none
Media Player 11 not supported

Question

• I have just tried to download Windows media player 11 and got a message ---windows server 2003 does not support WMP 11?

Is this just me and will the finished version support WMP 11?

Dave

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:34 AM

Answers

• I've done some fiddling today and managed to get this working, albeit in a completely unsupported and at-your-own-risk way.

Ready for some tinkering? After reading up on various workarounds online, here's what I did:

To install Media Player 11:
    1. Download wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe
    2. Open this file in an extraction program such as WinZip or 7-Zip (I used 7-Zip)
    3. Extract the wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe and place them in separate folders on the C: drive of your WHS (not on a share). (this step was adapted from instructions I was following elsewhere - I'm not certain of the separate folders requirement, but I did it anyway)
    4. From the WHS admin desktop, right-click the wmfdist11.exe file and click properties.
    5. Go to the Compatibility tab and ticket the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and sleect Windows XP from the drop down.
    6. Click OK, and run the wmfdisk11.exe. Choose not to restart at the end.
    7. Repeat 4-7 for the wmp11.exe
    8. Reboot WHS, launch your newly installed Media player 11.
    Now, that doesn't alter your Media Sharing setup at all. If you had Media Sharing turned on before, it will still be using Windows Media Connect 2.0 as included with WHS. So, to set up the newer sharing system:
    1. Open the WHS Console, go to Settings, and turn off Media Sharing
    2. (This step is possibly optional, but I had to do it)
      1. Click Start, right-click on My Computer, and click Manage.
      2. Browse to Services and Application > Services
      3. Find Windows Media Connect Service, right click it and click Properties
      4. Click Stop (if it is not already stopped)
      5. Set Startup type to Disabled (if not already)
      6. Click OK.
    3. Open Windows Media Player on WHS.
    4. Click the down arrow on the Library tab and click More Options
    5. Click the Monitor Folders button
    6. Add D:\shares\Music (or wherever your music is) to the list. NOTE: Microsoft recommend you always use the \\servername\sharename method to access files on the shares, but WMP11 will not share files located on a UNC path without a lot of fiddling around (see "Q. Why can't I play files that are shared by one computer but located on different computer?" on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx). This worked for me, and given that I'm only reading data using this method and not writing, I don't see the harm - if someone knows differently please tell me!
    7. Click OK and wait for files to be added to the library
    8. Now click the Configure Sharing button
    9. Tick the "Share my media to:" box and configure the settings how you want them by either clicking the Settings button to setup default settings for all devices, or click Configure for each detected client and set each client up manually.
    10. Click OK, OK, and close Windows Media Player
    11. Start your client of choice and relax.

UPDATE: If you find after following these steps that the Remote Access web page is throing an ASP.NET error (as I did), simply reboot WHS. This seems to be caused by stopping the Windows Media Connect Service.

I don't have any standalone devices to test this on, such as the ones mentioned above, but I'm pretty sure they will now work. I'd love to hear how someone with one of those devices gets on.

Remember, this is completely at your own risk and your WHS may explode, lose all your data, and shave your cat for all I know. It worked fine for me, but if you break your server doing this then remember it's your server, and you did it. As Obi-Wan said: "Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:15 PM
  • why do you need WMP on a box with no monitor or sound card he asks.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Because the Version 2 of WMC that ships with WHS is not compatible with all the UPnP AV devices that WMC Version 3 or 4  is, namely the Momento Picture Frame. Also WMC 4 is more feature rich than WMC 2.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:41 PM
  • The upgrade path from Windows Media Connect 2.0 is Windows Media Player 11, I'm afraid. Microsoft has discontinued WMC as a separate product. So until WMP 11 is available for Windows Server 2003 (if ever) we will be stuck with WMC 2.0.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:42 PM

All replies

• why do you need WMP on a box with no monitor or sound card he asks.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Then why do they ship it with WMP10?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:18 PM
  • Because the Version 2 of WMC that ships with WHS is not compatible with all the UPnP AV devices that WMC Version 3 or 4  is, namely the Momento Picture Frame. Also WMC 4 is more feature rich than WMC 2.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:41 PM
  • The upgrade path from Windows Media Connect 2.0 is Windows Media Player 11, I'm afraid. Microsoft has discontinued WMC as a separate product. So until WMP 11 is available for Windows Server 2003 (if ever) we will be stuck with WMC 2.0.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Previous to WHS, Microsoft had a good case for not bringing WMP11 to Windows Server, since WMP11 is a consumer product. But WHS is also a consumer product. Hopefully the WHS team will be motivated to light a fire under the Windows Media team to finally get this released...

I think WHS won't be reviewed as well if there are complaints about being unable to interface WHS with WMC 3.0 devices... so at the very least there should be some assurance to releasing WMP11-WinServer eventually before WHS goes RTM.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:15 AM
  • I've done some fiddling today and managed to get this working, albeit in a completely unsupported and at-your-own-risk way.

Ready for some tinkering? After reading up on various workarounds online, here's what I did:

To install Media Player 11:
    1. Download wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe
    2. Open this file in an extraction program such as WinZip or 7-Zip (I used 7-Zip)
    3. Extract the wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe and place them in separate folders on the C: drive of your WHS (not on a share). (this step was adapted from instructions I was following elsewhere - I'm not certain of the separate folders requirement, but I did it anyway)
    4. From the WHS admin desktop, right-click the wmfdist11.exe file and click properties.
    5. Go to the Compatibility tab and ticket the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and sleect Windows XP from the drop down.
    6. Click OK, and run the wmfdisk11.exe. Choose not to restart at the end.
    7. Repeat 4-7 for the wmp11.exe
    8. Reboot WHS, launch your newly installed Media player 11.
    Now, that doesn't alter your Media Sharing setup at all. If you had Media Sharing turned on before, it will still be using Windows Media Connect 2.0 as included with WHS. So, to set up the newer sharing system:
    1. Open the WHS Console, go to Settings, and turn off Media Sharing
    2. (This step is possibly optional, but I had to do it)
      1. Click Start, right-click on My Computer, and click Manage.
      2. Browse to Services and Application > Services
      3. Find Windows Media Connect Service, right click it and click Properties
      4. Click Stop (if it is not already stopped)
      5. Set Startup type to Disabled (if not already)
      6. Click OK.
    3. Open Windows Media Player on WHS.
    4. Click the down arrow on the Library tab and click More Options
    5. Click the Monitor Folders button
    6. Add D:\shares\Music (or wherever your music is) to the list. NOTE: Microsoft recommend you always use the \\servername\sharename method to access files on the shares, but WMP11 will not share files located on a UNC path without a lot of fiddling around (see "Q. Why can't I play files that are shared by one computer but located on different computer?" on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx). This worked for me, and given that I'm only reading data using this method and not writing, I don't see the harm - if someone knows differently please tell me!
    7. Click OK and wait for files to be added to the library
    8. Now click the Configure Sharing button
    9. Tick the "Share my media to:" box and configure the settings how you want them by either clicking the Settings button to setup default settings for all devices, or click Configure for each detected client and set each client up manually.
    10. Click OK, OK, and close Windows Media Player
    11. Start your client of choice and relax.

UPDATE: If you find after following these steps that the Remote Access web page is throing an ASP.NET error (as I did), simply reboot WHS. This seems to be caused by stopping the Windows Media Connect Service.

I don't have any standalone devices to test this on, such as the ones mentioned above, but I'm pretty sure they will now work. I'd love to hear how someone with one of those devices gets on.

Remember, this is completely at your own risk and your WHS may explode, lose all your data, and shave your cat for all I know. It worked fine for me, but if you break your server doing this then remember it's your server, and you did it. As Obi-Wan said: "Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Good work, Jay.

Does 6 work if you were to map a drive to the share? (even though it's on the same machine!)

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Nice.  Note, WMP monitoring folders actually does change files sometimes.  You may want to configure WMP to not ever try to do things like look for album art and updated media tags from the Internet.  You still may not be able to convince WMP not to make the annoying album art .jpg files in each album folder.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Good points there Erv - I'll do that just to be on the safe side.

Unfortunately I don't think that the mapped drive technique will work, firstly because the problems are partly to do with network permissions (which would not be alleviated by a drive mapping), but also because mapped drives aren't present when the user is logged off, so you'd have to leave the Administrator account permanently logged in for the files to be available to WMP11.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Later this evening I found that due to having not restarted after stopping the Windows Media Connect Service, the Remote Access web page now threw an ASP.NET exception every time I tried to access it. I've updated my instructions to include rebooting, which solves the problem.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Many thanks for the info on getting WMP 11 installed on WHS. Its now possible for me to connect my Momento Picture Frame to WHS.

The icing on the cake will be if a solution can be found to being able to share the \\server\  network path. I assume when you add an extra drive to the system it will be assigned its own drive letter and content that automatically gets distributed to the new drive will then not be shared unless the new location is added manually.

At first I thought it was going to work as the Browse box allows you to select a network path, but then the content does not appear.

Monday, July 2, 2007 6:49 PM
  • \\server is a device, it's where the shares live. You can use that as a path, but it just shows the shares that are available on that device.

When you add a new drive to WHS, it is absorbed into the storage pool as more space - it doesn't have a separate drive letter. This is part of the ingenious solution. If you don't add it to the pool, then it exists as a separate drive, but isn't part of the storage (backups, folder duplication etc).

Saturday, July 7, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Just thought I'd chime in and say thanks.  This hack allows the streaming of Divx and Xvid to the X360 with the latest dashboard update.  Nice!
    Monday, December 24, 2007 2:12 PM
  •  awp0 wrote:
    Just thought I'd chime in and say thanks.  This hack allows the streaming of Divx and Xvid to the X360 with the latest dashboard update.  Nice!

This hack is not necessary to play DivX/XviD files on the 360 after the December dashboard update.

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:04 PM
  • According to several articles, WMP11 or Zune software is required to stream Xvid and Divx to the Xbox 360 (after the December update).  And I couldn't get the Dashboard to recognize these video files without WMP11.  Have you gotten this to work otherwise? 
    Monday, December 24, 2007 3:13 PM
  •  awp0 wrote:
    According to several articles, WMP11 or Zune software is required to stream Xvid and Divx to the Xbox 360 (after the December update).  And I couldn't get the Dashboard to recognize these video files without WMP11.  Have you gotten this to work otherwise? 

Yep, just watched an XviD episode of a TV show this morning... Smile

The first time I tried it, it said it wouldn't work without downloading a codec update from MS.  I did that and it's worked ever since....

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:24 PM
  • That's interesting.  I had music and pictures working fine, but it wouldn't recognize any videos (media sharing in WHS was configured).  Upon looking around, several articles mention the requirement for WMP11 to stream Divx/Xvid.  As soon as I implemented the steps above, video worked perfectly.

Interestingly, Gizmodo seems to agree with you (mentions that it works with WHS).  So I'm not sure what my issue was:
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-divx%5Cxvid-test/xbox-360-divxxvid-playback-tested-verdict-its-almost-perfect-329769.php

Regardless, I'm a happy camper now.  If anyone else is having issues getting video streaming to work with the X360, definitely try the WMP11 hack.

Aaron

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:40 PM
  •  

This is awesome worked great!!!

Now if someone can provide RDC hack for SP1 Vista Home Pemium - I will finally feel as though WHS is worth the $200 + hardware I paid for. Altought the backup system is phenomenal!!

-pied

Monday, December 24, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I've installed WMP11 on my WHS as per the guide, however it is not detecting my PS3.  My XP desktop computers detected the PS3 straight away.  I am able to stream to my PS3 from Connect.

Anyone got any ideas as what it could be.  I think I've ruled out the firewall (unless there is a strange port that needs to be open for WMP11).

Is there any software I can use as a media client on my XP desktop to test if it will stream to anything?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:17 PM
  • I just did this tonight and I had 100% success.  My XBox360 and my PS3 are both now able to stream DivX from the WHS.  The music now plays without lags or skips.

Other bonuses.

All of the media controls now work on the PS3.  I am able to pause, FF, RW, and skip tracks all without the PS3 missing a beat.

Why oh why did they not include the Media Player 11 sharing engine is beyond me.

I am also able use all my XP and Vista machines to stream from the WHS with ease....

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

I did find a couple of fixes though....

#1 This registry entry.

If you want to share files in a monitored folder that is located on another computer (for example, a folder on a network share), the remote folder must have the appropriate Windows access permissions assigned to it and the computer that contains the library you want to share has remote content sharing enabled. You can enable remote content sharing by performing the following procedure on the computer that contains the library you are sharing.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

In the registry tree (on the left), expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, MediaPlayer, and then Preferences.

Right-click HME, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

Type EnableRemoteContentSharing, and then press ENTER.

Right-click EnableRemoteContentSharing, and then click Modify.

In the Value data text box, type 1, and then click OK. If you later decide to disable remote content sharing, you can repeat this procedure and change the value to 0.

To grant one user account permission to access folders on other computers

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance or System and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, and then click Properties.

On the Log On tab, click This account, and specify a user account that has Read permission for the remote folders containing media that you want to share. This account should have a password that never expires. (Just use the Administrator account)

On the General tab, click Stop, click Start, and then click OK.

On the computer containing the library you are sharing, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

In the registry tree (on the left), expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, and Windows Media Player NSS.

Right-click 3.0, and then click Permissions.

Click Add.

In the Enter the object names to select box, type the name of the account you specified in step 3 of the preceding procedure. (Administrator should have access to this already)

Click OK.

In the Group or user names box, click the name of the account you specified in step 3 of the preceding procedure.

In the Permissions box, on the Full Control row, select the Allow check box.

Click OK, and then close Registry Editor.

When this is all completed in my library I added the following folders to be monitored:

\\server\videos

\\server\photos

\\server\music

Then I let it find all my media and thats it...

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:29 AM
  • I too installed WMP-11 and it seemed to work fine (thank you Jay). I kept wmfdist11 and wmp11 in the same local directory when launched, did not see any visible signs that it caused a problem. I did reboot after installing wmfdist11 (as it suggested) and rebooted again after wmp11, just to be sure.

I realize this is a WHS forum, but for those that went on to get their Momento to connect, please read on...

When I “Search for Computers”, the Momento detects my server and I can happily select it. However, it thinks for a moment and returns to the “no servers connected” screen; where I can [through a spark of insanity] repeat the search and selection again. I can only imagine that it abnormally terminates some negotiation process when it tries to connect, naturally giving no meaningful error that it had a problem.

I’ve got 2 other Windows XP SP2 computers on the network, one it can connect to fine and the other exhibits the same problem as the WHS.

I’m just wondering if anyone’s had a similar problem – detecting but not connecting to a Media Connect Service?

Thanks for reading!

-John

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I had a problem like that until I realized that I had to click the button in WMP11 that sais all clients can connect.  Or you have to authorize which devices are allowed to connect.

Check step 9 in the install directions. 

I clicked the allow all, then went to all my clients and verifyed they were able to connect and stream.  Then I allowed just the ones I wanted to and turned off the allow-all.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:18 PM
  •  

Turns out the problem I was having was that I just didn’t set the EnableRemoteContentSharing value in the registry. Tip: apparently the Momento has a poor behavior of pretending that it did not connect to the server if it was not able to successfully render at least one photo. So for diagnostic purposes I placed a single photo in the “My Pictures” folder of the administrator. Then, I could at least see it working while I troubleshoot the UNC content sharing problem.  I’ve got it all working now (thanks to you guys) and put together a post to summarize the whole thing.

Thanks again everyone, this was a great post!

-John

Sunday, January 27, 2008 5:43 PM
  • True, but this hack is necessary in order to play H.264 MP4 video files. As it turned out, Window Media Connect 2.0 doesn't not support MP4 files. I
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:47 PM
  •  chabiss wrote:
    True, but this hack is necessary in order to play H.264 MP4 video files. As it turned out, Window Media Connect 2.0 doesn't not support MP4 files. I

Sure, I didn’t mean to imply that I didn’t need WMP11, just that the remaining step to getting my Momento working wasn’t step 9 as Pugsly0014 suggested (2 replies back), just that I needed EnableRemoteContentSharing also.

Turns out I did reconsider my whole strategy anyway (after I got it working of course) and ended up pointing my Momento to my existing Media Center PC. There I just added the WHS's UNC to the photos, set the identity of WMPNSS to an account and gave it permissions on the photos share, and set the same registry.

So, for the time being my strategic direction is to share media on my MCP and store media on my MediaSmart. I’ll probably keep it this way until such time as the 2 directions converge.

-John

P.S. The only problem now is the ‘hack’ doesn’t look like it can be rolled back successfully.  Oh well, I’ll just keep the WMP11 bits there, no harm.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:15 PM
  • I'm running my PS3 on a wireless G connection, and I installed WMP 11 and enabled it for media sharing.  It was cutting out on my songs, and it would skip some songs on the playlist.  My videos were still lagging, and then it freeze up, and so would my server.  It would also freeze up my router so I would have to reboot every device on my network.  I also noticed that it would do the same if I tried to transfter files to shares while streaming video, or music.  Anyone else having these issues?

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:57 PM
  • I discovered something interesting worth sharing with this thread: I believe HP shipped the MediaSmart server with incorrect permissions set on the Photos share which is stopping the Momento Photoframe, xbox360, PS3 from viewing photos from the MediaServer after adding WMP11.  I figured out how to fix that. Read on...

I have followed all the instructions on this thread to install WMP11 and to enablecontentsharing in the registry, etc.. However, I found that while my xbox360, PS3, and my Momento photo frame were able to browse folders on the media server, they were NOT able to view photos after following all the instructions on this thread.

Interestingly enough, My xbox360 and PS3 could browse the music and video folders being served up from WMP11 on the MediaServer and it could even play them. However, my xbox360 could only browse the photos folders being served by WMP11 on my MediaServer -- but it would not display thumbnails of the photos or allow me view them.

On my Momento photo frame, I could select the MediaServer as a computer, navigate my way through the Photos folders, but when I selected a folder to display pictures from, the icon would spin around forever on the Momento and then simply do nothing, taking me back to the folder selection screen that I was already on before trying to play the photos. uggg!

This sounded to me as if the permissions on the Photos share on the mediaserver must be different than permissions on the Video and Music shares. WMP11 uses the "Network Service" account to access the files on the MediaServer. As if I only had BROWSE access to the PHOTOS share, and not READ access.

So, I logged onto the MediaServer via Remote Desktop, went to the D:\shares directory and righ-clicked on Music. I selected the SECURITY tab and viewed permissions. Sure enough, the "Network Service" account had READ permissions for all child folders and files under MUSIC. I then checked the permmissions on the VIDEO folder and saw that the "Network Service" had READ permissions for all child folders and files there too. -- this is good and is as I would have expected because again, my xbox360 and my PS3 could access the music and video content just fine.

But what about PHOTOS? So, next I checked the permissions by following the same steps as listed in the paragragph above on d:\shares\photos and realized that the "Network Service" account had READ access ONLY to the root of PHOTOS, but NOT to any of the child folders and files under it. -- this is a problem as WMP11 needs the "Network Service" account to have READ access to any file that it is going to share.

Here's how I fixed it:

Login to the MediaServer as Administrator via Remote Desktop Connection

Go to My Computer

DoubleClick into D:\Shares

right-click on Photos folder

Select the SECURITY Tab

Clicked the ADVANCED button at the bottom of the window

Click ADD button

type NETWORK SERVICE into the box and click the CHECK NAMES button

CLICK OK

Check the box to ALLOW "READ PERMISSIONS" that pop's up. 

Click OK

Now, you should be back to the Advanced Security Settings window, viewing the Permisssions tab again and you should see NETWORK SERVICE in the list with READ permissions.

Check the second box at the bottom of the window that reads "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"

Next, click the OK button at the bottom fo the screen. You may get a warning message or two asking if you are sure -- say yes or press ok or whatever you need to do to tell it to do it.

You will see an indicator apear that shows that work is being done to apply the permissions. This will take a very long time if you have a lot of images. It took about an hour or so to apply these permissions to my image directory.

After this was all done, I rebooted the media server, turned my Momento Photo frame off and back on, selected the Photo directory that I wanted it to play and it has worked great ever since. I can also view photo thumnails and photos on my XBOX360 and PS3 now too.

all is good.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Regards,

Ron

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:50 PM
  •  Ron Pierce wrote:

I discovered something interesting worth sharing with this thread: I believe HP shipped the MediaSmart server with incorrect permissions set on the Photos share which is stopping the Momento Photoframe, xbox360, PS3 from viewing photos from the MediaServer after adding WMP11.  I figured out how to fix that. Read on...

I have followed all the instructions on this thread to install WMP11 and to enablecontentsharing in the registry, etc.. However, I found that while my xbox360, PS3, and my Momento photo frame were able to browse folders on the media server, they were NOT able to view photos after following all the instructions on this thread.

Interestingly enough, My xbox360 and PS3 could browse the music and video folders being served up from WMP11 on the MediaServer and it could even play them. However, my xbox360 could only browse the photos folders being served by WMP11 on my MediaServer -- but it would not display thumbnails of the photos or allow me view them.

On my Momento photo frame, I could select the MediaServer as a computer, navigate my way through the Photos folders, but when I selected a folder to display pictures from, the icon would spin around forever on the Momento and then simply do nothing, taking me back to the folder selection screen that I was already on before trying to play the photos. uggg!

This sounded to me as if the permissions on the Photos share on the mediaserver must be different than permissions on the Video and Music shares. WMP11 uses the "Network Service" account to access the files on the MediaServer. As if I only had BROWSE access to the PHOTOS share, and not READ access.

So, I logged onto the MediaServer via Remote Desktop, went to the D:\shares directory and righ-clicked on Music. I selected the SECURITY tab and viewed permissions. Sure enough, the "Network Service" account had READ permissions for all child folders and files under MUSIC. I then checked the permmissions on the VIDEO folder and saw that the "Network Service" had READ permissions for all child folders and files there too. -- this is good and is as I would have expected because again, my xbox360 and my PS3 could access the music and video content just fine.

But what about PHOTOS? So, next I checked the permissions by following the same steps as listed in the paragragph above on d:\shares\photos and realized that the "Network Service" account had READ access ONLY to the root of PHOTOS, but NOT to any of the child folders and files under it. -- this is a problem as WMP11 needs the "Network Service" account to have READ access to any file that it is going to share.

Here's how I fixed it:

Login to the MediaServer as Administrator via Remote Desktop Connection

Go to My Computer

DoubleClick into D:\Shares

right-click on Photos folder

Select the SECURITY Tab

Clicked the ADVANCED button at the bottom of the window

Click ADD button

type NETWORK SERVICE into the box and click the CHECK NAMES button

CLICK OK

Check the box to ALLOW "READ PERMISSIONS" that pop's up. 

Click OK

Now, you should be back to the Advanced Security Settings window, viewing the Permisssions tab again and you should see NETWORK SERVICE in the list with READ permissions.

Check the second box at the bottom of the window that reads "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects"

Next, click the OK button at the bottom fo the screen. You may get a warning message or two asking if you are sure -- say yes or press ok or whatever you need to do to tell it to do it.

You will see an indicator apear that shows that work is being done to apply the permissions. This will take a very long time if you have a lot of images. It took about an hour or so to apply these permissions to my image directory.

After this was all done, I rebooted the media server, turned my Momento Photo frame off and back on, selected the Photo directory that I wanted it to play and it has worked great ever since. I can also view photo thumnails and photos on my XBOX360 and PS3 now too.

all is good.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Regards,

Ron

My MediaSmart server had its permissions set correctly from the onset.  Not to sure why yours weren't set correctly initially.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:57 AM
  •  

I wanted to thank you in advance for this work around (Jay Schlackman - extract with 7-zip, set compatibility, install)...

I'm actually using my WHS box as my home media box in my home theater room, including all my pictures, music, home movies, DVDs and TV...  The way I see it, it is already going to have everything on it so why not...

This weekend I was trying to get the "Watch Instantly" feature from Netflix to run on the box and ran into the "You must install Windows Media Player 11" issue (which of course I could not do)...  On a side note when I tried to install it in compatability mode I got a message that my version of XP could not be validated (which since it really isn't XP didn't surprise me, but I still found it interesting)...

Anyhow, this is the first thing I have found that gives me hope of being able to do this so thank you once again...  I'll be back and let you know if it actually solves the issue...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well I tried this on Tuesday night and it worked like a charm...

WMP11 installed without a hitch, then the NetFlix viewer installed without a hitch and before I knew it my daughters were watching "Annie" streaming acrossed the internet right into our Home Theater room, it was awesome!!!

Thank you so much for this work around, it has already brought great joy to my daughters (any myself)...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:13 PM
  •  

Hey fellas -

Like many of you, after reading this post I had WMP11 Network Sharing Service working great on my HomeServer. It worked great for the past 3 months.

Then, it all stopped working for no apparent reason (I made no changes)

None of my Media devices (xbox360, PS3, Momento Photoframe, etc.) see my HomeServer any longer.

By using a free Microsoft program called TCPView which shows a real-time list of all active processes and which ports they are utilizing I can see that the "wmpnetwk" process is no longer "listening" on TCP (or UDP for that matter).

My WinXP machine which is also running WMP11 on it always shows the "wmpnetwk" as listening and it still shows up on this list of available computers from my other media devices around the house. If I block the port it is listening on I get the same behavior as my HomeServer.

I've tried everything to get the thing to start listening again on the HomeServer (rebooting in between each item and attempting to connect from a media device on the network -- no luck with each attempt)

- such as:

• disabled Windows Firewall for testing purposes to rule out any ports being blocked
    • did a port scan from my WinXP machine against the HomeServer to ensure the proper ports needed for the WMPNSS were open. (confirmed they were open with Windows Firewall turned off and then also when turned on)
    • reset the WMPNSS service logon account to "Administrator" and rechecked all the registry settings, registry permissions, and folder permissions for Administrator required for content sharing - defined in this threads previous posts.
    • stop and restarted the WMPNSS service (a million times throughout this process)
    • stopped and set to manual the IPSEC service (a microsoft KB article mentioned trying this as a last resort to getting media sharing working) and restarted
    • confirmed that HTTP SSL, SSDP, and Universal Plug and Play Services were set to manual and started
    • cleared out my WMP library
    • deleted the shared folders and readded them thereby allowing it to reindex and recreate my library
    • checked all the sharing settings in WMP to ensure all devices were allowed and sharing checked.

This may be a coincidence but it was around the time of April 10 when Windows Update on my HomeServer auto-downloaded and installed a series of security patches and updates that everything went to hell.

I have tried everything to fix this just short of reinstalling. (and yes, I disabled windows firewall on the homeserver for testing purposes)

are you experiencing this same thing? any luck fixing it?

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:03 AM
  •  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm experiencing the same symtoms as you've described above where "wmpnetwk.exe" is not listening on as shown using TCPView.

My media devices can "see" my server but can't access any of its shared media.

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:22 AM
  • Same problem here.  I was able to see the WHS from my PS3 for months, and then suddenly - POOF - gone.  No idea what is going on or why.  I just know I want a fix - please help!
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:47 AM
  • I have had that problem in the past and just needed to reboot my WHS server.  I have not checked since the last round of patches but I will check when I get home to see if it is not working.

I hope MS didn't screw something up. 

Has you tried sharing with a XP or Vista machine to see if that has stoped working as well?

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:50 AM
  • I just rebooted the WHS.  Still no luck on the PS3 - I do a "search for media servers" and no media servers are found.  If I go to a Vista machine on my network, I can see the content on the WHS using WMP on that machine.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:09 PM
  •  

There have been 2 PS3 firmware updates in the past few weeks.  How about the XBox is that still working?
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Well, you had me worried but I tested it when I got home. 

Everything was working to both PS3 and XBox.  I was able to stream Music, Pictures, and Videos including DivX encoded movies.

No problems what so ever.

Did you check your permissions in WMP11 to verify you have given your PS3 permission to listen to your stream? 

Did you check your router to verify that UPnP is still enabled?

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:38 PM
  • All of my media devices in the houes (PS3, XBOX360, Momento Photo Frame, Dennon Audio/Video Receiver, iPod touch, etc.) work fine against my Windows XP machine running Windows Media Player 11 Network Sharing Services -- but none of them can even so much as locate the HomeServer any longer,. It doesn't even show up in the computer list to select from on the Media Devices.

It's as if the HomeServer simply stopped listening for Media Devices.

According to TCPView -- the process is running on the HomeServer, but it's simply NOT listening on any ports.

Has anyone tried reinstalling WMP11 yet? - I think that will be my next step.

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Yes - I've tried that - no luck.
    Monday, April 28, 2008 10:52 PM
  • I guess you have rebooted your router as well?

On your home server open a CMD prompt and type

netstat -a

Verify you see

UDP     <HOMESERVER>:1900     *:*

That will at least verify that your UPnP is running on the home server.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Here the results of a netstat -a on my WHS - I don;t see anything listening on UDP port 1900.

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>netstat -a

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
      TCP    HomeServer:http       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:epmap      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:https      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:microsoft-ds  HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:554        HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:1026       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:1138       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:ms-streaming  HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:icslap     HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:ms-wbt-server  HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:3483       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:8009       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:8080       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:8912       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:9000       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:9090       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:9092       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:16107      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:55000      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:56000      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:netbios-ssn  HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:1138       5.57.73.148:3176       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:ms-wbt-server  5.57.73.148:3155       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:ms-wbt-server  5.57.73.148:3201       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:1029       HomeServer:32000      ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:1041       HomeServer:9092       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:1059       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:1062       HomeServer:5432       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:1066       HomeServer:5432       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:1238       HomeServer:8009       CLOSE_WAIT
      TCP    HomeServer:1806       HomeServer:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
      TCP    HomeServer:1807       HomeServer:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
      TCP    HomeServer:1808       HomeServer:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
      TCP    HomeServer:1809       HomeServer:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
      TCP    HomeServer:5354       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:5432       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:5432       HomeServer:1062       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:5432       HomeServer:1066       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:8079       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:8081       HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:9092       HomeServer:1041       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:12025      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:12080      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:12110      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:12119      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:12143      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:32000      HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:32000      HomeServer:1029       ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:netbios-ssn  HomeServer:0          LISTENING
      TCP    HomeServer:1121       bravo.hamachi.cc:32976  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:3483       192.168.0.159:19103    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:3483       192.168.0.179:22289    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:4464       www3.ibackup.com:11942  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:4474       www3.ibackup.com:11942  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    HomeServer:9000       192.168.0.112:41155    ESTABLISHED
      UDP    HomeServer:microsoft-ds  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:isakmp     *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1025       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1027       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1134       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:ms-streaming  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:3483       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:ipsec-msft  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:8912       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:ntp        *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:netbios-ns  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:netbios-dgm  *:*
      UDP    HomeServerTongue Tiedsdp       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:5353       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1028       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1227       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:netbios-ns  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:netbios-dgm  *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:1122       *:*
      UDP    HomeServer:5353       *:*

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:30 PM
  • Sorry about the smiley faces - it replaced "Tongue Tiedsdp" with that smirking face!  Smile
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:31 PM
  • I do not see UDP port 1900 listed.  This is the Universal Plug and Play port that is needed in order to share your media.

Here is some troubleshooting steps from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  

Even with my Windows Firewall turned off, when I run netstat -a (or when I run TCPView) it shows that the Universal Plug and Play is not listneing on TCP or UDP ports nor is the WMPNSS process listening on it's UDP or TCP ports (occasionally I can catch it listneing on UDP 2864 - which is weird because that isn't one of the documented ports it usually runs on -- but it never actually listens on that port).

All these services (and the other services required for WMPNSS to run) show as being started within the Services console.

Also, by looking at Task Manager, I can see that the WMPNSS process is active (wmpnetwk.exe) but with no CPU activity at any time.

wow - what gives here....

Someone in the post up above said they tried a reinstall of WMP11 to no avail... I still haven't tried that yet, but suspect this is something outside of WMP11 too.

smells like a security patch

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:16 AM
  • yeah - already confirmed this was done (my HomeServer had this in place already by default)

The problem isn't that the ports are closed or that all the needed services aren't running. Ports are open, WMPNSS services are up and running, and all the dependant services are up and running too.

The problem apears to be that the WMPNSS simply stopped listening for media device requests on the network. It's not that it can't listen -- it stopped listening.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:41 PM
  • I have received several emails from people also trying hard to solve this one, but no one has yet to crack this nut.

Here's some new infromation that I've discovered (after spending way too many hours on this over the weekend):

While I haven't identified the root cause or a fix yet, I believe at this point that the problem is related to the UPnP service on the Home Server not functioning correctly in it's attempts to auto-configure the router. WMPNSS requires the UPnP service to be running - which it is, but it is not communicating correctly to the router any longer. And as I earlier suspected, I have confirmed that at least one of the Microsoft Updates sent out on April 10 did indeed provide a security update to UPnP.

Here's why I suspect UPnP:

The WMPNSS requires UPnP in order to work.

WIN XP TEST: Success

First, I ran the Microsoft Internet Connection tool from the Win XP machine on my home network - this is the machine which I have mentioned earlier is succesfully running WMP11 and WMPNSS and streaming media to the various media devices in the house. The results of the UPnP portion of the test on that Win XP machine were SUCCESSFUL, meaning the test was able to correctly configure the router. Also, I could confirm with netstat and TCPView that UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869 were open and active and as a result, the WMPNETWK.EXE process was able to begin communications on TCP 10243 and UDP 3433 -- and it was showing as LISTENING -- I even watched a streaming video on my xbox360 being streamed from the WinXP machine -- all good in the Win XP neighborhood.

HOME SERVER TEST: Failed

Then, I ran the same Microsoft Internet Connection tool from the Home Server console (logged onto the console via RDP). As I suspected, the UPnP portion of the test failed. Here are the results:

UPnP is enabled by the firewall - UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869 are open
    UPnP services are running
    UPnP Discovery is enabled
    Detecting Internet Gateway Devices on the network
    1 IGD(s) found
    IGD Device Information:
    Manufacturer Name : Linksys Inc.
    Model Name : WRT54GS
    Model Number : v1.52.5
    get_StaticPortMappingCollection() returned NULL IStaticPortMappingCollection
    Failed to get port mapping from the IGD

TEST FAILED! You may be unable to experince advanced Windows Media Player and Messenger services.

Additionally, I can indeed confirm that the UPnP services (and it's dependant services) are running on the Home Server, however, UDP port 1900 and TCP port 2869 (which are used by UPnP and which are wide open on the windows firewall) are no where to be seen on a netstat or TCPView.

Both the Home Server and the WinXP machine are connected directly to the same router - which rules out any kind of router incompatability issue.

Why isn't UPnP communicating on those ports?

More later -- I'll keeping poking at this.

Monday, May 5, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  

Which patch was it exactly that had to do with uPnP?  I want to verify that it was installed onto my WHS.  Maybe it would be as simple as going into the control panel and removing it?

Monday, May 5, 2008 4:16 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem.  I just got my XBOX360 to use as a media extender with my HP MediaSmart server...this sux!

I don't see those ports on my netstat -a check, either.

I tried reinstalling wmp11 on whs - gonna kick the kid off gta4 & see if my xbox can see the whs.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I can't get WMP11 to install on WHS. I can extract the setup files to get wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe, however running in XP compatibility mode still gives me
    "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install"
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:21 AM
  • I am trying this again... and posting this image to see whether I'm going crazy or not
    http://evaders.swrebellion.com/evaders99/wmf11.jpg

I am trying to get wmfdist11.exe to run on WHS (I am on it locally, not through remote desktop).
    It extracts and exits with that error message.

On compatibility, it is on "Windows XP" - yes I've hit Apply and Okay. It sticks, it is there on that executable.
    I'm wondering if my compatibility options just don't work or if its this installer Smile
    Friday, June 27, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Did the uPnP issue nget sorted.  My PS3 still can't see my WHS.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:05 PM
  • I have installed WMP 11, the CCCP codecs and the PS3 bluray access registry 'hack' on PP1 and am am now streaming BluRay HDD to my PS3 (the WHS media server is referenced as Server:Adminsitrator on the PS3).

I originally had difficuly setting up the folder monitor (used the direct disk 'shares' configuration) but when I changed to a network lookup (\\server\...), although the same reference was listed in the file table, the scan was faster, did not revist 'duplicated' directories, and completed.  The disk based  "D:\share" seemed to revist the 'duplicated' folders and stopped after 40% complete.

My disks still seem intake and working

s

Friday, July 25, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  

You're not crazy.  I'm having the exact same problem.  I'm just trying to get WMP 11 installed on Windows Server 2003.  Don't know what else to try.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Hi, I'm not sure if you'll be able to help me anyone, but i have just done the WHS WMP11 hack which has worked fine on the WHS. However, on my XBOX 360 now, I can see all the content but can no longer play any of it. Even the standard wmv stuff that used to play will now not play. I have followed the guide on how to do the hack to the letter but am now a bit confused. I have even tried installing the NVidia Pure Decoder and the Matroska pack. But nothing. Any help out there????

Steve
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Big help here - perfect instructions.  I migrated my WHS to a new piece of metal and have Zune + Sonos + WMC all running in tandem.  None of my Sonos players could see the library (my Windows 7 PCs couldnt either) - the above trick did the magic.  Thanks for taking the time to document.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Happy New Year...

It has been over a year since the last entry. I am wondering if anyone has solved this issue of the WMP 11 hack stopping working.

I have a new Sony TV (55NX810) and a PS3. The PS3 can see my WHS and will connect to video shares through the WMC/WMP10 from the original WHS install. But the Bravia TV does not connect to WHS although it does communicate with it enough to get an error stating that is is not a DLNA compliant server. (from the Media Server Connect Troubleshooting menu option).

I would like to try the WMP11 install above but am concerned about breaking WHS. Don't mind taking a risk in the unknown but don't want to do this if there is a known problem with no fix.

Thanks...

Saturday, January 1, 2011 8:41 PM
  • The installation and use of any version of Windows Media Player on Windows Home Server is, technically, unsupported and "at your own risk". Because this requires installation/use of desktop software on your server (not something it's designed for), this does include a certain amount of risk.

If DLNA compliance is a requirement, you may want to try a third-party tool (again, not supported by Microsoft except that they provide an interface for third party tools to plug in), or you may want to wait for the next version of Windows Home Server, which will include DLNA support (as well as additional media types).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Works really well - too bad that WHS doesn't support DLNA out of the box but your advise does the job. Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:11 PM