The Windows Vista Home Premium Product Key is invalid for activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I bought my Medion PC about a year ago and it came with Vista preinstalled. Yesterday when i turned it on i was shown the above error message on a black background, with three options - 1. Access your computer with reduced functionality 2. Enter different product key 3. Contact Medion AG to help resolve this problem.
    These are my only options, i have no access to deskstop, or start key etc. I have reentered my product key numerous times and also reentered a new product key given to me by microsoft customer support on the telephone but neither was accepted and i received the following error message with both product keys: Code 0xc004f050 . The people on the microsoft customer support number could not help me any more and refered me to Medion, who referred me back to microsoft! 

I have not performed any updates to Vista or uninstalled any drivers etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have an important deadline looming,

thanks very much,

Graham
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:24 PM Moved to relevant forum (From:Install, Upgrade, and Activate)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

•  My computer came with a couple of Vista Recovery Discs, if i reinstall from these will i loose all of my programmes and files, or is there anyway for me to backup without having access to windows?

Yes, it will overwrite what is currently on the Hard Drive. 

I recommend that you first try logging into Windows in Safe Mode.  Others in situations similare to this have sometimes had problems logging into Safe Mode, but if you can, use it to offload all your importent files.  Then you can do the Recovery.

I am very sorry I didn't see your post before you tried those steps.  I can't be sure that the outcome would have been any better, but I would hope I could have help you avoid having to reinstall.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• the plot thickens...

I Tried the following technique as found elsewhere on this site:

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Vista may require you to enter a Product Key (use the COA SLP key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

I followed the instructions as far 10 but when i restarted the computer a screen appears saying that i 'must reinstall windows' to activate, and i have access to none of the three options i had earlier. My computer came with a couple of Vista Recovery Discs, if i reinstall from these will i loose all of my programmes and files, or is there anyway for me to backup without having access to windows?

Thanks very much 

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:22 PM
  •  My computer came with a couple of Vista Recovery Discs, if i reinstall from these will i loose all of my programmes and files, or is there anyway for me to backup without having access to windows?

Yes, it will overwrite what is currently on the Hard Drive. 

I recommend that you first try logging into Windows in Safe Mode.  Others in situations similare to this have sometimes had problems logging into Safe Mode, but if you can, use it to offload all your importent files.  Then you can do the Recovery.

I am very sorry I didn't see your post before you tried those steps.  I can't be sure that the outcome would have been any better, but I would hope I could have help you avoid having to reinstall.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:50 PM