Forgot administrator password vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

Forgor adminst password?    Please help!
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:29 AM

All replies

• College kids has gotten lap tops and I decided to hook up their computers but for some reason they have forgotten the administrator password to the computers... They were originally set up as Windows XP Professional... My computer is the home edition.  I tried to figure out what their passwords could be and can't, they cannot remember, they have the disks somewhere in all their boxed up school junk... I was trying to use my disk to reload it and it still will not go pass the password area... there has to be a easy solution... HELP...

Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:34 PM
  • ON A PC THERE IS PROBLEM WITH THE LOGON AS ADMINISTRATOR

Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I have also locked myself out.  I set up an admin account for our 12 years old's computer~safe with parental controls.  Now it's time to make changes and I can't log in!  I can restore because I don't have the password.  It came pre loaded with Vista so I don't even know how to reinstall without a disc.

Any help?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Windows XP Home or Pro

1st Step:

For Windows XP Home or Pro start system in Safemode and login to System admin user and change the password.

2nd Step:

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Follow the below mentioned steps to reset the administrator password or any other user account password in Windows Vista.

Step#1: Boot into WinRE using the Vista DVD.

Step#2: Click Command Prompt

Step#3: Now type

net user <user account> *

Press Enter

Step#4: It will ask for a new password - Enter the new password

Press Enter

Step#5: It will then ask to confirm the password - Confirm the new password

Press Enter

This will reset the user password..

For example: If Customer forget the administrator password go to WinRE in Command prompt and type: net user Administrator *

Then press enter to enter the new password for the account.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:10 AM
  • I typed, net user administrator *

then entered a new password.  I couldn't use "administrator" only the name I created for myself as an admin.  When I typed net use "account name" * (without " ") it would not re-set it.  I'm still stuck.  Like I said, I can't even restore without a password.  Maybe do what a dreaded~format the HD and re-install?  I don't know what I'm missing.

Monday, November 24, 2008 2:55 AM
  •  

Type   net user administrator *        <Press Enter>  

now you will be prompted for a password, provide it then. 

If the password you want to set is SuperFish123

Do not type net user administrator * SuperFish123        <Press Enter>  

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:13 AM
  •  

I did not type out the whole thing (including the new password).  I typed only net user administrator* hit enter but AM NOT PROVIDED a prompt for a NEW PASSWORD.  That's the problem.  I've realized a stick of dynomite or reformat is my only choice left.  UUUGGG.

Thanks for the help

Friday, December 5, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Google OPHCRACK.  It's a linux boot system that can scan the drive and decrypt all but the most heinous passwords - used it on my Vista op system this morning.  Like many of you I forgot the admin password - no drive wipe required

Download Ophcrack to desktop (can take awhile my connection was 1.5 hours)

Create CD of ISO file - My Toshiba has an image file creation software preloaded. (else download Free Image File Creator)

Change Boot Selection to CD/DVD RW  Boot from Disk (F2, BOOT, F5/F6)

Select option 2 (VESA) - wait awhile........................................................................(10 minutes or so)

Voila!  Password revealed.  Life is restored to it's former simplicity - all swearing and gnashing of teeth can be forgotten, sleep patterns can be restored. 

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:00 PM
  • I tried the OPHCRACK right away and well, it got my other 2 user passwords but not the admin!  So much for all that work!  It was alot of work, hopeful, but alot of work and time.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:12 PM