !!!

Congratulations, you also contributed to one more SPAM post on this thread :D

You are either Shahfaisal Muhammed or cheong00 or their well wisher I believe. You jumped in so quickly, never mind. I know truth hurts ;-) so relax !!!

I also suspect that, the so called SPAM posts "mine", "yours" and both Shahfaisal Muhammed, cheong00 , might as well get deleted !

Thanks !

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:51 AM
  • Moderators need to be able to mark posts as answered otherwise most posts will simply never be marked answered, even though they have been. I have averaged about 2 hours a day for the past 6 years on the forums answering questions and answered over 80% of the questions for my technology. I end up having to mark the answer for over 90% of the questions in the forums as a lot of users simply don't go back and mark the answer after they have their info.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Me too! I am impressed with the zeal at which moderators almost inexplicably mark replies as answers.  Sometimes they are correct.  Sometimes they are not.  Sometimes a reply is true and adds clarification but at the same time is not THE answer.  It appears that moderators have a mission: "No question goes unanswered."  Do they receive some type of compensation; a bounty perhaps?

REvans

Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I think it's part of the job for MSFT moderators to keep low rate of not-answered questions in their forums. So, they review threads about week old and see where it is easy to figure out which answer was correct.

My blog

Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Me too! I am impressed with the zeal at which moderators almost inexplicably mark replies as answers.  Sometimes they are correct.  Sometimes they are not.  Sometimes a reply is true and adds clarification but at the same time is not THE answer.  It appears that moderators have a mission: "No question goes unanswered."  Do they receive some type of compensation; a bounty perhaps?

REvans

You are good man that you can decide from all marked answers which are good marked and not good marked.

It shows an unnatural experience in all knowledge in the world. 

Some moderators mark everything as answers, but the good one don't. So let us not take the behavior of the bad ones as standard.

Many people simply tell, yes it did what I wanted or words like that,  other questions and answers are so easy that somebody with knowledge in a forum can see if it is well and propose them then as answer. Normally only replies which are proposed as answer are marked as answer by the good moderators. I see the Microsoft moderators often do it in a way, that one proposes (if that is already not done) and the other checks that then and marks. In my idea the right way.

Yea sometimes moderators are not like you. They make mistakes. But I told already, you are good man.

Be aware I'm not a moderator and don't want to be one.

Success
    Cor

Friday, March 8, 2013 2:23 PM
  • I don't find self-proposing as a main issue here. I agree, it might sometimes be annoying. But it became only then a problem, when the forum's design changed and the former information >who< proposed as answer was stripped off!

Those cases of self-proposing are the main reason for restoring the information about who proposed (or marked) as answer.

wizend

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:38 AM
  • I agree, I agree.

My biggest frustration is exactly as Zak states above.  I hate posting a question, then having a moderator or Microsoft staff person give a lame response, then an hour later mark their reply as an answer!  Major reason why is if 'answered' it tells others who may really KNOW the answer not to reply, because they think someone else has solved the problem.

NO person should EVER be able to mark their own reply as an answer... propose as an answer YES, marked? NO.

That should only come from the Original thread poster.

That's analogous of auditing your own financial records.. a conflict of interest!

Thanks all,

John 

Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:44 PM