none
I now own 2 HP WHS; Options? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have an older HP 47x unit that is topped out with 1Tb drives.  I purchased a newer HP 49x unit with 1.5tb + 2Tb.   I am removing the older unit so I can get the newer unit operational but later I wanted to get the Old unit 'refreshed' due to OS errors it has and put it back to work somewhere in my network.  Any suggestion or comments on this?  I understand that running two units of the same network is functional and accessing a single one at a time is the norm and only one will have Remote Access to the real world w/o making changes in the router port forwarding.

I just would like to see if there is some function I can dedicate it to that would free up my other newer WHS.  I have been working on a Home Theater configuration of my plain TV/Sterio.

I am looking for suggestion of what to do with this old server other than give it to my son who lives in another part of the house with his family ( the problem with that is he and I are looking to connecting his network to mine anyway so we can have a single internet inbound/outbound point.

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:41 PM not a technical question
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

• Sell it and buy a DAS, keep the old drives and use it to populate the DAS.  With two households the extra drive storage will be handy.
    --
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I can recommend the Mediasonic 'ProBox' HF2-SU2S2.  The HP 49x eSata port is port multiplier capable, so all four drives are recognized with eSata. I have two ProBoxes connected to my homebuilt WHS with a Silicon Image 3124  2 internal Sata/2 external eSata PCI card on an Gigabyte Atom D510 board.  One has its drives added to the storage pool, the other is for server backup.  The small size makes it extremely easy to move off site after the weekly backup is completed.

More info is available at

There is also a USB 3 version available.

Note:  I did not buy my two from the above vendor.  The links are for reference only and in no way imply endorsement of the vendor.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have an older HP 47x unit that is topped out with 1Tb drives.  I purchased a newer HP 49x unit with 1.5tb + 2Tb.   I am removing the older unit so I can get the newer unit operational but later I wanted to get the Old unit 'refreshed' due to OS errors it has and put it back to work somewhere in my network.  Any suggestion or comments on this?  I understand that running two units of the same network is functional and accessing a single one at a time is the norm and only one will have Remote Access to the real world w/o making changes in the router port forwarding.

I just would like to see if there is some function I can dedicate it to that would free up my other newer WHS.  I have been working on a Home Theater configuration of my plain TV/Sterio.

I am looking for suggestion of what to do with this old server other than give it to my son who lives in another part of the house with his family ( the problem with that is he and I are looking to connecting his network to mine anyway so we can have a single internet inbound/outbound point.

BullDawg
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 7:53 AM