LIVE ONE CARE. HOW MANY OF YOU RENEWED AND SUBSCRIPTION IS STILL EXPIRED RRS feed

• General discussion

• I renewed my subscription to LIVE ONE CARE ANTIVIRUS twice and paid twice.  Once in November and again in January.  My subscription still shows expired and that I am not protected.  It does seem to sort of protect but will not let me update protection.  I spent 3 hours on my cell phone with customer support in just one night.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the program which did not correct any of the problems.  Everytime my computer starts up I get the renewal screen that states that my subscription is expired.  Live One billing says that I am paid and should be covered until December of 2009.  Seriously, I will not get reimbursed for the cell phone minutes, I will not get my money back if I cancel the subscription, and I will not get reimbursed for a new computer if the one that is suppose to be protected really isn't.  You would think Microsoft could do a better job. 
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:27 PM

All replies

• Yes Same problem. Worked when it was free and I haven't been able to get it going after I paid!!!! UNFAIR!!!Spent hrs trying to fix it. Only program I've ever trusted to pay for. REALLY DISAPPOINTING. NO HELP ecept mumbo jumbo I don't understand. If I was a technical guru I probably woul't need it.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:01 AM
  • Hello Aletab, open One Care, select "Subscribe" and when asked for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password used to purchase your subscription and One Care will activate.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:57 AM
  • Hello Louise, check to see that your computer date and time are set correctly. If the date or time was incorrect setting them correctly should resolve the issue. If your date and time is correct go to billing.microsoft.com, sign in using the Live ID and password asociated with your subscriptionand verify your subscription is active. If your subscription is active uninstall One Care, run the install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 then install the One Care trial - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/install.htm After installation open One Care, select "Subscribe" and when asked for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password used to verify your account status at billing.microsoft.com and One Care will activate and should show your correct subscription expiration date.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:08 AM
  •  

If your subscription to OneCare shows incorrect or expired in OneCare

• Check your PC date and time.
    • Check your subscription status by logging in with your subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com
    • Confirm that this is the same LiveID shown to be the Subscription ID in OneCare - Help/About…
    • Open OneCare and click "Check for Updates" to have OneCare check for updated credentials

If your subscription is correctly shown at the Billing site, but incorrect in OneCare and your PC date and time are correct, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Aha!!  It seems I am not alone.  This is the exact same scenario I am currently experiencing.  Please do tell if you've resolved the problem - if you have you should write the manual for the rest of us apparent "plebs" - well done to anyone who has managed this!
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Aha!!  It seems I am not alone.  This is the exact same scenario I am currently experiencing.  Please do tell if you've resolved the problem - if you have you should write the manual for the rest of us apparent "plebs" - well done to anyone who has managed this!

Did you read my post directly above yours? it explains what to check and how to resolve the problem - by contacting support, if needed.
    -steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    I have been through what you have suggested. The only issue that maybe a problem with the clean up is that nobody seems to know what my user name and password was with the original subscription.  I have talked to billing, I have checked the date on my computer, I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneCare.  What I find most humorous is when talking with customer service I was the only one that was having this problem.  They had never heard of it before. :) I will run the install cleanup tool. I will not call customer service.  In the original entry I stated that I spent 3 hours on my cell phone on a call with them.  They were moderately helpful but still no resolution to this problem.  I cannot afford to spend another 3 hours uninstalling and reinstalling, sitting on hold waiting for billing to confirm the subscription and going through the same things as the time before.  Each time it is the same thing. It is just a very sad situation.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Let me see what I can find out, Louise. Since you have a credit card on file and a Billing account, there is no reason why OneCare on the PC is not updating the credentials unless there is a profile problem or something blocking this on the PC side.
    Did you also sign in with your subscription LiveID at https://billing.microsoft.com to confirm the subscription status?
    -steve
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Since it's likely most of these issues relate to the .NET installation on the local PC, I wonder if this simple test will reflect that .NET 2.0 is installed on these PCs.  It's very simple to test, though the pop-up window results can't be cut and pasted, so you'll have to verify visually against my example below.  You may open a separate Internet Explorer window so you can switch easily between them.

To test, just cut and paste the following short text segment into an Internet Explorer address bar (where the 'http://.... usually goes):

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

The result should look something like this, though some portions may be different, the '.Net 2.0 (CLR 2.0.50727)' is what matters:

(MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1) has installed .Net 2.0 (.Net CLR 2.0.50727), .Net 3.0 (.Net CLR 3.0.04506.2152) .Net 3.5 framework (.Net CLR 3.5.30729)

The punctuation and format might be slightly diffferent, but it's the .Net 2.0 we want to see.  Is it there?  Is it this same version number exactly (2.0.50727) or something different?  Are either or both of the other .Net 3.0 or 3.5 versions there also?

This may not confirm that .Net 2.0 is working completely, but it will tell us if it's even seen as installed by the operating system through Internet Explorer.  If it's not, that's definitely a problem since this is required for the connection to the OneCare servers.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Louise, I am following up with piperj50 via email and am waiting for word from Microsoft on next steps.
    If you could email me at sboots@mvps.org using "OneCare" in the subject line and paste this link in the message body:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/82f29b7c-662c-4682-b0ab-ef277d08accd
    that would be great.

Please let me know the support case numbers that you have and also the LiveID (do not provide the password or any other information about the account!) for your subscription.

Since you paid twice, please let me know when payments were made (actual dates) and confirm that these were both made for the same LiveID/subscription.
    Please confirm the status of your account at https://billing.microsoft.com and let me know if the subscription ID and expiration dates are shown when you open OneCare on your PC and click Help/About.

In OneCare, click Check for Updates and let me know what happens, if anything.

And, finally, was the initial payment in November for a new subscription or a renewal? Have you done a reinstall? What steps were performed with support during your marathon call?

Thanks.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:22 PM
  • I don't think it is .Net, OneCareBear, since the typical symptoms of a .Net issue are that OneCare will not open. The program could be in any status, red, yellow or green, but any attempt at opening the program interface results in a error.
    This problem sounds like either an account issue on the Billing side or a problem with the credentials being sent to the PC - either they are corrupt or being blocked in some manner.
    If OneCare is not updating *and* is prompting for renewal, after 10 days of no updates to the definitions, it would start alerting that virus protection was out of date. The renewal prompts are the odd part here. Typically this would mean that the PC date and time are wrong or communication with the back end servers has not occurred.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:26 PM