New WHS 2011 deployment issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of deploying a new WHS2011 Lacie box.  I've got the box configured and I successfully "connected" a few devices to the box without any trouble.  While performing the first backup of my primary home office computer, the backup has been showing 1% complete for hours.  I've stopped and restarted a few times, but it has never gotten any further than 1% complete.  It hasn't failed or come to a stop.  It just seems to hang at the 1% complete stage for way too long.  Am I too impatient???  Should it take more than 10 hours to get past 1% complete???

THe server updates are all installed, the client machine is an i7/windows 7 machine that is updated.  The router I'm using appears to be operating fine.  I've rebooted both machines more than once.  I've checked drivers on the client machines NIC.  I just don't see ANY reason why this backup does not want to run.  The only client machine related Alert I'm seeing in the server console is StdSolHD!WualaNot Running.  Could this be an issue???

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

• It depends how much data you are backing up. The first backup does take a long time and subsequent ones are much quicker. As a test, set it to just back up the OS without lots of data and see how that goes.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:26 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:11 PM
  • 300GB, wow, it's really a long-time job. I hope everything is fine in the end. Please feel free to post back the result.

BTW, the backup informaiton will be recorded in the Event Viewer, you could find something useful there no matter what is done or not.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:04 AM
  • That is far too slow - I don't suppose you are using a wireless connection?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:14 PM

All replies

• It depends how much data you are backing up. The first backup does take a long time and subsequent ones are much quicker. As a test, set it to just back up the OS without lots of data and see how that goes.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Thanks Phil.  I forgot to mention that the size of the total backup is in the 300gb neighborhood.  After running about 10 hours today, I came home from work to find that the backup is at 4%.  This makes me very happy.  Apparently I was just being a little inpatient with the process.  At this rate though, it'll be 250 hours for the entire backup to complete!  I hope the backup rate increases a little as it goes.  Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:29 PM
  • 300GB, wow, it's really a long-time job. I hope everything is fine in the end. Please feel free to post back the result.

BTW, the backup informaiton will be recorded in the Event Viewer, you could find something useful there no matter what is done or not.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:04 AM
  • That is far too slow - I don't suppose you are using a wireless connection?

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:14 PM