Trouble installing Connector -- what have I left out? RRS feed

• Question

• Installation of WHS went smoothly; installation of the Connector software, not so much.  Here is what I know about the server:

- Fresh install
    - Network connection seems A-OK (can ping it from the router, and anyway Windows Update went smoothly)
    - Latest updates installed
    - On and seems fine

About the laptop I'm installing the Connector on:

- WinXP Pro SP3
    - Used for work and at home; I have Admin privileges
    - Connects to the wireless router just fine
    - Cannot see the WHS server on the network
    (- Am I limited by group privileges set by my employer?  Given that I have Admin privileges on this machine, what can I change in order to connect to machines on my home network?)

The only other device currently on the network is TIVO via wireless, and it works fine.

I ran the WHS Connector Troubleshooter, which said I had a long series of problems (about 15 errors and 2 warnings).  The most fundamental of the problems appears to be that the laptop cannot see the server on the network (Beacon failed, ping failed, name resolution failed, etc).  In fact, I don't get very far at all into Connector installation because it can't see any other machine on the network.

I tried doing a few things recommended by the Troubleshooter -- made sure UPnP was enabled on the router, opened up port 8912 for UDP, opened up Administrator privileges on my laptop for Connector to write (my employer shares Admin privileges on the machine with me) -- but the same errors keep popping up.  Here is what I'm told:

- Beacon discovery failed (turned off laptop firewall, manually opened port 8912 to UDP on router, still I get this error)
    - Ping failed (everything OK, except maybe name resolution?)
    - Name resolution failed (could this be it?  how do I fix?)
    - Cannot connect to various server pages (duh, see above)
    - UPnP discovery failed (thought I checked this already on the router settings)
    - Insufficient access rights on the laptop (already followed the instructions to fix this, but still it pops up)
    - Plus a couple of others that seem less relevant (e.g., mismatch on WHS software versions)

As you can see, I have some limited technical ability, but I am relatively inexperienced with the ins and outs of networking, and that is where the crux of my problem is.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

John
    • Edited by jbaughman Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:10 PM typo in title
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

• Sorry, was writing that next post before I saw this one.  No, I cannot ping it from my laptop.  The only machines on the network are the laptop I'm trying to install Connector on and TIVO (both via wireless) and the WHS server (via cable to the wireless router).

I am able to run ipconfig on the laptop just fine and get its ip address, etc, but as I said in the post that crossed yours, the command gets nothing on the server.

Edited:

Forgot to add (and this should have been in my original post as well): I cannot ping the server from my laptop.

Did you install the NIC driver on your server?  If you look at Device Manager on your server, do you see any exclamation points or question marks?
    • Marked as answer by jbaughman Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:03 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:40 PM

All replies

• Installation of WHS went smoothly; installation of the Connector software, not so much.  Here is what I know about the server:

- Fresh install
    - Network connection seems A-OK (can ping it from the router, and anyway Windows Update went smoothly)
    - Latest updates installed
    - On and seems fine

About the laptop I'm installing the Connector on:

- WinXP Pro SP3
    - Used for work and at home; I have Admin privileges
    - Connects to the wireless router just fine
    - Cannot see the WHS server on the network
    (- Am I limited by group privileges set by my employer?  Given that I have Admin privileges on this machine, what can I change in order to connect to machines on my home network?)

The only other device currently on the network is TIVO via wireless, and it works fine.

I ran the WHS Connector Troubleshooter, which said I had a long series of problems (about 15 errors and 2 warnings).  The most fundamental of the problems appears to be that the laptop cannot see the server on the network (Beacon failed, ping failed, name resolution failed, etc).  In fact, I don't get very far at all into Connector installation because it can't see any other machine on the network.

I tried doing a few things recommended by the Troubleshooter -- made sure UPnP was enabled on the router, opened up port 8912 for UDP, opened up Administrator privileges on my laptop for Connector to write (my employer shares Admin privileges on the machine with me) -- but the same errors keep popping up.  Here is what I'm told:

- Beacon discovery failed (turned off laptop firewall, manually opened port 8912 to UDP on router, still I get this error)
    - Ping failed (everything OK, except maybe name resolution?)
    - Name resolution failed (could this be it?  how do I fix?)
    - Cannot connect to various server pages (duh, see above)
    - UPnP discovery failed (thought I checked this already on the router settings)
    - Insufficient access rights on the laptop (already followed the instructions to fix this, but still it pops up)
    - Plus a couple of others that seem less relevant (e.g., mismatch on WHS software versions)

As you can see, I have some limited technical ability, but I am relatively inexperienced with the ins and outs of networking, and that is where the crux of my problem is.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

John

Are you able to successfully ping your server from your laptop, both by name and by IP address?  Do you have another computer in your LAN?  If so, can it see your server?  Can you run ipconfig /all on your laptop, your server, and another computer that works (if you have one), and post the results here?
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:21 PM
  • After further exploration, I may have narrowed down the problem.  Taking advice from another forum post, I checked the IP address of my WHS server.  From the command prompt, I entered "ipconfig /all" and it showed no IP address assigned to the machine.  Is this the crux of my problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks again!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Sorry, was writing that next post before I saw this one.  No, I cannot ping it from my laptop.  The only machines on the network are the laptop I'm trying to install Connector on and TIVO (both via wireless) and the WHS server (via cable to the wireless router).

I am able to run ipconfig on the laptop just fine and get its ip address, etc, but as I said in the post that crossed yours, the command gets nothing on the server.

Edited:

Forgot to add (and this should have been in my original post as well): I cannot ping the server from my laptop.
    • Edited by jbaughman Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:35 PM added last sentence
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:33 PM

Edited:

Did you install the NIC driver on your server?  If you look at Device Manager on your server, do you see any exclamation points or question marks?
    • Marked as answer by jbaughman Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:03 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:40 PM
  • There is a question mark/exclamation mark combo, in fact, on my Ethernet Controller.  I find this surprising since I was able to ping the server from my router, but there it is.

I found what appear to be the correct drivers on the hardware's CDROM using the wizard, and they appear to have installed correctly (no more question mark or exclamation mark).

So far so good... what do you recommend next?
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:55 PM
  • There is a question mark/exclamation mark combo, in fact, on my Ethernet Controller.  I find this surprising since I was able to ping the server from my router, but there it is.

I found what appear to be the correct drivers on the hardware's CDROM using the wizard, and they appear to have installed correctly (no more question mark or exclamation mark).

So far so good... what do you recommend next?

Reboot the server, then try pinging it again (both by name and by IP address).  If it works, then you should be good to go!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Indeed, that did the trick.  Thanks very much!
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:03 PM