Installing Home Server Software Losing Partition?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm just about to install Windows Home Server Evaluation software on to an extra XP pc.  I stop where it what's to format the hard drive.  I'm ok with losing everything on drive c:  however will it format the partition drive D:  this is where my win xp recover software is.  I don't want to lose that.  Does anyone know if I will lose the data in the D: dive?

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

• On a new install, the WHS installer will format every hard drive that it sees.
    Likewise, any hard drive that you add to the storage pool will be formatted when you add it.
    And, no, there's no way to change that - it's hard-coded into the OS.

If you have data that you want to keep, but you want to use those hard drive(s) in your WHS, you will need to first copy that data to another location (CDs/DVDs, portable HDD, another computer - whatever works best for you.)
    After you're done with setup, you can copy the data back to the shared folders on the server.
    For future reinstallations of the server (such as if/when you decide that you do want to keep it, and you buy a full copy of the OS), you can run a server reinstallation.  This will reinstall the OS, but leave the data intact - you'll only need to re-add users and computers, and reinstall any add-ins that you might have installed.

@ dean:  while the trial version of WHS is, in fact, a trial, there is absolutely no difference (aside from the timebomb that's built in) between the trial and the full version.  It's not a beta, or crippleware....

HTH,

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:43 PM

All replies

• I don't know if the install will wipe out everything on your HDs.  (but I believe it will).  What I can tell you is that you should not mess with your data.  By installing trial software onto that machine, it becomes a sandbox and everything may have a good chance to be destroyed.  You can move what you need to keep to an external storage.  Or you can add an internal hard drive and move your stuff over to that one, just remove the power cable on that additional HD before you run your WHS setup.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:56 PM
  • On a new install, the WHS installer will format every hard drive that it sees.
    Likewise, any hard drive that you add to the storage pool will be formatted when you add it.
    And, no, there's no way to change that - it's hard-coded into the OS.

If you have data that you want to keep, but you want to use those hard drive(s) in your WHS, you will need to first copy that data to another location (CDs/DVDs, portable HDD, another computer - whatever works best for you.)
    After you're done with setup, you can copy the data back to the shared folders on the server.
    For future reinstallations of the server (such as if/when you decide that you do want to keep it, and you buy a full copy of the OS), you can run a server reinstallation.  This will reinstall the OS, but leave the data intact - you'll only need to re-add users and computers, and reinstall any add-ins that you might have installed.

@ dean:  while the trial version of WHS is, in fact, a trial, there is absolutely no difference (aside from the timebomb that's built in) between the trial and the full version.  It's not a beta, or crippleware....

HTH,

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Thank you.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:57 AM