Unable to move Movie shared folder after hard drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• On my WHS machine, I had my Movies shared folder on a separate drive, drive D.  I had a motherboard failure and had to swap to a newer model.  All went well with my recovery except my Movies folder in now on a different drive letter.  There is nothing on my system on the old drive D.  Through the console, the status of the old Movies folder is unknown.  My new Movies folder is on drive E.  I am unable to do anything with the original Movies folder (delete, move. etc) and it obviously is unable to locate it where it used to be.  When I try to designate my new Movies location, I get an error that that Movies is already taken.  If I try to move the Movies folder, it tells me it's unable to do anything with that drive.

How can I get rid of the old movies location and point it to the new location?  I don't see any options through the console.   Any help will be appreciated.

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:50 AM

Answers

• Can you give us detailed error message? Can you remove the folder in Dashboard and recreate it? Or you can create a new folder and link to the Movies folder on drive E with a different name in the dashboard.

Also, have you tried to take ownership of the original drive? This issue may also relate to permission setting.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 9, 2012 7:09 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:45 AM

All replies

• Can you give us detailed error message? Can you remove the folder in Dashboard and recreate it? Or you can create a new folder and link to the Movies folder on drive E with a different name in the dashboard.

Also, have you tried to take ownership of the original drive? This issue may also relate to permission setting.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, July 9, 2012 7:09 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Sean! 

The detailed error message is: "\\WHS2011\Videos is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The device is not ready."

I cannot remove the folder in the Dashboard. If I right click on the folder. I only get Open, Move the Folder, and Properties. When I select Open, I get the message listed above. When I try to Move it, I get the message below. When I go to Properties, It shows the drive location and no options with only a General tab and no Sharing tab so I can't make any ownership changes. If I click on Open this Folder from within properties, I get the same message as above for Open a folder. 

When I try to move the folder I get the following: Cannot move the folder. The server cannot get the information it needs to move the folder. Try restarting the server. If the problem persists, view the Support Information to help resolve this issue.

The drive and path essentially don't exist any more. However, I am unable to delete, move, change permissions or anything else to the old drive d: and folders.  

I want to delete the old videos folder and point the system to the new one, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this... 

Thanks for your help!

cacloss

Monday, July 9, 2012 2:47 PM