Best Options For Audio Client Devices? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to set this up for my mom so she can play her music on a non-computer device in her house.

At my house, I have all my music in \Music so I can access it all directly through iTunes on my computers (I think via upnp??).  At my folks, I want to get either like a WIFI boom box type thing, or a deck that could be hooked up to their stereo system.

Does anyone know where I can find lists of devices that will see the music the same way my iTunes does?  I'm not really looking for something that you point to a UNC share... I would rather make use of whatever protocol it uses to stream music to my computers via iTunes.

I'm open to other options if there is a better way.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

• Assuming you're talking about an HP MediaSmart Server, it uses a component called Firefly to stream your music. It's capable of streaming the iTunes formats (.m4a, .m4p) and several others. Any device that says it will consume DAAP (Digital Audio Access Protocol, the protocol that iTunes and Firefly use to stream music) will work. That includes iTunes, the Roku Soundbridge line of devices, and quite a few others.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't publish a list of DAAP devices. Also, note that DAAP is not an open protocol (it's Apple property), so it's possible that at some point devices will no longer be able to stream from your server. To an extent that's happening now; newer versions of DAAP include an authentication component, so that non-Apple devices can't stream from current iTunes implementations. Firefly uses a (reverse engineered) version of DAAP from before that change, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by cmay Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:59 PM