Group Conferencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have Office Communications server 2007 deployed in our network of Active Directory domain. We have Office Communicator 2007 clients deployed on every PC in our network. Our Director (CEO) in another location wants to have conference calls with every user in our office from their individual seats. Atleast with about 5 to 10 Participants at a time.
    If possible both Audio & Video call , if not atleast an audio call so that our president discuss about trainings and knowledge sharing among the staff. Our director usually takes this call from home or sometimes from office in a different location.

We can arrange webcam and headphones on individual desks to all the participants.
    Our President wants good reliability during the calls.

Currently, we are using Office Communicator 2007 clients using manual login with in our office. We have not set it to Automatic Configuration. I have to work on DNS records for this automatic configuration.

What factors are involved in setting up the above scenario.

Please guide me on how to go about ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Sanjay

Sanju
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Sanjay,

That's a big question :-) If you haven't already, then have a good look through the great TechNet documentation at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd250572(office.13).aspx

I would certainly go ahead and create the SRV records you need for automatic logon - that'll make life easier for you anyway, but if you have an OCS 2007 server now, you have the ability to do A/V conferencing on your network right now, right?

If so, then it sounds like (and I'm making a bunch of assumptions on your network setup and requirements) adding an Edge server to your deployment, along with an ISA server to publish the web components of the OCS server, should allow you to achieve what you want to do - the Edge server deployment guide can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441282(office.13).aspx. There will be some work regarding setting up external DNS (again SRV records are recommended, but Communicator falls back to a list of likely names such as sip.<domain.com> so you can get it working one way or another), certificates (you may need to get some public UC certs unless the boss' home machine has the root cert chain installed - see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929395/EN-US/ and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425344(office.13).aspx and networking, but it's not too difficult by any means if all the conferences are going to be PC to PC (not using a telephone system) - you're halfway there already. In fact if your boss could VPN in to your network I guess the functionality would exist today, but I can't imagine the experience would be very good - Edge server is a better way to go.

Hope this helps just a little :-)

Cheers,

Tim
    Tim
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

In our current Active directory we have an DNS zone ABC but in our Office Communicator Clients, we use sign in name Username@abc.com. In our DNS we don't have abc.com DNS zone. How to make our Office Communicator Clients login using Automatic Configuration ? If needed, I can create abc.com dns Zone in our Active Directory DNS. How to go about automatic configuration ?

External Access
    -------------------
    I have not deployed Edge Server in our Network. We are not using ISA server as our firewall. We are using Hardware Firewall Cyberoam CR100i out of 4 ports available, we are using A port for LAN, B and C ports for WAN. D port is vacant. We have Office Communication Server 2007 Standard Edition and Communicator Web Access activated on our Domain Controller Computer.

If I deploy Edge server on another server computer, what needs to be taken care? We are a small company of 30 users thus we are not in requirement of Director and Load balancers. We want simple Edge Server setup.

How to configure Edge Server Setup in our Hardware Firewall? We also have Public IPs with us.

Please do help me to setup this scenario.

Please do let me know for any futher information.

Regards
    Sanjay

Sanju
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:48 AM
  • We are using Office Communication Server 2007 R1. In continuation to my above information, we are looking at external user access. Users outside our Network using Office Communicator 2007 Client login using automatic configuration logs on using the user credentials (Only users of our Active Directory) and at a time can participate in Multi Audio/Video Calls.

A Participant can select multiple participants for an Audio/Video call.

Is it true that in OCS R1 Edition, we cannot have colloborative functionalities?

If this is true, we want to have only Multi Participants Audio/Video call?

Regards
    Sanjay
    Sanju
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hi Sanjay - I'm not sure I understand your questions, but I'll try my best to answer.

If you follow the TechNet links in my original reply, you should get more info on what you need to do, in order to get automatic login to work. Essentially you will either need an SRV record or one of the 'standard' A records (e.g. sip.abc.com) that Communicator looks for. You should definitely have a zone for 'abc.com' unless that is shared with another company or part of your organisation?

You don't need a director or load balancer, but you do need another server which can route from the outside world to your internal server (by the way I'm pretty sure MS would frown upon being on a DC - even CWA is 'unsupported' on a standard edition server these days, but that's another story).

You will also need a reverse proxy - doesn't have to be ISA, but that's the only one I ever use - to publish the web components to the outside world. This can't be the OCS server or Edge server. Both the reverse proxy and the Edge server could sit inside your external firewall in a DMZ. Or sit outside and use ISA as an external firewall. There are different ways to do it; I don't know your network, or your knowledge around network security, but if in doubt I would recommend getting an OCS / network security consultant in to discuss in more detail. A few days of a skilled consultant may save you $$ in the long run.

Not sure what you mean by collaborative functionalies not in R1? I pass on that question, but heartily recommend R2 over RTM/R1

HTH,

Regards,

Tim
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:15 PM