Network Share Backup Troubles RRS feed

• Question

• I am evaluating One Care for use with my home network and the two PCs on it.  One is a regular PC, the other is a laptop.  I have installed OneCare on the PC only a few days ago and am trying to set up the backup function (mainly because it keeps warning me that it isnt set up).  The network is a private NAT that has a server running OpenBSD 4.1 as the network gateway for both IPv4 and IPv6.  I also have Samba running on the server and it has a dedicated drive for shared file storage and I just allocated 100GB for backup space on it.  The shares both work fine, I can connect them from Windows XP as drives, and can browse them on the network.  I am NOT using a domain setup, it is just peer to peer networking.

However, when I try to set up one care to back up to the network share I just created for it,it keeps saying either "There was a problem connecting to the network share" or "Network share not found".  I have tried mapping it to a network drive and telling it to back up to the drive itself.  I have tried using symbolic names for the server and its IP address, ie.  \\192.168.231.1\cbenesch_backup or \\maricopacomputer\cbenesch_backup and nothing seems to work.  It asks me for a user name and password each time, and I provide the same one I use to connect the drives initially.  It hangs for a minutes then comes back with the error.

I guess if I could get a more descriptive message about what the problem is, since I know the computer sees the share, it works fine in Windows Explorer.  Or if there is a way to manage the backup from somwhere else and get OneCare to stop reminding me about it.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi, Chris. Backing up to Network shares n OneCare can be problematic as noted in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2699080&SiteID=2

The best I can offer you is that to use a network Share, OneCare expects that the rights to the Share are set for all users to have full access to the Share. I assume, from your description, that you have already set up the rights for the Share with a specific UserID and password. If these are different from the Windows login ID and Password, try changing the login for the share to match the Windows User information.

You may also want to contact support, though you may end up frustrated going that route as the first level techs don't have much knowledge of network Shares based on other threads here in the forum.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:33 PM