Look Up Table Values Not showing up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement of merging two EPM 2007 instances. I have merged two instances custom fields and tried to open a exisitng plan connecting to the server. But failed to see that the look up value chosen is not stored. Can anybody tell why this behaviour or am i missing something?

Thanks

Anju

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:59 PM

Answers

• Anju.S --

The big question we all need to know is precisely HOW you merged the two Project Server 2007 instances.  Did you create a new instance and then set up all of the custom fields, and then migrate the projects, for example?  If you did anything similar to that, your existing projects would not reflect the values specified in the previous Project Server 2007 instance, even though the names of the fields are the same.  This is because Project Server uses GUIDS to denote every project, task, assignment, and custom field.  I suspect the GUIDs are different between the instances.  Because of this, you or the PM would need to specify the custom field values again.

I know this from experience because I am currently testing a methodology to move enterprise projects individually from Project Server 2010 to 2013, and am using macros to capture custom field values in 2010 and then to reset the same values in the 2013 project.  Please let us know more about your process and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:23 PM

All replies

• Anju.S --

The big question we all need to know is precisely HOW you merged the two Project Server 2007 instances.  Did you create a new instance and then set up all of the custom fields, and then migrate the projects, for example?  If you did anything similar to that, your existing projects would not reflect the values specified in the previous Project Server 2007 instance, even though the names of the fields are the same.  This is because Project Server uses GUIDS to denote every project, task, assignment, and custom field.  I suspect the GUIDs are different between the instances.  Because of this, you or the PM would need to specify the custom field values again.

I know this from experience because I am currently testing a methodology to move enterprise projects individually from Project Server 2010 to 2013, and am using macros to capture custom field values in 2010 and then to reset the same values in the 2013 project.  Please let us know more about your process and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Dale.Your guess was right.I created a new instance and then setup all the custom fields of both the instances there. My requirement is to merge both the existing instances which have their own customizations.I had the follwoing approach in mind

1. Create a new instance

2.Populate custom fields/look up table & other customizations of both instance into this

3.Import the exisitng project plan into this new instance - here i faced the problem of lookup table values.

Could you please suggest me a better approach or how i can make the above approach workable.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Anju.S --

As you now know from my previous post, you are dealing with the issue of the GUIDs being different between the three Project Server 2007 instances.  If you are going to migrate the individual projects from the two other instances into the one unified Project Server 2007 instance, you will need to specify the Project and Task enterprise custom fields in each project as you migrate it.  That makes for a lot of work, as I know from experience.

My way to speed up the migration process for individual projects from Project Server 2010 to Project Server 2013 is to write macros at both ends of the migration process.  On the 2010 end, I created several macros to capture the custom enterprise Project and Task field values in a series of local Text fields in each project.  On the 2013 end, I wrote several macros to specify the custom enterprise Project and Task field values captured in the local Text fields.

If you know VBA, writing these macros can save you hours of time migrating each project.  But if you do not know VBA, you would need to do this by hand.

Your alternative to all of this would be to reconfigure one of your Project Server 2007 instances to contain the custom field data for both instances.  And then you would need to move the projects from the other instance to the first instance.  But again, you would need to manually specify custom enterprise field values for each project as you move it.

Just some thoughts.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Anju,

I have seen this issue before with another client. If you create a blank Project do you see the lookup value?

If yes, then you can clear your cache or even try to add this custom field in Task Entry view > Show Project Summary Task (Via Format Ribbon) > Then try to edit this custom field with this lookup value.

I do agree with Dale best option to Merge instances is to use VBA to save data in some local text fields and then once upgraded to 2013 move them to enterprise custom fields.

Thanks Gaurav Wason MCITP, PMP

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:06 AM
  • As am not aware of VBA I need to try other alternatives :-(

As i mentioned earlier we have two instances (A1 & A2) that needs to be merged. Following are the scenarios tested

1. Restored the Custom fields from A1 alone in the new instance (A3) and then open the project plan of A1 in A3. I could see the chosen look up values 

-A1 server & A3 server has SP3 installed & project professional also SP3

2. Restored the Custom fields from A2 alone in the new instance (A3) and then open the project plan of A2 in A3. I could not see the user chosen look up values though i could see the values in the dropdown of look up table custom field.

-A3 server has SP3 installed but A2 has SP3 + Oct 2011 CU + Aug 2012 CU

Does CU have any role to play in this behaviour?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:49 AM