Applications to perform online backups of my WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Are there any software services out there that can perform automatic backups of my WHS to an online service? (I'm wanting to backup the whole thing - including files backed up from other computers in my home - not just the shares.) I've been looking and most of the information I have found seems 2-3 years old. I know about the built-in backup tool but that seems to focus exclusively on physical media that is then taken off-site, and that won't for for me (I won't remember to do it, I can't afford enough hard drives for a proper rotation, same city might not be good enough when you're in a hurricane-prone area and I don't have a good place to mail the external hard drives, etc.)

I see a bevy of online tools for "standard" windows platforms but nothing specifically for WHS. Some (like Mozy - at least the affordable versions - for example) specifically won't work with WHS.

Thanks!
    P
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    there is not such an application, which is handling backups from the Home Server to the cloud. Maybe you can use the one or other sync tool to synchronize the contents of the shared folders with an Internet based storage. Usable tools would depend from the capabilities offered by the hoster of your webspace and they would have to be able to work locally with shared folders (i.e. to not mess up with tombstones instead of real files).
    But I do not see any realistic chance to do this for the backup database at all. Reason: The most broadband connections have a much reduced upload speed. A single file in the backup database is 4 GB (you can also get some larger files, which are changed daily), so you would not be able to keep this in sync. My own client backups are sized around 900 GByte in total in the console - this amount of storage is still not very common by an Internet provider for small money.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any software services out there that can perform automatic backups of my WHS to an online service? (I'm wanting to backup the whole thing - including files backed up from other computers in my home - not just the shares.) I've been looking and most of the information I have found seems 2-3 years old. I know about the built-in backup tool but that seems to focus exclusively on physical media that is then taken off-site, and that won't for for me (I won't remember to do it, I can't afford enough hard drives for a proper rotation, same city might not be good enough when you're in a hurricane-prone area and I don't have a good place to mail the external hard drives, etc.)

I see a bevy of online tools for "standard" windows platforms but nothing specifically for WHS. Some (like Mozy - at least the affordable versions - for example) specifically won't work with WHS.

Thanks!
    P
    There is (or at least used to be) a WHS add-in for Jungle Disk.  I don't know if Amazon still offers it or not though.  But as Olaf said, backing up everything (especially videos and the backup database) through the internet would take forever and would hit your pocket book pretty hard as well.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    there is not such an application, which is handling backups from the Home Server to the cloud. Maybe you can use the one or other sync tool to synchronize the contents of the shared folders with an Internet based storage. Usable tools would depend from the capabilities offered by the hoster of your webspace and they would have to be able to work locally with shared folders (i.e. to not mess up with tombstones instead of real files).
    But I do not see any realistic chance to do this for the backup database at all. Reason: The most broadband connections have a much reduced upload speed. A single file in the backup database is 4 GB (you can also get some larger files, which are changed daily), so you would not be able to keep this in sync. My own client backups are sized around 900 GByte in total in the console - this amount of storage is still not very common by an Internet provider for small money.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks!
    P
    There is (or at least used to be) a WHS add-in for Jungle Disk.  I don't know if Amazon still offers it or not though.  But as Olaf said, backing up everything (especially videos and the backup database) through the internet would take forever and would hit your pocket book pretty hard as well.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Hello,
    I've been searching the forums  also in search of such an application, and have repetitively read that people are saying its "not possible" to back up large amounts on line. 
    However, what if i'm not interested in backing up "large amounts", only some critical data?  Say about less than 1 GB of contacts, pictures, personal documents.
    Trusting or not of WHS, i do believe it makes sense to have a physically remote backup of really important data.
    Seems like an easy thing to do...said by a non-programmer.FB_Addon_TelNo{ height:15px !important; white-space: nowrap !important; background-color: #0ff0ff;}
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:16 PM