Files and Printers denied RRS feed

• Question

• Once again, following a 'tuneup' my laptop is no longer able to see the files or printers attached to my desktop.

When this has happened in the past I have reverted the laptop to a restore point prior to the tuneup.  This time the earlier restore point didn't fix the problem.

Both computers are running WinXP Pro.  They are connected via OneCare circle using a wireless network connection.  Both computers show firewall ON (Home/Work) with only the connected network enabled and File and Printer Sharing enabled.

Refreshing Printer Sharing shows the printers connected to the desktop as available and installed on the laptop.  However, attempting to print displays an error message "Access denied, Unable to connect."

Attempting to access desktop files from the laptop displays a request for username & password (I've never had passwords for any files).  The desktop accesses files on the laptop as before with no passwords.

What happened during the most recent "tuneup" to require new firewall/security settings?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:38 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Printer Sharing to Windows Live OneCare Firewall)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:48 AM

Answers

• I'm going to move your post to the firewall topic.
    You should not need to restore the PC, however, when I encounter this problem (and it has affected all operating systems that I've used OneCare with) a reboot of the PC is one solution. Another solution is to disable and enable the firewall. That doesn't always work.

In your case, since it is the laptop not able to connect to the desktop, the desktop firewall is the one that is confused. So, try turning the firewall off in OneCare on teh desktop and then turn it back on again. If this doesn't let the laptop print, reboot the desktop PC and try again.

I don't believe that the Tune-up has anything to do with it, but I don't actually know why the firewall gets in this state when it does, so anything is possible.

You should also review your advanced firewall settings per the below, especially if you are using a mixed network - wired/wireless - as this can cause OneCare's firewall to get confused on occasion.

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:35 PM