SyncToy functionality on large amounts of files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am trying to sync two whole disks (about 350GB) and SyncToy regularly stops working. This happens on both preview and the actual run.

Total processed operations where 1320 which is not that much, but...

Has anyone actually used the program for that use with success that is?)

I am running on Vista 64 with 4GB, both disks are external drives (src USB, tgt eSata).

Is there a debug option? Anything i can do to provide additional information?

Thanks,
    regards,
    Thomas
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas, we have heard examples of folks syncing large amounts of data with synctoy without any issues. Which version of SyncToy are you using? Also, how many files in total do you have? When you say it "stops working" - what actually happens?

Thanks

Ashish Shah

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:08 PM
    Answerer
  • I use SyncToy to backup about 900G of photographs.  It's a scheduled task that runs every 2 hours.  When I was testing it manually, I noticed that the process pauses for quite some time more than once during the "creating actions" bit (and possible the investigation bit - but I can't be sure).  However, left alone, it continues to completion.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:55 AM
  • I am also having problems. Moved to SyncToy 2.0 a couple of days ago. Syncing a directory with thousands of small files and it keeps freezing halfway thru. Task Manager says nothing is not responding and ST is consuming 49 - 50 % of CPU. but nothing is happening - been stuck on the same few KB file for an hour now!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:54 PM
  • UPDATE: It never actually crashes and does eventually carry on (but it seems opening Task Manager or other Windoes actions may 'nudge' it) but once it restarts it is sloooooow. It is quicker to stop, restart again - 'cos when it restarts it seems to operate somewhat faster - for a while. Rinse, repeat!  ;-)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:24 PM