none
hard drives not showing in server storage RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to figure out why I can not see 4 SATA drives in my server storage. I am running Pentium D with 2gbs ram, one drive going into IDE port, one IDE drive converted to SATA, and 4 sata drives. I am using a INTEL 975xbx2 board.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven

Sunday, June 8, 2008 11:24 AM

All replies

• When you added the drives, did you add them to storage pool? If so, you won't 'see' the actual drives as their available space is just added to that pool. Any drives other than the C:/D: drive is just a folder off the C/fs/(x) where (x) is a random number for each drive. This can be seen, if you RDP into the server and use Windows Explorer.

The actual amount of available space will be shown through the Console, Server Storage tab.

If you didn't add them to the storage pool, you will need to, again, RDP into the server and using the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management to allocate a drive letter to the individual drives.

Colin

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:44 PM
  • The drives dont show up in disc management at all. I went into the BIOS and changed SATA from being seen as IDE to AHCI but that still doesnt work.  The drives are getting enough power to work.  Need another option.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Can you see all of the drives in the BIOS?
    If they don't even show there, they won't show up in Disc Management.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:49 PM
  • I can not see all of them in BIOS- I see 2 of the 6 drives and they are the IDE drives- actually 1 is hooked to the IDE port along with the DVD drive and the other drive has IDE to SATA piece on the back so it can hook to a SATA port. The only time I can see the other 4 drives is when betweem the BIOS prompt screen and the Windows load screen. A screen that talks about Maxwell RAID configuration comes up showing the other four drives. I have not enabled any type of RAID configuration in WHS at all.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Sounds like your WHS doesn't have the drivers installed for your "RAID" chipset on the motherboard.

While it claims to be raid, it is probably quite capable of presenting the hard drives individually to the system.

Remote desktop into your WHS machine, and open up Device Manager - you've probably got an unknown device in there - which will be the RAID chipset. If you install the drivers for this (Win 2k3 or possibly WinXP ones) from the CD that contains your motherboard drivers, you should find that the WHS will now be able to see them and add them to the storage pool.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:25 PM